We just got Marlon Byrd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

We just got Marlon Byrd

Give us our rings now, Red Sox world champions in 2012

*Disclaimer. Most of my posts tend to be filled with sarcasm, don't take anything I have to say seriously. Thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: We just got Marlon Byrd

3-43 this season .070 BA, no extra base hits. That should solve our pitching problems. Maybe they thought they were getting Paul Byrd with a 0.70 E.R.A ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Well I guess Rick Pitino was wrong.

Byrd is walking through that door.

Undecided

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: We just got Marlon Byrd:
    [QUOTE]3-43 this season .070 BA, no extra base hits. Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Just means he's due.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Our worries are over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's kind of a head-scratcher how they suddenly gave up on Bowden when he seemed to be improving.  He gave up one run in three innings.  Pretty good by this pen's standards. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We just got Marlon Byrd : Just means he's due.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Hope he gets his double by the end of next week. Cry

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Carlos Pena, two seasons ago, batted .196 had a higher OB% than Marlon Byrd did in 2011, despite his .276 average.

I wouldn't have taken him if they gave him to us for nothing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]It's kind of a head-scratcher how they suddenly gave up on Bowden when he seemed to be improving.  He gave up one run in three innings.  Pretty good by this pen's standards. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Not that Bowden impressed when he had his other chances. But still ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

All you can do is laugh when you hear something like this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i like this trade..we need a OF... and we got a OF...bowden was nothing anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

All week everyone has been whining about how this team needs to get Repko/McDonald replaced. and this far supercedes any other need.

So we get a guy to replace them and everyone wants somethng else now...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]All week everyone has been whining about how this team needs to get Repko/McDonald replaced. and this far supercedes any other need. So we get a guy to replace them and everyone wants somethng else now...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

yeah..you can never win...

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We just got Marlon Byrd : replaced, not replicated.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Despite his slow start this year, Marlon Byrd is light years ahead of McDonald and Repko, and far, far more likely to turn it around.   Don't base everything on 40 at-bats...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Remember a guy named Papelbon? Let's give the Phillies 50 million for him as a signing bonus and give Paps another 25 million. Maybe this team can reach 500 ball by the break.

Disgusting management. Stop blaming BobbyV. No one can win a bunch of bumbs like this in the rotatation and pigpen. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

[QUOTE]Remember a guy named Papelbon? Let's give the Phillies 50 million for him as a signing bonus and give Paps another 25 million. Maybe this team can reach 500 ball by the break. Disgusting management. Stop blaming BobbyV. No one can win a bunch of bumbs like this in the rotatation and pigpen. 
    Posted by tjwoods[/QUOTE]

Two seasons ago, there were many posters down on Jonathan Papelbon.  At the time, I remarked that it was easy to take great closers for granted, unless they are on another team.  When the Red Sox let Papelbon go the the Phillies, there were many happy Yankee fans, including me.  

The Boston bullpen with Papelbon, Bard, Aceves, and Morales would be an entirely different beast.  When the Red Sox signed Adrian Gonzalez, I was worried, and he is still a very good hitter and a solid fielder.  But, when they signed Carl Crawford, I thought the Red Sox were getting further away from their recent history philosophically, and success, of signing high OBP/high SLG players.  

While Crawford is better than last season, he did not fit that criteria.  Losing Crawford and Jacoby to injury does not help either, offensively or defensively. Cody Ross is just not a gifted defensive player.

One bright spot was the offense from Salt and Papi, they hit everyone the Yankees threw at them.  I have liked Doubront since last season and Tazawa did a nice job at the end.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

hate to bring it up one last time, but remember when theo turned down bowden for miguel montero? nice work boy blunder. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Bryd will be released for non-production by season's end.  Why not just give Che-Hsuan Lin a chance until Jacoby returns.  Lin is very good defensively and has a strong arm.  He may not hit, but neither will Bryd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Walter you are far too clever to work in the Red Sox FA. Why would you bring up a prospect who can run , throw and has great potential, when you can get a $6.5 million  man who maybe hitting below the Mendosa line in a month , if he goes 10 for 10 . I know they have lost Ellsbury and Crawford who hit a lusty .255 last year. I'M SURE THEY ALSO HAVE an excuse for Melancon and the geat pitching staff they have assembled. Yes they should have traded Bowden, his 3.00 doesn't fit with the rest of the pitching staff and he still has a few years left. 

I watch the debacle today and you know what I did , laugh a lot. What else could you do.  Don't blame Valentine, just relax and hope they at least play .500 base ball. At the moment they look like the Amazin Mets of 1962. Actually they don't look that good.  The Messiah is arriving from the Cubs, and who would their president be? Oh yes that would be Theo. I hope Cherington enjoys his only year as a GM in MLB.

[QUOTE]Bryd will be released for non-production by season's end.  Why not just give Che-Hsuan Lin a chance until Jacoby returns.  Lin is very good defensively and has a strong arm.  He may not hit, but neither will Bryd.
    Posted by walterjohnson07[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]hate to bring it up one last time, but remember when theo turned down bowden for miguel montero? nice work boy blunder. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

That is okay.  Montero is a FA next year... as is Brian McCann. How about signing one of them and having Lavarnway DH/CA?  Sounds good to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Can Byrd pitch out of the bullpen?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Wow, as I sit here, I am finding it difficult to find the words to describe my feelings on this trade.....I guess it just means zero. What a curious off-season and now regular season we are having.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to We just got Marlon Byrd:
    [QUOTE]Give us our rings now, Red Sox world champions in 2012 *Disclaimer. Most of my posts tend to be filled with sarcasm, don't take anything I have to say seriously. Thank you.
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Great move ? If it doesn't work out......We can blame Theo !!

Sections
Shortcuts