We Know Who the Pink Hats Are

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

We Know Who the Pink Hats Are

I had a good laugh on the other thread when two posters brag about how they don't watch the Sox. Seems to me that's the definition of a Pink Hat.

Pink Hat fans are supposed to be the post-2004 fans who don't know much about the Red Sox and are just bandwagon fans, there for the show.

But how many times since last September have so-called "real fans" say they're not going to watch the Sox any more or go to games. 

After a decade great play and two titles and now at the first sight of adversity what do they do -- abandon ship.

Hmmm ... sounds like a pink hat to me.

And before anyone starts whining that real fans can complain about the team, I'm not talking about those of you who are critical -- even constantly critical. At least, you're still following and watching the team.

I'm specifically talking about the fans who advocate that they and that others should not follow the team, watch them on TV or go to games. That's a fan? Sounds to me, it's someone with an agenda.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are

I was a little surprised that Dragon, for all his opinions and threads, doesn't watch RS games.

And like Roy said, we just ended the Golden Age of RS baseball, and some 'fans' already quit.  They're not real fans.  The real fans are the ones that suffered for years, and still enjoyed it.  If you only enjoy the team when they make the playoffs, you're not really a fan.  You might follow the team, but you're not a fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are:
    I was a little surprised that Dragon, for all his opinions and threads, doesn't watch RS games. 
    Posted by Joebreidey

I wasn't. On another thread, he posted that he'd trade the two W.S. titles for different ownership. That's not a fan, that's someone with so much irrational hate, that he should seek professional help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I was a little surprised that Dragon, for all his opinions and threads, doesn't watch RS games. And like Roy said, we just ended the Golden Age of RS baseball, and some 'fans' already quit.  They're not real fans.  The real fans are the ones that suffered for years, and still enjoyed it.  If you only enjoy the team when they make the playoffs, you're not really a fan.  You might follow the team, but you're not a fan.
    Posted by Joebreidey

My Dad is 73 and has followed the Red Sox his entire life.

Believe me he doesn't think things are all that bad right now.  5 years since a world series win?  How do we handle the failure...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1997.

My late father took me to Fenway to see Roger's debut as a Blue Jay.  It was so strange to see him in a Blue-colored uniform.

Roger put up very impressive numbers in 1997 with Toronto.  
    Pat Hentgen, Juan Guzman and Roger Clemens. 

Then in 1999, he went to the Yankees and won a ring.

It's not easy being a Red Sox fan.    lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1997. My late father took me to Fenway to see Roger's debut as a Blue Jay.  It was so strange to see him in a Blue-colored uniform. Roger put up very impressive numbers in 1997 with Toronto.   Pat Hentgen, Juan Guzman and Roger Clemens.  Then in 1999, he went to the Yankees and won a ring. It's not easy being a Red Sox fan.    lol
    Posted by Ice-Cream

Sox fans used to take pride in their heartiness. Now there appears to be quite a few who feel so entitled that they throw the woman and children out of their way as they abandon ship.

It's funny. The same "fans" who make fun of teams like the Rays who can draw fans are probably the same ones who are now telling Red Sox fans to not support their team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1997. My late father took me to Fenway to see Roger's debut as a Blue Jay.  It was so strange to see him in a Blue-colored uniform. Roger put up very impressive numbers in 1997 with Toronto.   Pat Hentgen, Juan Guzman and Roger Clemens.  Then in 1999, he went to the Yankees and won a ring. It's not easy being a Red Sox fan.    lol
    Posted by Ice-Cream

I became a fan in 1967, and I'm from the Bronx.

We made the playoffs once in the following 18 years.

We had a modest amount of success in the following 17, making the playoffs 6 times in 17 years, and winning 12 games in those 16 years.

Now, over the past ten years, we've been about the best team in BB.  Not the best record, but a very good record, with 4 ALCS appearances and 2 WS championships.  Anyone that suffered through those previous 33 years, and quits now, is nuts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Apparently, watching games is the ONLY way to find out what happened. Step away from your "stupid" phones, tablets, wifi PCs and other junk and try reading for a change. Not articles either, read the box score, and the scoring summary, then get into the pitch-by-pitch if you want to actually figure something out. Then go to the beat writers and read some questions and answers.

Shame all those decades of baseball were wasted before widespread TV coverage.

A "pink hat" fan supports the team because it's the cool thing to do. You're thinking of bandwagon, which you'd have some kind of case to make against me. But trying to paint me as a pink hat shows your ignorance.

I think the pink hats are the ones staying hopeful! Against all reason and intelligence, they still talk about only this many games back, and controlling their own destiny. I don't know, maybe it's guilt for not following the team pre-2004?

This version is an embarrassment to the Red Sox Franchise. It hasn't always been good, it hasn't always been successful...but  it's never been like THIS mess!

I'll explain AGAIN, because some people are simply too dense or ignorant to get it:

-I don't mind losing. Not at all. Losing is part of the game. The best hitter in the history of baseball lost about 65% of their at-bats.

-I don't mind bridge years, or doing what it takes to get to where you want to be. Sometimes you HAVE to take a step or two back, to take 3 or 4 forward.

-What I DO mind is the entitlement of the ownership. The pampered attitude and actions of the players. Ownership doesn't care about winning, they care about profits. Most of the players don't seem to care about winning, they care about money.

This team doesn't DESERVE the support they are getting. What have they DONE to deserve it? Hmmm? Anyone?

A "pink hat" fan will support this team in spite of any facts or bad play they see. They will support it despite the players acting like j e r k s and the owners acting like they are smarter than everyone and unnaccountable. Does that sound like ME?

Understand what a pink hat is before you go calling anyone else that Royboy, you're about as pink as they come. You've NEVER seen anything wrong with this team, and yet they are below .500. It's all bad luck, right?

If I "quit" I'm not a real fan. But what are players who quit, as they did last Septmember, and have done NOTHING since? Oh, right, we should still support the quitters who get paid, but call fans, who pay for it and are sick of it, quitters...wait...do you really believe this sh!t?

You people are more delusional than I thought. Seriously, take a look at this non-sensical reasoning you throw around. Show it to a neutral fan and watch them laugh in your face.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Dragon Man just bragged that he never watches the games but yet he is the most vocal critic who sounds like a know-it-all buffoon. One has to wonder if types like those are real fans or just trolls like Softlaw and Andrew. I differ with you on labeling constantly critical posters as fans. The same ones were here whining 24/7 during last summer May-Aug when the Sox had the best record in basball. If they whine 99% of the time, I label them as trolls. They are not young pink-hatters but are grumpy, cranky, old men whose hobby is to come here for entertainment and do so by stirring the pot and annoying legitimate fans. They wake up early, have coffee and a doughnut and Geritol and then go to work on bashing and annoying.
    Posted by Calzone65

Admittedly well written; and for the most part I don't agree with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Apparently, watching games is the ONLY way to find out what happened. Step away from your "stupid" phones, tablets, wifi PCs and other junk and try reading for a change. Not articles either, read the box score, and the scoring summary, then get into the pitch-by-pitch if you want to actually figure something out. Then go to the beat writers and read some questions and answers. Shame all those decades of baseball were wasted before widespread TV coverage. A "pink hat" fan supports the team because it's the cool thing to do. You're thinking of bandwagon, which you'd have some kind of case to make against me. But trying to paint me as a pink hat shows your ignorance. I think the pink hats are the ones staying hopeful! Against all reason and intelligence, they still talk about only this many games back, and controlling their own destiny. I don't know, maybe it's guilt for not following the team pre-2004? This version is an embarrassment to the Red Sox Franchise. It hasn't always been good, it hasn't always been successful...but  it's never been like THIS mess! I'll explain AGAIN, because some people are simply too dense or ignorant to get it: -I don't mind losing. Not at all. Losing is part of the game. The best hitter in the history of baseball lost about 65% of their at-bats. -I don't mind bridge years, or doing what it takes to get to where you want to be. Sometimes you HAVE to take a step or two back, to take 3 or 4 forward. -What I DO mind is the entitlement of the ownership. The pampered attitude and actions of the players. Ownership doesn't care about winning, they care about profits. Most of the players don't seem to care about winning, they care about money. This team doesn't DESERVE the support they are getting. What have they DONE to deserve it? Hmmm? Anyone? A "pink hat" fan will support this team in spite of any facts or bad play they see. They will support it despite the players acting like j e r k s and the owners acting like they are smarter than everyone and unnaccountable. Does that sound like ME? Understand what a pink hat is before you go calling anyone else that Royboy, you're about as pink as they come. You've NEVER seen anything wrong with this team, and yet they are below .500. It's all bad luck, right? If I "quit" I'm not a real fan. But what are players who quit, as they did last Septmember, and have done NOTHING since? Oh, right, we should still support the quitters who get paid, but call fans, who pay for it and are sick of it, quitters...wait...do you really believe this sh!t? You people are more delusional than I thought. Seriously, take a look at this non-sensical reasoning you throw around. Show it to a neutral fan and watch them laugh in your face.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

You don't get it.  I have been a Red Sox fan for 30 years because I am a Red Sox fan.

I don't just choose when I decide to be a fan and when I am not.

I dig the Red Sox and that is the beginning and end of it.  I don't get too high, I don't get too low.

I mean I don't care what you do, but yeah if watching the Red sox makes you so mad then yeah take a break man.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : Admittedly well written; and for the most part I don't agree with it.
    Posted by nhsteven

Who cares what a yankee troll agrees with on a Red Sox site. Didn't Al tell you to go away?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : You don't get it.  I have been a Red Sox fan for 30 years because I am a Red Sox fan. I don't just choose when I decide to be a fan and when I am not. I dig the Red Sox and that is the beginning and end of it.  I don't get too high, I don't get too low. I mean I don't care what you do, but yeah if watching the Red sox makes you so mad then yeah take a break man.
    Posted by snakeoil123

When have I ever said I wasn't a fan? If I wasn't, I wouldn't care, and wouldn't post.

So, let me get this straight:

-Being paid millions of dollars and quitting still gets the support of the fans.

-Being a fan for FREE and being disgusted with it, and "quitting" paying into it makes me a pink hat fan.

That is simply a fascinating, and totally moronic viewpoint.

Pink Hat fans, by very definition, root regardless of what's going on. They sing sweet caroline as the team finishes an epic collapse. They buy bricks. They buy $100 coffee table books. They happily pay the Ace Ticket surcharge for the honor of buying a ticket at multiple times the face value.

When players were playing for love of the game, and not MILLIONS of dollars, the players deserved the support just for showing up. That's not the case anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I never understood what a pink hat was.  The thought that it is someone who roots for the team no matter what I have seen before.  And I will say the same thing I said then, I guess that makes me a pink hat, and I am proud of it.  I consider myself a die-hard fan and haven't given up on them making the playoffs yet this year.  When they are mathematically eliminated, I will then "Wait 'til next year"  I have functioned that way since I can remember, which is 1967 when I was 6.  I will still watch them even when eliminated because I love baseball as well.  And who made the pink hat rules anyway?  I guess I just don't get what is so wrong about rooting for my team no matter what.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Apparently, watching games is the ONLY way to find out what happened. Step away from your "stupid" phones, tablets, wifi PCs and other junk and try reading for a change. Not articles either, read the box score, and the scoring summary, then get into the pitch-by-pitch if you want to actually figure something out. Then go to the beat writers and read some questions and answers. Shame all those decades of baseball were wasted before widespread TV coverage. A "pink hat" fan supports the team because it's the cool thing to do. You're thinking of bandwagon, which you'd have some kind of case to make against me. But trying to paint me as a pink hat shows your ignorance. I think the pink hats are the ones staying hopeful! Against all reason and intelligence, they still talk about only this many games back, and controlling their own destiny. I don't know, maybe it's guilt for not following the team pre-2004? This version is an embarrassment to the Red Sox Franchise. It hasn't always been good, it hasn't always been successful...but  it's never been like THIS mess! I'll explain AGAIN, because some people are simply too dense or ignorant to get it: -I don't mind losing. Not at all. Losing is part of the game. The best hitter in the history of baseball lost about 65% of their at-bats. -I don't mind bridge years, or doing what it takes to get to where you want to be. Sometimes you HAVE to take a step or two back, to take 3 or 4 forward. -What I DO mind is the entitlement of the ownership. The pampered attitude and actions of the players. Ownership doesn't care about winning, they care about profits. Most of the players don't seem to care about winning, they care about money. This team doesn't DESERVE the support they are getting. What have they DONE to deserve it? Hmmm? Anyone? A "pink hat" fan will support this team in spite of any facts or bad play they see. They will support it despite the players acting like j e r k s and the owners acting like they are smarter than everyone and unnaccountable. Does that sound like ME? Understand what a pink hat is before you go calling anyone else that Royboy, you're about as pink as they come. You've NEVER seen anything wrong with this team, and yet they are below .500. It's all bad luck, right? If I "quit" I'm not a real fan. But what are players who quit, as they did last Septmember, and have done NOTHING since? Oh, right, we should still support the quitters who get paid, but call fans, who pay for it and are sick of it, quitters...wait...do you really believe this sh!t? You people are more delusional than I thought. Seriously, take a look at this non-sensical reasoning you throw around. Show it to a neutral fan and watch them laugh in your face.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

You're the one so filled with hate that you posted that you'd trade the two W.S. titles for different ownership.

So do you really believe that anyone should listen to any of the crp you post.

The very definition of a pink hat is a fan who only sticks with a team in good times. It's the cool thing to do because they're winners. Since when is it the "cool thing" to support a losing team. Pink hat is synonymous with bandwagon fans. (Now who's showing their ignorance.)

So the team is in bad times and you leave them. Yup -- that's a bandwagon fans. That's a pink hat.

Yup -- that sounds like you.

True fans stick with the team in bad times. It doesn't mean we're not critical of bad play or bad moves. It means we're in it for the long haul. It means we're not so entitled that we can't understand that humans play the game, run the game so that means that they're flawed and that means they're not always make the right decisions, and there is not always going to be good times.

I've posted many times things I'm critical of, yet I can still root for the team, but you're too stupid to comprehend any of that.

You asked that because you quit that you're not a real fan?

You got it dragonboy. It's the only sensible thing you wrote. Because it doesn't matter whether or not the players quit. For the record, bad play doesn't mean the players quit. Beyond that, even if they did, just because they had no character and quit, it doesn't mean I have to show the same lack of character.

You sound like a 4-year-old. "Mommy, Josh didn't do his homework, so I don't have to either."

Players come and go. I'll support the team through the bad times because I know that even if some players did quit, it's not all the players nor most of the players. So I'll stick by them through bad times and be with them when they turn it around.

If you quit now them jump back on board when things turn around -- that's a bandwagon fan. THAT"S A PINK HAT.

THAT DESCRIBES YOU dragonboy.

No real fan would ever post that they would trade two World Series titles just because they don't like the owners. The hate that is inside you -- seriously, seek help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I never understood what a pink hat was.  The thought that it is someone who roots for the team no matter what I have seen before.  And I will say the same thing I said then, I guess that makes me a pink hat, and I am proud of it.  I consider myself a die-hard fan and haven't given up on them making the playoffs yet this year.  When they are mathematically eliminated, I will then "Wait 'til next year"  I have functioned that way since I can remember, which is 1967 when I was 6.  I will still watch them even when eliminated because I love baseball as well.  And who made the pink hat rules anyway?  I guess I just don't get what is so wrong about rooting for my team no matter what.
    Posted by fizsh

Well said.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

How can someone be a baseball fan, and not be interested in watching any of the games? I don't get it. That makes no sense. Being a fan of baseball means you love to watch baseball, doesn't it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I liked the Pink Panther myself...Theo reminded me of the 4th gorilla

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by fizsh

Got wrapped up in dragon's lame post that I missed  yours. The term pink hat came about after 2004 for the bandwagon fans who just follow the team because it's the cool thing to do, but really don't have a deep passion or knowledge for the Sox. And when it's not longer "cool" -- ie. when the team is struggling -- they leave.

So no, you're not a pink hat. You're a real, die-hard fan. There is nothing wrong with rooting for your team no matter what. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by ma6dragon9

Sorry, dragon. While I like you as a poster, you are dead wrong on a lot of things.

Frist of all, the “pink hats” are the people who followed the team when it was winning. Fans who follow a team through tougher times are in fact the exact opposite. The term “pink hat” even came from the obnoxiously colored and very wrong looking Sox attire that suddenly got popular around 2004. No self-respecting true Sox fan would wear one. I will only let my 5 year old daughter, who will wear anything that is pink, wear properly colored Sox hats (though not all are the designs the team wears, admittedly).

This might be the end of a great run. If it is, so be it. I’ve dealt with worse seasons. The Butch Hobson years are prime examples. The fans who confuse me the most are the ones who hold this message board accountable. The ones who call for anyone remaining positive to stop being positive and recognize the lost season (which isn’t lost yet). If a fan stays loyal even when things are going wrong and the team is not winning, that is a true fan, end of definition. Anyone can cheer for a winner.

Or better even crazier to me are the “fans” who “warned’ us about some sort of bad deal, and then hold themselves up high at the first sign of anything going wrong. As if this message board, which the Sox front office probably doesn’t even know about, much less listen to, should be held accountable for anything. (And we won’t even get into the inconsistent criteria they use to justify the hatred.)

How many of these “true fans” who advocate jumping ship stopped watching in 2004 when the team trailed 3-0 in the ALCS? Hey, it was over, right? Dick Vitale even said so on Mike & Mike the day after the 19-8 drubbing in game 3. And no team in history had ever come back from such a deficit. At that point, if surrender was not an option, why is it now? And why should everyone who has given up repeatedly encourage others to do so? After having seen that comeback, I find it impossible to give up on a team down by 4 ½ games with 50 left to play. Both St. Louis and Tampa were further back with less time to play last season. How did that turn out?

And I really don’t understand the whole “this management team only cares about profits, not winning” attitude. Really? So they are dropping $170mill on payroll to increase profits? Why pay so much, knowing full well the tight range of winning percentage for all of MLB? Their actions have not always worked out, but they didn’t give all that money to Lackey, Crawford and Gonzalez to increase revenue; they signed them to win games. (They might have acted as such because they felt winning increases revenue, but that makes it a happy byproduct, and not the original goal.) Know how they could have made even more money? By not paying those three, and a few others.

I don’t like every move this team makes, but I will root for players I did not advocate signing. Why? Simply put, because they play for my favorite team. End of reason. Crawford is a prime example. I thought he signed a deal that was horrible for Boston, and I always thought he was an overrated player in Tampa. But I always want him to do well now

What I see too often now are fans who are harsher on players they never wanted, but are much more lax if a player they wanted fails. A prime example here is a certain unnamed poster whose hatred of Beckett, Drew and Crawford has reached annoying levels. Yet somehow, he has never said one bad word about Lackey. Why is that? Well, during one of the Boston Bust threads, he admitted that he wanted Lackey at the time, and therefore did not consider him a bust. Really? So the criteria for a contract bust includes that the player must not have his prior approval? And his approval gives immunity, or at the very least a stay of execution? To repeatedly call out Beckett, who has pitched better than Lackey, pitched more often than Lackey, and makes less money than Lackey (in terms of total contract), a bust while giving Lackey a complete carte blanche is either 100% hypocrisy, or an admission of being a fan of oneself and not the Red Sox. I wanted Lackey, as well, or at least liked the move. But there is no way I consider my happiness in his signing to justify his extremely lackluster (to be kind) performance.

As for how the players act, I would be surprised if 90% of all players in MLB are not jerks. Even on winning teams. The problem is, the media tried to tell us any deviance is unacceptable, but can really on accentuate it when the team is not winning. The 2004 team did shots in the dugout during the ALCS – good. The pitchers drank beers on off days in 2011 (which they probably have done for years) – and that is not good. Did we hear about it when the team was piling on an 83-52 stretch? Or wait until September, when it could be paired with a losing streak to make news?

And yes, quitting is exactly the opposite of what a true fanatic does. You can not watch games and be a fan (because, well, we all have lives, jobs and families). You can stay home and be a fan. But, especially in this media-heavy age, if you can consciously not follow the team and shut off your emotional commitment, then you have done something no true fanatic is capable of doing, and that is by definition of the word…

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I spent $200 for 2 tickets to an August game. I pink-hatted. I flipped a coin and told my buddy that I'd only go if the Sox were .500 by today. It was close.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I pink hat on Mondays. That might be construed as a double slur. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So why did you flip the coin if attendance was determined by the Sox record?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

notin, I remember there being fans who gave up on the Sox at the end of August after having been swept by NY.  And they were 5 games up.  They were really vocal when the lead dipped to a game and half.  My guess is there were telling their friends they knew the Sox would win all along. 

Sections
Shortcuts