We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......:
    Yeah.  Him shutting it down would only cost him 4 million or so.  Also I don't think Bill is a racist. That's a big negative, good buddy. Breaker, breaker, Ortiz gets paid the same whether or not he and his agent pay for a second opinon and shut it down in Ellsburian fashion. It will have no affect on his market value for 2013. That's a bingo, in regards to the legendary poster, Bill. He doesn't have a heart of darkness, but he is only a human on this issue.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Of course it would my friend.  A DH, who the legendary poster Bill claims is 42 years old, missing the last two months of the season due to injury, feigned or otherwise, would cost him millions.

Why would it not?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What the Red Sox should do with Big Papi is give the man a 2 year deal and talk to Bobby about maybe making him a player/coach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Son, please, after 511 posts you claim to have pretty high opinions here !!!!  Heck, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" ????  No, I didn't think so........   Please, you need to calm down and "figure out how we do things around here" !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

1)  Quantity of posts is meaningless - just look at your total.  That's just more of your nonsense;
    2)  My (Chilliwings) laptop is being repaired - as I've posted on other threads - so I'm using my gf's which has an old login on auto start.....I've never used both simultaneously before someone accuses me of Pikeism.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe that stuff flies in Japan, but we don't that type of stuff around here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

Boy if he were 42 I would be pretty freaking impressed by this season... 
    Posted by EnchiladaT

42*

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Ortiz is the only Red Sox player who has produced at high level for every year of his contracts. Given Red Sox fans intense desire to "spend the money elsewhere", for years, Ortiz needs to shut it down and call the Yankees about a large one year contract. As much as I disdain the Yankees, they don't have the high number of racist fans that Boston has.
    Posted by TrotterNixon
    Yhe Yanks haven't signed an expensive designated hitter in well over 10 years. The let posada, matsui and giambi play out their contracts and then said goodbye. I assure you, the Yanks have no interest in paying $12M + for a 37 year old (maybe) one dimensional player. If you look at the production they get from Ibanez and Jones - it's not all that much less and it costs about $3.1M combined. The Sox model for a DH is hardly used by any other American League team anymore -- it's outdated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Yhe Yanks haven't signed an expensive designated hitter in well over 10 years. The let posada, matsui and giambi play out their contracts and then said goodbye. I assure you, the Yanks have no interest in paying $12M + for a 37 year old (maybe) one dimensional player. If you look at the production they get from Ibanez and Jones - it's not all that much less and it costs about $3.1M combined. The Sox model for a DH is hardly used by any other American League team anymore -- it's outdated.
    Posted by pri360

I'll bet you weren't saying that when Ortiz's raking was helping us win two championships.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The average DH this year has an OPS of .778.  Ortiz's is 1.024.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Yhe Yanks haven't signed an expensive designated hitter in well over 10 years. The let posada, matsui and giambi play out their contracts and then said goodbye. I assure you, the Yanks have no interest in paying $12M + for a 37 year old (maybe) one dimensional player. If you look at the production they get from Ibanez and Jones - it's not all that much less and it costs about $3.1M combined. The Sox model for a DH is hardly used by any other American League team anymore -- it's outdated.
    Posted by pri360
    That's good. Because all of my darkest nightmares involve David Ortiz in a Yankees jersey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : I'll bet you weren't saying that when Ortiz's raking was helping us win two championships.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    That was a long time a go - 5 years is one third of most baseball player's career. Steinbrenner coveted him, but for all the talk of Yankee avarice; they don't thow money away like they used to. The A-rod contract was a huge mistake and the Jeter contract was at a substantial discount from the last one ... aside form that; they are getting their money's worth on all of their signings (they had to write off Burnett). Like I said... the game's changed... if Ortiz ever played for the Yankees; it would because he wanted to be in NY and was willing to play for A LOT LESS. It would be a good move for him; less controversy; shorter porch, better chance of winning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

The average DH this year has an OPS of .778.  Ortiz's is 1.024.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    Thats becasue its not a premium position anymore.
    It's a resting place for older players; a lefty- righty platoon. Only the Sox are doing it this way. Maybe Youklis (a great talent) could have lasted longer; if you could have played him more at DH without Big Papi throwing a tantrum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : That's good. Because all of my darkest nightmares involve David Ortiz in a Yankees jersey.
    Posted by carnie

I'm pretty sure it won't happen  - unless Big Papi decides to play for the fun of it instead of top dollar. Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Thats becasue its not a premium position anymore. It's a resting place for older players; a lefty- righty platoon. Only the Sox are doing it this way. Maybe Youklis (a great talent) could have lasted longer; if you could have played him more at DH without Big Papi throwing a tantrum.
    Posted by pri360

Ortiz is simply not one of our problems this year.  The fact that we have the best DH in the league is not a problem.  It's been one of our few advantages.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Posted by pri360

Ortiz's OPS is 250 points higher than both Ibanez and Jones.  That's like saying the dropoff between Mike Trout and Denard Span isn't all that significant.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Ortiz is simply not one of our problems this year.  The fact that we have the best DH in the league is not a problem.  It's been one of our few advantages.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I agree with you 100% -- he's not the problem ... he's great this year. I was just saying that I don't think the yankees are dying to snap him up at that price. The sox made the same mistake with ortiz that the yanks did with Arod -- they didn't establish what the market was for him before they signed him. Do you think that another team will pay him $ 14M next year. Wouldn't you rather sign another starter and try to replace that porduction with a lower cost alternative?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : I agree with you 100% -- he's not the problem ... he's great this year. I was just saying that I don't think the yankees are dying to snap him up at that price. The sox made the same mistake with ortiz that the yanks did with Arod -- they didn't establish what the market was for him before they signed him. Do you think that another team will pay him $ 14M next year. Wouldn't you rather sign another starter and try to replace that porduction with a lower cost alternative?
    Posted by pri360

Ortiz has the highest OPS in the league, so his production can't be replaced.

The only issue with David IMO is his age.  Obviously he can't keep doing this for too much longer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Ortiz's OPS is 250 points higher than both Ibanez and Jones.  That's like saying the dropoff between Mike Trout and Denard Span isn't all that significant.
    Posted by slomag
    yeah; yeah OPS is great ... but not at that cost. Its a great way to evaluate players, but Ortiz has only driven in more than 100 once in the last 5 years; and at some point you have to spend your money where you need it the most - and you can replace that run production for millions less.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ortiz is the last person anyone should be harping on....

really....why start a thread directing an attack on his age?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Ortiz has the highest OPS in the league, so his production can't be replaced. The only issue with David IMO is his age.  Obviously he can't keep doing this for too much longer.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    see my answer to slomag - we agree to disagree. Of course he can be replaced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Ortiz is the last person anyone should be harping on.... really....why start a thread directing an attack on his age?
    Posted by Iceman4
    I think it was because he is saying he's not close to returning; and some were speculating that he may not return in time to make much of a difference. Is it fair to say that if he comes back on Sept 1 and the team is still playing .500 ball - that no matter how good he is - it probably won't matter?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : yeah; yeah OPS is great ... but not at that cost. Its a great way to evaluate players, but Ortiz has only driven in more than 100 once in the last 5 years; and at some point you have to spend your money where you need it the most - and you can replace that run production for millions less.
    Posted by pri360

Your statement about RBI is only true if you count this year, which is only 2/3 over, and his injury-shortened 2008.  And then, Ortiz came up one shy (99) in 2009, and 4 shy (96) in 2011, when the guy in front of him drove in 117 and ran at the speed of smell.  Call me crazy, but OPS seems like a better formula.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts