We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better

From “Wait ‘til Next Year” to “Missed the Playoffs Again, Dmit!” 

Wistful thinking, those days of annual frustration, when we as a community of hard wired Red Sox fans, were caught up in that annual mantra, whether the season ended in June and being 15 games out, not behind the Yanquis so often as the Birds of Ballymore, or in closer to the end of the whole season.   

Earl Weaver was the real boss, guiding his clubs to the top so often.  Ancient days, those.  Some before free agency, some after, but Earl’s troops were often the home grown talent that came out of the best minor league system in the majors.  I was jealous of that unending treadmill of talent.  (Remember, I was a child then, so the handful of years I recall seemed longer then than they do now.)   Then an interloper from Tampa came into the picture and said he would rebuild the glory of the Bombers at any cost.   

And he did.

And baseball has paid the price since, in trying to keep up w ith the interloper’s dream and drive.

I digress.  

In those days, the Red Sox had special times.  The Summer of ’67 was magical, of course.  But more often than not, we looked forward, adjusting our disappointment for another off season and expecting to finally getting past that one barrier we all suffered through.  I know I could mention other summers, but that only magnifies the point of that barrier.  But we sure did love the Sox back then didn’t we?  We rooted for them through the thick and thin. Some years were so close, it was heart-breaking.  But we still pulled ourselves up and anticipated the possibilities of the season to come.  “Next year.”  A sure as the autumn leaves changing, the chorus seemed part of Fall in New England … and those of us still tied there by heart strings. 

Then, the miracle near the Arch came true …  some might say the miracle was coming back against the Yanquis … in 2004 and we won the elusive crown.  SO much was made right in that timeless moment.  The revisitng of that miracle at Mile High a few seasons later was tremendous. But something shifted.  Something changed. 

We went from standing behind the Sox, no matter what, to expecting so much that we went from being devoted to devouring …

A question:  Since we have now tasted the fruit of the success, does it mean we deserve to always be on top?

Sure, we have an ownership group that has spent a ton of money.  We have argued the merits of how well or poorly they have spent it down to the last possible pen stroke of almost any written language.

But the actual fact is they have helped produce the only two World Series Championships any of us as Red Sox fans have ever experienced, unless we have some who someone still living from 1918 in our midst.  An old German saying announces, “Forever is a long bargain.”  While 1918 until 2004 isn’t forever, it may as well be.  An eternity of frustration finally set aside in the glee of winning … and what have we for it?

The fevered expectation, fair or not, that we should be biting into that golden apple each year.  Now we have had three, almost surely four, seasons – the length of my time in high school and 2/3’s the time I spent in college – not even making it into the play offs, and we are angry, brattish, boorish impatient and unpleasant.

Wait til next year is a four letter … phrase, not word.  It appears we are incapable of handling loss with dignity and grace.  It appears we need to tear apart the very thing we have loved for so long.  We go at it from every angle.  Each player, each play, each moment of loss … we have a knee jerk reaction of gross unsportsmanship.  We not only dissect the play, we dissect the player – or coach, manager or FO member.

We were the “loveable losers.”  Irritating moniker that it was, it did speak of handling long term disappointment with a certain honorable dignity.

I don’t ever want to give up the thrill of winning.  It is beyond description.
    But I do very much wish we could become as ravenous in our sportsmanship and support as we apparently are in loss and disappointment.

“Wait til next year” built a community of expectation in the face of on-going unfulfilled dreams.  Now that we have had those dreams fulfilled, is it possible to love the Sox in hard times? Or are we just too good for that anymore?  Are we just too expectant in our exception that … we model other franchises we have long held an antipathy towards because …       Are we entitled.  Or are we … better sports than that?         I prefer to hope for the best, even yet.   And when necessary, wait for next year with anticipation, not scowling dread.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better

In Response to We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better:
    [QUOTE]From “Wait ‘til Next Year” to “Missed the Playoffs Again, Dmit!”   Wistful thinking, those days of annual frustration, when we as a community of hard wired Red Sox fans, were caught up in that annual mantra, whether the season ended in June and being 15 games out, not behind the Yanquis so often as the Birds of Ballymore, or in closer to the end of the whole season.     Earl Weaver was the real boss, guiding his clubs to the top so often.   Ancient days, those.   Some before free agency, some after, but Earl’s troops were often the home grown talent that came out of the best minor league system in the majors.   I was jealous of that unending treadmill of talent.   (Remember, I was a child then, so the handful of years I recall seemed longer then than they do now.    Then an interloper from Tama came into the picture and said he would rebuild the glory of the Bombers at any cost.      And he did.   And baseball had paid the price since, in trying to keep up w  ith the interloper’s dream and drive. I digress.    In those days, the Red Sox had special times.   The Summer of ’67 was magical, of course.   But more often than not, we looked forward, adjusting our disappointment for another off season and expecting to finally getting past that one barrier we all suffered through.   I know I could mention other summers, but that only magnifies the point of that barrier.   But we sure did love the Sox back then didn’t we?   We rooted for them through the thick and thin.   Some years were so close, it was heart-breaking.   But we still pulled ourselves up and anticipated the possibilities of the season to come.   “Next year.”   A sure as the autumn leaves changing, the chorus seemed part of Fall in New England … and those of us still tied there by heart strings.   Then, the miracle near the Arch came true …   some might say the miracle was coming back against the Yanquis … in 2004 and we won the elusive crown.   SO much was made right in that timeless moment.   The revisitng of that miracle at Mile High a few seasons later was tremendous.   But something shifted.   Something changed.   We went from standing behind the Sox, no matter what, to expecting so much that we went from being devoted to devouring …   A question:   Since we have now tasted the fruit of the success, does it mean we deserve to always be on top? Sure, we have an ownership group that has spent a ton of money.   We have argued the merits of how well or poorly they have spent it down to the last possible pen stroke of almost any written language. But the actual fact is they have helped produce the only two World Series Championships any of us as Red Sox fans have ever experienced, unless we have some who someone still living from 1918 in our midst.   An old German saying announces, “Forever is a long bargain.”   While 1918 until 2004 isn’t forever, it may as well be.   An eternity of frustration finally set aside in the glee of winning … and what have we for it? The fevered expectation, fair or not, that we should be biting into that golden apple each year.   Now we have had three, almost surely four, seasons – the length of my time in high school and 2/3’s the time I spent in college – not even making it into the play offs, and we are angry, brattish, boorish impatient and unpleasant. Wait til next year is a four letter … phrase, not word.   It appears we are incapable of handling loss with dignity and grace.   It appears we need to tear apart the very thing we have loved for so long.   We go at it from every angle.   Each player, each play, each moment of loss … we have a knee jerk reaction of gross unsportsmanship.   We not only dissect the play, we dissect the player – or coach, manager or FO member. We were the “loveable losers.”   Irritating moniker that it was, it did speak of handling long term disappointment with a certain honorable dignity. I don’t ever want to give up the thrill of winning.   It is beyond description. But I do very much wish we could become as ravenous in our sportsmanship and support as we apparently are in loss and disappointment. “Wait til next year” built a community of expectation in the face of on-going unfulfilled dreams.   Now that we have had those dreams fulfilled, is it possible to love the Sox in hard times?   Or are we just too good for that anymore?   Are we just too expectant in our exception that … we model other franchises we have long held an antipathy towards because …         Are we entitled.   Or are we … better sports than that?            I prefer to hope for the best, even yet.     And when necessary, wait for next year with anticipation, not scowling dread.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

An excellent read, Yaz.

Thank you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]From “Wait ‘til Next Year” to “Missed the Playoffs Again, Dmit!”   Wistful thinking, those days of annual frustration, when we as a community of hard wired Red Sox fans, were caught up in that annual mantra, whether the season ended in June and being 15 games out, not behind the Yanquis so often as the Birds of Ballymore, or in closer to the end of the whole season.     Earl Weaver was the real boss, guiding his clubs to the top so often.   Ancient days, those.   Some before free agency, some after, but Earl’s troops were often the home grown talent that came out of the best minor league system in the majors.   I was jealous of that unending treadmill of talent.   (Remember, I was a child then, so the handful of years I recall seemed longer then than they do now.    Then an interloper from Tama came into the picture and said he would rebuild the glory of the Bombers at any cost.      And he did.   And baseball had paid the price since, in trying to keep up w  ith the interloper’s dream and drive. I digress.    In those days, the Red Sox had special times.   The Summer of ’67 was magical, of course.   But more often than not, we looked forward, adjusting our disappointment for another off season and expecting to finally getting past that one barrier we all suffered through.   I know I could mention other summers, but that only magnifies the point of that barrier.   But we sure did love the Sox back then didn’t we?   We rooted for them through the thick and thin.   Some years were so close, it was heart-breaking.   But we still pulled ourselves up and anticipated the possibilities of the season to come.   “Next year.”   A sure as the autumn leaves changing, the chorus seemed part of Fall in New England … and those of us still tied there by heart strings.   Then, the miracle near the Arch came true …   some might say the miracle was coming back against the Yanquis … in 2004 and we won the elusive crown.   SO much was made right in that timeless moment.   The revisitng of that miracle at Mile High a few seasons later was tremendous.   But something shifted.   Something changed.   We went from standing behind the Sox, no matter what, to expecting so much that we went from being devoted to devouring …   A question:   Since we have now tasted the fruit of the success, does it mean we deserve to always be on top? Sure, we have an ownership group that has spent a ton of money.   We have argued the merits of how well or poorly they have spent it down to the last possible pen stroke of almost any written language. But the actual fact is they have helped produce the only two World Series Championships any of us as Red Sox fans have ever experienced, unless we have some who someone still living from 1918 in our midst.   An old German saying announces, “Forever is a long bargain.”   While 1918 until 2004 isn’t forever, it may as well be.   An eternity of frustration finally set aside in the glee of winning … and what have we for it? The fevered expectation, fair or not, that we should be biting into that golden apple each year.   Now we have had three, almost surely four, seasons – the length of my time in high school and 2/3’s the time I spent in college – not even making it into the play offs, and we are angry, brattish, boorish impatient and unpleasant. Wait til next year is a four letter … phrase, not word.   It appears we are incapable of handling loss with dignity and grace.   It appears we need to tear apart the very thing we have loved for so long.   We go at it from every angle.   Each player, each play, each moment of loss … we have a knee jerk reaction of gross unsportsmanship.   We not only dissect the play, we dissect the player – or coach, manager or FO member. We were the “loveable losers.”   Irritating moniker that it was, it did speak of handling long term disappointment with a certain honorable dignity. I don’t ever want to give up the thrill of winning.   It is beyond description. But I do very much wish we could become as ravenous in our sportsmanship and support as we apparently are in loss and disappointment. “Wait til next year” built a community of expectation in the face of on-going unfulfilled dreams.   Now that we have had those dreams fulfilled, is it possible to love the Sox in hard times?   Or are we just too good for that anymore?   Are we just too expectant in our exception that … we model other franchises we have long held an antipathy towards because …         Are we entitled.   Or are we … better sports than that?            I prefer to hope for the best, even yet.     And when necessary, wait for next year with anticipation, not scowling dread.

If the defeat was rare, and its taste not bitter, the taste of victory would not be so sweet.  I think those that feel entitled to victory forget this.  Rare is the dynasty of the Weaver O's, the Torre Yankees.  The great run of Sox success in the Francona era was not dynastic by any means, but, given what we Sox fans had endured prior, it took us to dizzying heights.  Many are still experiencing the come down from this, expecting that rarified air every season.  But it is almost impossible to sustain.  Players decline, players underperform, management makes mistakes, farms delplete.  Baseball is very fickle this way.  Everything has to align.  Some on this board make it sound like that should be easy to do.  But patience is required.  And patience is something Sox fans should have in abundance.  but it seems to have eroded at the mountain top.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better:
    [QUOTE]I'll need the Cliff Notes for that blather.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's how you passed law school ....

Just call me F. Lee Blather.

:o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : I suppose that's how you passed law school ....    Just call me F. Lee Blather.     :o)

Shame on you Yaz.  You just posted an ad hom attack to his de facto response.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : An excellent read, Yaz. Thank you!
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Gratzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : If the defeat was rare, and its taste not bitter, the taste of victory would not be so sweet.  I think those that feel entitled to victory forget this.  Rare is the dynasty of the Weaver O's, the Torre Yankees.  The great run of Sox success in the Francona era was not dynastic by any means, but, given what we Sox fans had endured prior, it took us to dizzying heights.  Many are still experiencing the come down from this, expecting that rarified air every season.  But it is almost impossible to sustain.  Players decline, players underperform, management makes mistakes, farms delplete.  Baseball is very fickle this way.  Everything has to align.  Some on this board make it sound like that should be easy to do.  But patience is required.  And patience is something Sox fans should have in abundance.  but it seems to have eroded at the mountain top.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well said, Spaceman, well said,

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent post!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

One nods, humbly, in appreciation

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I guess my reaction to the whole decline of the Sox thing is that if you are not going to hunt with the big dogs...stay on the porch.

Teams don't have rebuilding years when their payroll is 180M.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : I suppose that's how you passed law school ....    Just call me F. Lee Blather.     :o)

Well played sir.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the root of all evil !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Bill,

You are very close, very close.   It is the LOVE of "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the root of all evil "

:o)   And at that I will not attempt to discuss long term, high cost contracts further.  Our friend Moon has done a very fine job with that.  I defer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : Shame on you Yaz.  You just posted an ad hom attack to his de facto response.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Sorry I mised that the first time around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]We were the “loveable losers.”   Irritating moniker that it was, it did speak of handling long term disappointment with a certain honorable dignity.
    Eloquently written, Yaz.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I guess my reaction to the whole decline of the Sox thing is that if you are not going to hunt with the big dogs...stay on the porch. Teams don't have rebuilding years when their payroll is 180M.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Mistakes made in judgement are mistakes.  The money spent was made in good faith, as far as I am concerned. 

A few years ago, Detroit had spent even more than we did (we...   ha...) and they foundered all season long.  They are still chasing the ChiSox even with Fielder added.   The Angels were nearly crowned when they signed Pujols and CJ .... adn yet they have struggled to get into the playoff picture and trail the Rangers by a bit .... 

The Phillies are foundering even after signing Lee, Holladay and landing Hunter Spence ... and they have spent sa much or more than the Sox.

Big money doesn't translate into championships all the time.  We know that.

But as a Red Sox fan, I'm a fan whether we do as well as hoped for or not.

Hopefully they will do better  ... and my allegiance isn't based on where they end up.

AND my sense that we can be better sports in the whole matter is part of the whole way I was raised in sport and life.  I don't kick a man when he's down.  I don't laugh at the guy I beat.  Unless he's a Yanqui    .... j/k  :o)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : Eloquently written, Yaz.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thx ... we remember it well, don't we Hill?

The eloquence is really the way the Sox have woven their way into our many and varied lives.  I'm a Celtics fan and played basketball further than I played baseball ... loved seeing Bill Russel,  Hondo, the Redhead, JoJo White and so many others ... but for some reason, the Red Sox have a deeper even ethereal connection ...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boy, do I disagree with the OP.

Listen up, sonny.  I've been a Sox fan since reading box scores in the Stars & Stripes in 1949.  I missed all of 1967 because I was in Vietnam.  But I can tell you this from long experience:  I love having high expectations.  I love having an owner and management who are trying to produce a playoff team every year.  I do not want to say after this season, "well, I guess we're back to shovelling stuff in backbay Boston, back to the comfort of low expectations, and ain't it great?" 

Every sensible fan knows his team is going to go thru ups and down.  The Braves won the NL East like 12 years in a row and haven't been back but might this year.  Even the Yankees have missed a time or two over the past decade.  This was a bad year, but that should not mean we should give up on next year.

The Henry shift was a good shift, the right shift. Now he needs to look at his brain trust, from Werner and Luchhino down to the coaches, and decide if they are the right guys to continue competing with the best in baseball.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Boy, do I disagree with the OP. Listen up, sonny.  I've been a Sox fan since reading box scores in the Stars & Stripes in 1949.  I missed all of 1967 because I was in Vietnam.  But I can tell you this from long experience:  I love having high expectations.  I love having an owner and management who are trying to produce a playoff team every year.  I do not want to say after this season, "well, I guess we're back to shovelling stuff in backbay Boston, back to the comfort of low expectations, and ain't it great?"  Every sensible fan knows his team is going to go thru ups and down.  The Braves won the NL East like 12 years in a row and haven't been back but might this year.  Even the Yankees have missed a time or two over the past decade.  This was a bad year, but that should not mean we should give up on next year. The Henry shift was a good shift, the right shift. Now he needs to look at his brain trust, from Werner and Luchhino down to the coaches, and decide if they are the right guys to continue competing with the best in baseball.  
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I am all for high expectations.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Boy, do I disagree with the OP. Listen up, sonny.  I've been a Sox fan since reading box scores in the Stars & Stripes in 1949.  I missed all of 1967 because I was in Vietnam.  But I can tell you this from long experience:  I love having high expectations.  I love having an owner and management who are trying to produce a playoff team every year.  I do not want to say after this season, "well, I guess we're back to shovelling stuff in backbay Boston, back to the comfort of low expectations, and ain't it great?"  Every sensible fan knows his team is going to go thru ups and down.  The Braves won the NL East like 12 years in a row and haven't been back but might this year.  Even the Yankees have missed a time or two over the past decade.  This was a bad year, but that should not mean we should give up on next year. The Henry shift was a good shift, the right shift. Now he needs to look at his brain trust, from Werner and Luchhino down to the coaches, and decide if they are the right guys to continue competing with the best in baseball.  
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Hehe

