We Know Who the Pink Hats Are

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are

In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : Because I live in Seattle, I go to a few Mariner games every year, even when it is not against the Sox.  I root for the M's when they don't play Boston, but I just hope to see a good game.  If Seattle wins, cool, because it makes the experience a little better.  But I just love baseball, it is a great game. Now, I admit fully to being a bandwagon fan of the Bruins.  If they are doing well that is great, I will pay attention.  If not, then it doesn't really bother me.  But I am not a big hockey fan.  
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

You follow the Mariners and Boston because you're a baseball fan and you love baseball. Anyone who considers themselves a baseball fan but has no interest in watching baseball, probably doesn't realize they're really not a baseball fan at all.

And I'm with you on the hockey, but for a different reason. I tried watching it, even went to a couple of games (when I was taken there, not by my choice), but that is one brutal sport. It's really hard to watch. LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]So why did you flip the coin if attendance was determined by the Sox record?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

to save $200

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is the least favorite Sox team quite possibly going back to one of the 90s teams. I miss Wakefield, Varitek, Damon, Pedro, Manny, Nomar, Mueller, Lowell, Mirabelli, Lowe, Beltre, Bay, Loretta, Alex Gonzo, Papelbon, Timlin, VMart. On the current team, I don't know who I like anymore--I don't go to the park thinking, I can't wait to see Beckett take the hill or to see Aviles hit a bloop single. Maybe Ortiz and AGON gives me some thrills at the plate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am going to at least 1 game of the set in Anaheim at the end of the month.  Can't help it.  Seriously, I am going to wear a pink Sox hat just for ma6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]This is the least favorite Sox team quite possibly going back to one of the 90s teams. I miss Wakefield, Varitek, Damon, Pedro, Manny, Nomar, Mueller, Lowell, Mirabelli, Lowe, Beltre, Bay, Loretta, Alex Gonzo, Papelbon, Timlin, VMart. On the current team, I don't know who I like anymore--I don't go to the park thinking, I can't wait to see Beckett take the hill or to see Aviles hit a bloop single. Maybe Ortiz and AGON gives me some thrills at the plate. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I am sure you were sick of Loretta and Timlin back then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to We Know Who the Pink Hats Are:
    [QUOTE]I had a good laugh on the other thread when two posters brag about how they don't watch the Sox. Seems to me that's the definition of a Pink Hat. Pink Hat fans are supposed to be the post-2004 fans who don't know much about the Red Sox and are just bandwagon fans, there for the show. But how many times since last September have so-called "real fans" say they're not going to watch the Sox any more or go to games.  After a decade great play and two titles and now at the first sight of adversity what do they do -- abandon ship. Hmmm ... sounds like a pink hat to me. And before anyone starts whining that real fans can complain about the team, I'm not talking about those of you who are critical -- even constantly critical. At least, you're still following and watching the team. I'm specifically talking about the fans who advocate that they and that others should not follow the team, watch them on TV or go to games. That's a fan? Sounds to me, it's someone with an agenda.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Good post, Roy.

To rephrase a well known movie line, "Spineless is as spineless does."

Conversely, thanks to live streaming, even though I get up at 2:20 AM five to six days a week, I have seen more Red Sox games this year than ever before.  It has been a mix pf pain and pleasure, but I look forward to each opportunity.   :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : You don't get it.  I have been a Red Sox fan for 30 years because I am a Red Sox fan. I don't just choose when I decide to be a fan and when I am not. I dig the Red Sox and that is the beginning and end of it.  I don't get too high, I don't get too low. I mean I don't care what you do, but yeah if watching the Red sox makes you so mad then yeah take a break man.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I like you.  And not in some sort of creepy, stalker way.  You're just a really neat dude! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]I remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1997. My late father took me to Fenway to see Roger's debut as a Blue Jay.  It was so strange to see him in a Blue-colored uniform. Roger put up very impressive numbers in 1997 with Toronto.   Pat Hentgen, Juan Guzman and Roger Clemens.  Then in 1999, he went to the Yankees and won a ring. It's not easy being a Red Sox fan.    lol
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I remember that, too.  As much as I propose to the home run hitters, I've always had a thing for pitchers.  Clemens used to be a crush of mine.  And then it crushed me when he left.  C'set la vie!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : You follow the Mariners and Boston because you're a baseball fan and you love baseball. Anyone who considers themselves a baseball fan but has no interest in watching baseball, probably doesn't realize they're really not a baseball fan at all. And I'm with you on the hockey, but for a different reason. I tried watching it, even went to a couple of games (when I was taken there, not by my choice), but that is one brutal sport. It's really hard to watch. LOL
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

There are other sports besides baseball? LOL - But, in all honesty, I like watching any game, really - and have been known to watch other teams when the Sox had an off night (I'm really, really partial to Verlander).   I even went to Cleveland to watch Tribe/Mariners...got front row seats in right field...niiiiiice view of Ichiro... I love baseball. Bonus of the game? The hot studs that play it. 

