We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better

Screw that, I'm going ballistic, I've been a Sox fan since mid-60s and that was when I was capped with a Sox cap on my bald baby head. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better:
    In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : OK.  If you are saying we should not go ballistic over this year, I agree.  Stuff happens--injuries, bad years, bad coaches, whatever.  In fact, I feel lucky as heck to have lived to see 2004 and 2007 because I had an uncle who followed the Sox for over 70 years and did not quite make it to the 2004 WS. So right now for me John Henry and company are still playing with house money. What really cemented me into the Sox camp were the summers of 53 and 54, living in W. Springfield (dad was in Korea), and listening to Curt Gowdy call the Sox games.  Huge Williams fan, of course. Vietnam was just one year, no big deal, and I know plenty who did a lot more, but the guys and gals I really admire are the ones in this fracas, a very tough row to hoe.  The police action was Korea, which by and large turned out to be a success, if a "forgotten" one, which it isn't.
    Posted by maxbialystock

I envy your days of both Williams and Curt Gowdy.  The best I could do with Teddy was read his expert advice in the Sports Illistrateds that he gave both batting and fishing advice.  We soaked up that information as gospel.

As a matter of fact, even though we loved Yaz, Rico, Boomer and, Reggie ...and mourned for Tony C ... we  - my best friends and I - all wished we could see Teddy  play.  A couple did, but they were only 3 or 4 at the time and there isn't much to say ...  (I didn't mention pitchers cuz we were talking of hitters...)

I apologize for the tongue-in-cheek reference to police action ... it was often part of the discussion in the day as to whether it was a war or an action like Korea.  Nam ended in my sr. year in HS, so I wasn't a part of it.   My lottery number was 11 ... so I certainly would have been.

But to the early point, yes.  No need to get so wharped out of shape that we get boorish.  I agree with your notion of Henry playing with house money.  I am not saying let's get used to losing. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yaz....it was an eloquent Post, and your sentiment wrings true in some ways, but I dont look longingly back at the days when we were loveable losers.....I enjoyed the winning (Count me in as delirious!  And living in the land of the enemy as I did and do, the anguish of NYY fans over the '04 ALCS was all the more delicious.) .....38 years of rooting for a team that didnt win and broke your heart was tough. I personally find that not winning is easier on me these days (I feel a similar sense.  But I in no way mean to diminish the disheartening feeling of losing.  I'm just not willing to take my upset out on the team.  If you read Spaceman's first reponse, that is very much how I feel. I do know that when it all comes together, it's remarkable.  But when it comes apart, it isn't always preventable.  There is no such thing as a sure thing.) ....I have my Championship memories....too many great Sox fans never did. I find these days, I want to win maybe even more than I did before 2004, but I can deal with being out of it much better  (yup, but I know that doesn't mean you or I are satisfied with it)....next year still brings promise, the game in itself still brings pleasure, (check and check!!) it still connects us with our children and our parents (and even distant cousins, etc, etc!)....but it is so much easier for life to go on around it. I would never want to be a yankee fan who expects to win every year, and despite the few and despite the complaints, I dont think there are many true Red Sox fans who would.....at least not those who suffered long before 2004. There be a new generation, who were born in the 1990's who dont know any better, but they may have to learn the lessons of the past.

All in all, Tom, a fine post ... my other thoughts are added in bold - as if you couldn't tell.

Posted by tomnev

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Screw that, I'm going ballistic, I've been a Sox fan since mid-60s and that was when I was capped with a Sox cap on my bald baby head. 
    Posted by dannycater

LOL ... Danny, can't say you're wishy washy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : LOL ... Danny, can't say you're wishy washy.
    Posted by SinceYaz
    Thank you for the OP sy. It made for a great read. Are you writing a book? Because you should be if you aren't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : Thank you for the OP sy. It made for a great read. Are you writing a book? Because you should be if you aren't.
    Posted by carnie

Kind of you to say, carnie.  Others have suggested I should.  I think it takes more discipline than I have .... but I am writing "shorts."  Merely for my own pleasure.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : Kind of you to say, carnie.  Others have suggested I should.  I think it takes more discipline than I have .... but I am writing "shorts."  Merely for my own pleasure.   
    Posted by SinceYaz
    Keep posting here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beijingcb. Show Beijingcb's posts

Thanks Yaz - and to others for not being haters, abusers, name callers and destructive. Good reads and only a few of the usual angry outbursts.

We had years of expectations and they were met in 2004/07 and one day again they will. It is unpredictable and you cant buy all with money - luckily.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I rather enjoyed this piece. 

If a person doesn't like it, why can't that person just click the button and move on instead of adding two very negative posts?  At least there was real thought and feeling put into words here, merely expressing one fan's lament and desire for all things Sox.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to agree with this piece.  Just disagree respectfully and express your ideas respectfully without insult.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to We have shifted.... and not necessairly for the better : An excellent read, Yaz. Thank you!
    Posted by ThefourBs

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Great post as always yaz....Teilhardian (moi) says hi... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by GreenPartyCelt

Greetings ... new/old friend!  

Had to say hi .... running to se my D.O.  so chat has to stop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by GreenPartyCelt

Oh.  Teilhardian.  Its you.  I clearly never bothered to read GPC's signature quotes or I would have realized 2 + 2= 4.  A fond hello good sir.

Sections
Shortcuts