We get Gomes, Yanks get Wells

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

We get Gomes, Yanks get Wells

enough said

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: We get Gomes, Yanks get Wells

Um, Wells makes 21 million this year.  Gomes makes 5.  I'd say that about sums it where your point is lost.  Though, full disclosure, I actually don't really know what your point is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

and if the Sox whould of signed Wells u would of whined about that.

enough said.

The  NYY signed Ichiro and we signed Victorino.  Nuff said.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

whining about a platoon Bench guy? really?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Gomes was a useless 10,000,000 expenditure...there is nothing he can do that Bradley, Nava, or any AAA outfielder could not have done for a fraction of the price

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

What amazes me is the Angels paid his contract. He would have been cheaper than Gomes. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

David Wells didn't help us much, let the Yanks have him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Um, Wells makes 21 million this year.  Gomes makes 5.  I'd say that about sums it where your point is lost.  Though, full disclosure, I actually don't really know what your point is.

The Angels ate most of Wells' contract. Nice try.

And yet the Yankees are still paying Wells more than the Red Sox are paying Gomes...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

What amazes me is the Angels paid his contract. He would have been cheaper than Gomes. 

Not true.  At least not to people with even moderate math skills and the ability to navigate Google.

The Angels paid $28mill out of the $42mill Wells was owed.  That leaves NY paying $14mill for Wells for two years.  Gomes makes $10mill for 2 years.  $14mill is more than $10mill.  Yes, it still is.

Wells hit .230 / .279 / .403 with 11HRs last year.  What part of that makes him worth $14mill?

Gomes hit .262 / .377 / .491 last year with 18HRs last year.  Is there something wrong with that line?  And he did it in OAKLAND, not Miller Park.  Not in the PCL.  But  #$%# Oakland, a not-so-good hitters park. 

(I admit I was not in favor of  the Gomes signing, but it was not a ridiculous deal like many seem to think.)

Had the Sox acquired Wells and the Yankees signed Gomes for less, would you be whining about that? (Hint: I would hope so.)

Or do you think players with a .682 OPS deserve bigger, more lucrative deals than ones with an .868OPS?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i like how he's rolling right now, but Yanks need to keep him healthy, given Hafner's potential shoulder issue..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It will be interesting to see how the chemistry goes when Tex, Grande, ARod and  Jete make their return. The role players will lose their status--something will be lost--it will be better for MLB when the "Stars" come out. Hopefully the Sox will be within sight of a WC slot and can make things interesting.

The thing that BenC and JF have to keep in mind, no matter what, keep your best players on the ML roster and they will give you your best chance of winning.

The Sox, I believe are guilty of not doing that. I refuse to cast blame but just as you want your best players on the roster--you want to slow the game down to make decisions. That's the great thing about baseball, a manger can slow the game down to his benefit. Maddon is a master at that. 

Who cares whether Gomes batted in the 9th against Rodney--If percentages say Nava or Carp  is  better choice you sit the vet and insert another bat. One batter at a time, one pitch at a time, one runner getting on at a time, make the opposition react to your move. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

but who has teh better beard?

exactly!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

It will be interesting to see how the chemistry goes when Tex, Grande, ARod and  Jete make their return. The role players will lose their status--something will be lost--it will be better for MLB when the "Stars" come out. Hopefully the Sox will be within sight of a WC slot and can make things interesting.

The thing that BenC and JF have to keep in mind, no matter what, keep your best players on the ML roster and they will give you your best chance of winning.

The Sox, I believe are guilty of not doing that. I refuse to cast blame but just as you want your best players on the roster--you want to slow the game down to make decisions. That's the great thing about baseball, a manger can slow the game down to his benefit. Maddon is a master at that. 

Who cares whether Gomes batted in the 9th against Rodney--If percentages say Nava or Carp  is  better choice you sit the vet and insert another bat. One batter at a time, one pitch at a time, one runner getting on at a time, make the opposition react to your move. 

it'll be tough to see them lose playing time, but in the vein of Chavez, Ibanez and Andruw Jones, it will significantly strengthen the bench

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

David Wells didn't help us much, let the Yanks have him.

I remember when David Wells made his debut as a Red Sox (2005 opener) at Yankee stadium.  50,000 Yankee fans were chanting, "A**HOLE" as Wells walked to the mound.   LOL

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts