We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......

what do you mean COOKED?
    Talent-wise ( I would disagree in that case)
    or
    he just doesn't want to return to the Sox?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ortiz has the highest OPS in the league, so his production can't be replaced.

The only issue with David IMO is his age.  Obviously he can't keep doing this for too much longer.

Another issue is his production in the clutch.

He has only 2 walk-off Hrs since the start of 2008 and none since the start of  2010.
    He has only one game ending hit since the start of 2010.

Late & Close:
    2012: .697
    2011: .895
    2010: .643
    2009: .709

I know he hasn't had much line-up protection since Manny left, but many hitters in MLb have had lesser hitters behind them and done better than this,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI".......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : 2 year deal ?????   You don't get it......  The guy aint coming back, he is done, COOKED !!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]Don't even bother Bill. You have no defense on this one. Not only are you capping on maybe the greatest post season hero in Red Sox history, but you want to write off a player who is still very productive. It's beyond dumb. Are you really a Red Sox fan at all?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]what do you mean COOKED? Talent-wise ( I would disagree in that case) or he just doesn't want to return to the Sox?
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]"LET ME BE CLEAR", one more time, "SPLAIN"......   hE CAN'T WALK, MEANING HE CAN'T RUN, CAN'T PLAY, DONE ,OVER, AND JUST ABOUT OUT OF BASEBALL !!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Your statement about RBI is only true if you count this year, which is only 2/3 over, and his injury-shortened 2008.  And then, Ortiz came up one shy (99) in 2009, and 4 shy (96) in 2011, when the guy in front of him drove in 117 and ran at the speed of smell.  Call me crazy, but OPS seems like a better formula.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]look at his run scored over the last 5 years as well, which is a better indication of how well he does with that high on base percentage. Also kind of pedestrian. As for the only 2/3 over part. If a guy can't play, those are his numbers. With Youklis; fans were in love with his OPS, but if a guy is only playing 120 games a year than obviously a lesser player is filling for the other 25% of the time and the true value to the team is diluted. If Papi comes back on the 15th of august, do you think he will drive in 42 runs in 46 games? Once again; this is not about whether he is a special player or not - he is -I am simply positing that to this team - he is too expensive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : "LET ME BE CLEAR", one more time, "SPLAIN"......   hE CAN'T WALK, MEANING HE CAN'T RUN, CAN'T PLAY, DONE ,OVER, AND JUST ABOUT OUT OF BASEBALL !!!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I disagree. (Really that's all I can say...you are wrong and we will see)

Moon, unfortunately I semi-disagree with you also...I don't think the drop will be huge even with the age....he has shown this year that he is still heads and shoulders above alot of our other players.

Now , if he is frustrated and doesn't want to be on the Sox...that's a different matter

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz has the highest OPS in the league, so his production can't be replaced. The only issue with David IMO is his age.  Obviously he can't keep doing this for too much longer. Another issue is his production in the clutch. He has only 2 walk-off Hrs since the start of 2008 and none since the start of  2010. He has only one game ending hit since the start of 2010. Late & Close: 2012: .697 2011: .895 2010: .643 2009: .709 I know he hasn't had much line-up protection since Manny left, but many hitters in MLb have had lesser hitters behind them and done better than this,
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]wow - do you think - considering this team's needs - that they should pay him $ 14m or more next year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : wow - do you think - considering this team's needs - that they should pay him $ 14m or more next year?
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Did you see the post about how Ortiz has the highest OPS in the AL.  You dont think the best hitter in the AL is worth 14 mil / year?

He's worht 14million EASY.  He's not just our DH.  He's our #3 hitter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : look at his run scored over the last 5 years as well, which is a better indication of how well he does with that high on base percentage. Also kind of pedestrian. As for the only 2/3 over part. If a guy can't play, those are his numbers. With Youklis; fans were in love with his OPS, but if a guy is only playing 120 games a year than obviously a lesser player is filling for the other 25% of the time and the true value to the team is diluted. If Papi comes back on the 15th of august, do you think he will drive in 42 runs in 46 games? Once again; this is not about whether he is a special player or not - he is -I am simply positing that to this team - he is too expensive.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Since Ortiz became a fulltime player in 2004 he has played at least 145 games 7 times out of 9 seasons.  Questioning his durability is silly.  If that's what this is about I assume you think Ellsbury should be long gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : look at his run scored over the last 5 years as well, which is a better indication of how well he does with that high on base percentage. Also kind of pedestrian. As for the only 2/3 over part. If a guy can't play, those are his numbers. With Youklis; fans were in love with his OPS, but if a guy is only playing 120 games a year than obviously a lesser player is filling for the other 25% of the time and the true value to the team is diluted. If Papi comes back on the 15th of august, do you think he will drive in 42 runs in 46 games? Once again; this is not about whether he is a special player or not - he is -I am simply positing that to this team - he is too expensive.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Well, this is the first time he's been on the DL since 2008.  For this team, he's an iron man.  If he comes back on August 15th, and the lineup is featuring Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Salty, Ross, Middlebrooks & Aviles ... yeah, I think he's got a shot at 100 RBI, and 100 runs scored, even with the time he missed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Nothing like spreading stupid rumors when you've got nothing better to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Well, this is the first time he's been on the DL since 2008.  For this team, he's an iron man.  If he comes back on August 15th, and the lineup is featuring Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Salty, Ross, Middlebrooks & Aviles ... yeah, I think he's got a shot at 100 RBI, and 100 runs scored, even with the time he missed.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]How strong the lineup is not that relevant. especially when you consider that most of the guys batting ahead of him are not playing up to their potential. We've gone around the bend on this discussion more than a few times - I'm simply saying -- he's not worth the money - you never said whether you think the Sox should sign him next year - even with his 1.000 OPS - for $ 14M plus?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Yes.  Did you see the post about how Ortiz has the highest OPS in the AL.  You dont think the best hitter in the AL is worth 14 mil / year? He's worht 14million EASY.  He's not just our DH.  He's our #3 hitter. 
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]Thats really high praise and I remember Theo calling JD Drew the best hitting rightfielder in AL because of his OPS; and then Youklis; and last year it was Gonzalez. I would be very careful about throwing that "best hitter in the AL" moniker around. Miguel Cabrera, Pujols, Trout (small sample size), Cano - they're all regarded as more desirable than Ortiz. As a yankee fan; I hope ortiz does sign up with The Sox next year for $ 15m or more - I think it will keep the team from getting better sooner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Since Ortiz became a fulltime player in 2004 he has played at least 145 games 7 times out of 9 seasons.  Questioning his durability is silly.  If that's what this is about I assume you think Ellsbury should be long gone.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]I didn't question his durability - if at the end of the year - he drives in 90 to 95 runs (maybe becuase he was hurt), the team misses the playoff -- and he wants $ 14M plus next year at age 38 - do you pay him? Why doesn't anyone besides Drewski want to answer that question?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : I didn't question his durability - if at the end of the year - he drives in 90 to 95 runs (maybe becuase he was hurt), the team misses the playoff -- and he wants $ 14M plus next year at age 38 - do you pay him? Why doesn't anyone besides Drewski want to answer that question?
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Yes, I would.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]So would I, but I think I said that earlier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Does this forum want to leave this for discussion in the dark, dreary days in November?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Does this forum want to leave this for discussion in the dark, dreary days in November?
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Obviously not.  We'll discuss it again in November.  Thanks for your input though. Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Gotta love the the guaranteed contracts.  The only positive here is this union doesn't raise my taxes every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

[QUOTE]Does this forum want to leave this for discussion in the dark, dreary days in November?
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Are you asking that because you really want answer or do you think that this thread topic is only appropriate for November based on your own criteria?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : Yes, I would.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Well the sox are probably going to get the chance to; because I don't think any other team will offer anything more than 50% of that number. Should be interesting to see it play out. Thanks guys!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have seen the last of one "BIG PAPI"....... : How strong the lineup is not that relevant. especially when you consider that most of the guys batting ahead of him are not playing up to their potential. We've gone around the bend on this discussion more than a few times - I'm simply saying -- he's not worth the money - you never said whether you think the Sox should sign him next year - even with his 1.000 OPS - for $ 14M plus?
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

In a heartbeat - I'd sign him to a 3-year, $30M deal with a cheap buyout on the third year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, unfortunately I semi-disagree with you also...I don't think the drop will be huge even with the age....he has shown this year that he is still heads and shoulders above alot of our other players.

When did I say he would have a "huge decline"?

All I mentioned was his drop off in key hits over the last few years, partially due to being pitched around when it counts...

He has only 2 walk-off Hrs since the start of 2008 and none since the start of  2010.
    He has only one game ending hit since the start of 2010.

Late & Close:
    2012: .697
    2011: .895
    2010: .643
    2009: .709

I know he hasn't had much line-up protection since Manny left, but many hitters in MLB have had lesser hitters behind them and done better than this.

I have mentioned several times offering Papi a deal like this (adjusted to player option year)...

2013: $15M (+$500K for 450+ PAs and $500K for 550+ PAs)
    2014: $14M (+$500K for 450+PAs, $500K for 500+, $500K for 550+, and $500K for 600+)
    2015: $6M player option with $1M club buyout.

Deal counts as $30M/3 towards the luxury tax or $10M/yr.

I want Papi back, but do not think it is the end of the world if we replace him with Lava and others from within (and possibly Ross on a 1 year arb deal) and use the $15M towards getting a guy like Hamilton in RF or Greinke at starting pitcher. The drop off at DH could be made up for at other positions (including  a returning to form Ellsbury in CF during his contract year).

Sections
Shortcuts