Yeah....I can be a shallow girl.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : Sorry, dragon. While I like you as a poster, you are dead wrong on a lot of things. Frist of all, the “pink hats” are the people who followed the team when it was winning. Fans who follow a team through tougher times are in fact the exact opposite. The term “pink hat” even came from the obnoxiously colored and very wrong looking Sox attire that suddenly got popular around 2004. No self-respecting true Sox fan would wear one. I will only let my 5 year old daughter, who will wear anything that is pink, wear properly colored Sox hats (though not all are the designs the team wears, admittedly). …
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

An A+ for this, Notin.

Should be required reading for all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]Being a rabid fan and not watching any games on TV or listening on radio is like a tennis fan following a tennis match on Gameday.
    Posted by Clamshack[/QUOTE]

lol!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]I am going to at least 1 game of the set in Anaheim at the end of the month.  Can't help it.  Seriously, I am going to wear a pink Sox hat just for ma6.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I'm going to the last Sox/Rays game in late Sept.

I hope they're both fighting for a wild card spot, but if the Sox are eight games out, I'll still have a great time (and I'll move to a better seat!).

I may have to get a pink hat, myself!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Decided to check the cost of tickets for this weekend since the Sox are in Cleveland...figured, it's not like people are going to see the Tribe right now (sorry, Tribe fans)....cheapest seat was $40.00 and not even a very good seat...I paid less than that for four seats in front row of right field when we went to see Ichiro....I mean, the Mariners....

Guess Sox fans aren't quite done yet....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]Decided to check the cost of tickets for this weekend since the Sox are in Cleveland...figured, it's not like people are going to see the Tribe right now (sorry, Tribe fans)....cheapest seat was $40.00 and not even a very good seat...I paid less than that for four seats in front row of right field when we went to see Ichiro....I mean, the Mariners.... Guess Sox fans aren't quite done yet....
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

I'm going to see the sox play their last game against the orioles at Camden Yards in September. I hope the game means something. they only have three games left in New York after that. Club Box seats are $99.00. They jack the price up by $30.00 for "premium games" -  red sox, yankees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : I'm going to see the sox play their last game against the orioles at Camden Yards in September. I hope the game means something. they only have three games left in New York after that. Club Box seats are $99.00. They jack the price up by $30.00 for "premium games" -  red sox, yankees.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]The A's do the same thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

From Notin:

What I see too often now are fans who are harsher on players they never wanted, but are much more lax if a player they wanted fails. A prime example here is a certain unnamed poster whose hatred of Beckett, Drew and Crawford has reached annoying levels. Yet somehow, he has never said one bad word about Lackey. Why is that? Well, during one of the Boston Bust threads, he admitted that he wanted Lackey at the time, and therefore did not consider him a bust. Really? So the criteria for a contract bust includes that the player must not have his prior approval? And his approval gives immunity, or at the very least a stay of execution? To repeatedly call out Beckett, who has pitched better than Lackey, pitched more often than Lackey, and makes less money than Lackey (in terms of total contract), a bust while giving Lackey a complete carte blanche is either 100% hypocrisy, or an admission of being a fan of oneself and not the Red Sox. I wanted Lackey, as well, or at least liked the move. But there is no way I consider my happiness in his signing to justify his extremely lackluster (to be kind) performance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : I like you.  And not in some sort of creepy, stalker way.  You're just a really neat dude! :)

You have no idea what a cool dude I am. It's ridiculous.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Know Who the Pink Hats Are : I'm about an hour from the Yard, two hours in traffic so I see the sox a lot when they play the o's.  I don't think the Yard is a good old fashioned ball park.  The jumbotron gives me fits!!!!!  The stupid crab game, hot dog races, and other stupid games between innings are such distractions. The loud music makes it impossible to talk between innings.  That stupid bird mascot needs to take a long vacation. The box seat level has bars inside.  Iv'e been to many a game where people are hanging out at the bar instead of outside watching the game.  What happened to going to the park simply to watch a game?  When I was a kid you could actually talk to your dad between innings.  That's when my dad would teach me how to score and talk to me about the game. Between innings at the Yard every eye is glued on that stupid jumbotron to watch the next game, contest or other foolishness. If they aren't watching, the music is so loud and harsh you can't hear yourself think. It's almost as if the O's feel the game isn't enough, they have to add more entertainment to keep the fans occupied. The seats are comfortable but I definitely wouldn't call the Yard a good old fashioned ball park.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

I guess old fashioned ball park was a bad choice of words, 67. I like the layout of the field. It's reminds me of a classic baseball park. The jumbotron is a pain in the azz. They play that stupid John Denver "Thank god I'm a Country Boy" during the seventh inning stretch. The oriole fans shout "O" during the Star Spangled Banner. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

They do have good eats, Boog's BBQ and crabcake sandwiches, but I'm sure you stick to the hot dogs and crackerjacks. Wink