You got me by a lot of years, Max. I was not even a gleam in Dad's eye (mine, not Bill's) in 1949.  He had two more gleams before me after '49, two before '49 ... I wasn't around as an air breather until Jan of '56.  

I can only state I started in '62 as a Sox fan.

At which point I will stop and thank you for your service in Nam.  I know there may be ambiguity about the "police effort" there, but I never had anything but appreciation for those who have served.  I cannot imagine the harrowing experience it might have been.  I'm know I am not ever going to know the experience or the ones my son has had in Iraq.  I am ever grateful for the gift of your service.

Please understand that I'm not speaking of lowering expectations.  I am speaking of appropriate expression for one's team.   Expression of support, expression of disappointment ... there is a better way than the personal attacks I have read many times here.  

I think I spoke clearly that the Henry team has made break through commitments and steps.  Therefore, I am not attempting to impeach them.  (In one place, I firmly disapprove of how Tito was removed ... but that is a singular point.)

Thanks, pappy, for your insight!   :o)  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Yaz....it was an eloquent Post, and your sentiment wrings true in some ways, but I dont look longingly back at the days when we were loveable losers.....I enjoyed the winning.....38 years of rooting for a team that didnt win and broke your heart was tough. I personally find that not winning is easier on me these days....I have my Championship memories....too many great Sox fans never did. I find these days, I want to win maybe even more than I did before 2004, but I can deal with being out of it much better....next year still brings promise, the game in itself still brings pleasure, it still connects us with our children and our parents....but it is so much easier for life to go on around it. I would never want to be a yankee fan who expects to win every year, and despite the few and despite the complaints, I dont think there are many true Red Sox fans who would.....at least not those who suffered long before 2004. There be a new generation, who were born in the 1990's who dont know any better, but they may have to learn the lessons of the past.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : Hehe   You got me by a lot of years, Max. I was not even a gleam in Dad's eye (mine, not Bill's) in 1949.  He had two more gleams before me after '49, two before '49 ... I wasn't around as an air breather until Jan of '56.     I can only state I started in '62 as a Sox fan.   At which point I will stop and thank you for your service in Nam.  I know there may be ambiguity about the "police effort" there, but I never had anything but appreciation for those who have served.  I cannot imagine the harrowing experience it might have been.  I'm know I am not ever going to know the experience or the ones my son has had in Iraq.  I am ever grateful for the gift of your service.   Please understand that I'm not speaking of lowering expectations.  I am speaking of appropriate expression for one's team.   Expression of support, expression of disappointment ... there is a better way than the personal attacks I have read many times here.     I think I spoke clearly that the Henry team has made break through commitments and steps.  Therefore, I am not attempting to impeach them.  (In one place, I firmly disapprove of how Tito was removed ... but that is a singular point.)   Thanks, pappy, for your insight!   :o)      

OK.  If you are saying we should not go ballistic over this year, I agree.  Stuff happens--injuries, bad years, bad coaches, whatever.  In fact, I feel lucky as heck to have lived to see 2004 and 2007 because I had an uncle who followed the Sox for over 70 years and did not quite make it to the 2004 WS. So right now for me John Henry and company are still playing with house money.

What really cemented me into the Sox camp were the summers of 53 and 54, living in W. Springfield (dad was in Korea), and listening to Curt Gowdy call the Sox games.  Huge Williams fan, of course. Vietnam was just one year, no big deal, and I know plenty who did a lot more, but the guys and gals I really admire are the ones in this fracas, a very tough row to hoe.  The police action was Korea, which by and large turned out to be a success, if a "forgotten" one, which it isn't.

Sections
Shortcuts