We know that as a TEAM we have not yet started to HIT, with most INDIVIDUAL averages heading SOUTH....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: We know that as a TEAM we have not yet started to HIT, with most INDIVIDUAL averages heading SOUTH....

The problem with looking at teams average age is it applies the same weight to a 39 year old back up catcher as it would to an everyday position player who is expected to play everyday.  In reality, those two players put their teams in completely different situations. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: We know that as a TEAM we have not yet started to HIT, with most INDIVIDUAL averages heading SOUTH....

We are making some hard outs.

This team will end up top 5 in runs scored, unless injuries kill us.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mean what I say....not what you say.  The Sox have 94 million invested in their oldest 10 players, 6 starters.  Meanwhile the Yankees have 337 million invested into 8 starters out of their top 10.  And the 10 youngest on the Sox is a more impressive list than the youngest 10 on the Yankees.

And by EVERY means that ranks prospects, youth, players, etc etc the Sox have a stronger farm and a stronger under 25 than the Yankees; and it isn't even close.

I'm not discounting that the Yankees are a good team.  I'm not even complaining about them spending money, I APPLAUD IT.  The Yankees see overspending as an investment, making the playoffs and winning year in and year out sells jersey's and tickets and that justify an inflated payroll.  I view the Yankees no different than a corporation that spends money to make money.  Sure maybe stop and shop doesn't have the same profit margin as the bodega.....but they make TON more money overall.

All I'm saying (and this in zero way is meant to insult the Yankees or try to suggest they are bad team) is that the Sox are much less reliant, and not as bogged down by their aged Veterans as other older teams are.  

It's not just Ortiz that is struggling, it's the young players and injuries as well, and we have a hole we never filled in Ellsbury leaving.  But David Ortiz aside....there is no old veteran slumping, that is having any real affect on the Sox offense.  After AJP and Ortiz the next oldest regular is Napoli who has a .900 OPS the next 3 Nava, Sizemore, and Pedroia are all 31, 31, and 30 years old.

2 of 3 who are somewhat struggling.  Those 3 are much more important than AJP, and one of them isn't even struggling.  I wouldn't call the 30 year old Dustin Pedroia and struggling veteran either. 

It's the Sox YOUTH NOT AGE that is weighing the team down as well right now.  How about the 21 year old Phenom who has a .754 OPS; many would say is capable of much more than that.   The second youngest player in the lineup ROOKIE JBJ has a .642 OPS.  Then there is the 25 year old Will Middlebrooks who has been replaced by the .585 Herrera or the .333 Roberts who are 29 and 33 respectively.  Are you suggesting this 33 year old future bench player or a realsee is one of these older aging veterans that need to get going????

Out of the aging players I'd say Only Ortiz and Napoli are significant contributors to the offense...and only one of those guys is struggling.  

So while I do agree that the Sox will hit, it has nothing to do with being the second oldest team by median age.  

[/QUOTE]

excellent summary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

pardon if this is repeat post...just wanted to tell ctredsoxfanhugh his post was excellent summary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We certainly rely on some older players to carry us through the crunch times, most importantly guys like Papi (39) and Koji (38), but nobody else of great importance is significantly past prime:

37: AJ P and Ross

35: Lackey & Capuano

33: Victorino, Peavy, Breslow, Gomes, Roberts

32: Nava

31: Napoli, Sizemore, Badenhop

30: Pedroia, Lester, Mujica

The rest are under 30, and some are very promising players:

Buchholz, Doubront, Tazawa, MIddlebrooksm Workman, Bradley, Bogaerts and a slew of rising prospects.

In contrast, the Yanks have several older players in key roles (not counting ARod):

40: Jeter & Suzuki

39: Kuroda

38: A Soriano

37: Beltran & Thornton

36: Roberts

34: Teixeira

33: Sabathia

32: K Johnson

30: Ellsbury, McCann, Gardner, Kelley

The under 30 promising players?

Robertson, Nova, Solarte, Pineda, Tanaka, Warren, Betances, and others...

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

pardon if this is repeat post...just wanted to tell ctredsoxfanhugh his post was excellent summary.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much.