I live outside of Washington, DC and go up a couple of times a year to see the sox. I actually saw Hideo Nomo throw his no hitter for sox there in 2001, by mistake. We had tickets for the next day and I messed up and we went a day early. The ticket scanners weren't working and they just glanced at our tickets and let us in. We were sitting in our seats and a security guard came with some other people and asked to see our tickets. He had their tickets and I was holding ours. I said that they were identical and my wife said no they're not, ours have tomorrow's date on them. The security guard knew I wasn't trying to get over, I was just stupid, and told us to find some other seats which we did. I just figure the baseball gods were just throwing a long suffering red sox fan a bone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Pink Sportswear actually came into popularity in the last ten years because it FINALLY dawned on companies that women like sports, too, and would prefer to wear more girly type colours than the typical made-for-dudes stuff that women have already been buying for the last 75 years. 

Women being rabid sports fans is nothing new. In fact, I have noticed that among my daughter's 20-something friends, it is her female friends that follow sports and her male friends that seem typically clueless.  Of course, it is also the wilds of Ohio where the only sport they focus on is college football.  You'd think the press here would be all over the Reds and what they are doing...but all the media here can talk about is that it's almost time for OSU football.  Yawn. 

The true pink-hatters were probably about 10-12 years old in 2004.  They're parents were more than likely Sox fans, so they consider themselves "Sox fans their whole lives" since the game was always on when they were growing up.  But when they saw their parents' (and every other adult Sox fan) reaction to 2004, baseball suddenly got interesting. Then they rode the wave of good times - years like Sox fans who came through the 70s, 80s, and 90s - had never seen before. But for them, this was the norm. 

Now these kids are about 20ish...and they are having a hard time adjusting to what typically happens to the Sox.   I don't think they aren't "true fans"...they just haven't fully experienced yet what it means to be a "true fan". 

A true fan isn't the years you put into following a team, it's the fact that you still follow them when the team is at it's worst. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Pink Sportswear actually came into popularity in the last ten years because it FINALLY dawned on companies that women like sports, too, and would prefer to wear more girly type colours than the typical made-for-dudes stuff that women have already been buying for the last 75 years.  Women being rabid sports fans is nothing new. In fact, I have noticed that among my daughter's 20-something friends, it is her female friends that follow sports and her male friends that seem typically clueless.  Of course, it is also the wilds of Ohio where the only sport they focus on is college football.  You'd think the press here would be all over the Reds and what they are doing...but all the media here can talk about is that it's almost time for OSU football.  Yawn.  The true pink-hatters were probably about 10-12 years old in 2004.  They're parents were more than likely Sox fans, so they consider themselves "Sox fans their whole lives" since the game was always on when they were growing up.  But when they saw their parents' (and every other adult Sox fan) reaction to 2004, baseball suddenly got interesting. Then they rode the wave of good times - years like Sox fans who came through the 70s, 80s, and 90s - had never seen before. But for them, this was the norm.  Now these kids are about 20ish...and they are having a hard time adjusting to what typically happens to the Sox.   I don't think they aren't "true fans"...they just haven't fully experienced yet what it means to be a "true fan".  A true fan isn't the years you put into following a team, it's the fact that you still follow them when the team is at it's worst. 

Excellent post.

I don't know how people that call themselves fans can stop watching.
    I can't not watch, even if I know it's going to end badly.

It's the same with the Patriots. They've had a great run in the last dozen years, but I didn't miss a game when they were terrible.

I guess some people are more of a fan of winning than they are the game itself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Pink Sportswear actually came into popularity in the last ten years because it FINALLY dawned on companies that women like sports, too, and would prefer to wear more girly type colours than the typical made-for-dudes stuff that women have already been buying for the last 75 years.  Women being rabid sports fans is nothing new. In fact, I have noticed that among my daughter's 20-something friends, it is her female friends that follow sports and her male friends that seem typically clueless.  Of course, it is also the wilds of Ohio where the only sport they focus on is college football.  You'd think the press here would be all over the Reds and what they are doing...but all the media here can talk about is that it's almost time for OSU football.  Yawn.  The true pink-hatters were probably about 10-12 years old in 2004.  They're parents were more than likely Sox fans, so they consider themselves "Sox fans their whole lives" since the game was always on when they were growing up.  But when they saw their parents' (and every other adult Sox fan) reaction to 2004, baseball suddenly got interesting. Then they rode the wave of good times - years like Sox fans who came through the 70s, 80s, and 90s - had never seen before. But for them, this was the norm.  Now these kids are about 20ish...and they are having a hard time adjusting to what typically happens to the Sox.   I don't think they aren't "true fans"...they just haven't fully experienced yet what it means to be a "true fan".  A true fan isn't the years you put into following a team, it's the fact that you still follow them when the team is at it's worst. 
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE] most sucessful teams likely had a period where the fanbase is tested...i know i'd like to erase much of the Yanks' 1980's..LOL!!