We must sign Madson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

We must sign Madson

We need to sign Ryan Madson, who has proved he can pitch in a big market enviroment and he is younger than PAPS.  After we sign Madson then we can finish building the rest of the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: We must sign Madson

maybe sign madson to be a set up man not a closer. he is not a true closer. he has only been one for one year. thats it. the guy we need is andrew bailey. he is by far the best option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Madson will be requiring $10 for three years---I don't think so--unless the Sox look at Bard and Aceves as starters and figure Madson then would be cheaper than going out and spending for any combo of Buehrle, Wilson, Hiroda.

Personally I would leave Jenks, Aceves and Bard for the back end, bring back Morales, Atch, Weiland and Albers add one of KRod or Francisco Cordero. I would also tender a contract to Rich Hill who should be back by July.

I would then either look to move one of our big three starters--preferably Buch or Beck for other starters and add Buerhle for stability. Bring up Doubrount as #5.
    Starters: Buerhle, Lester, Matt Harrison(Tex), Buch, Doubrount-Alex Wilson(6th).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Madson is a waste.

Guy has kless than one saeason of closing experience - a season in which he got injured, no less. And suddently he is the answer to a team needing a "proven closer."

Bard can handle the job.  If wer need experience, trade for Matt Thornton, whom the White sox cannot afford anymore because Kenny Williams likes collecting expensive contracts for non-productive players...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Signing Madson, given the limited resources and specific needs of this club, is not a good idea.  Bard won't be perfect as a closer, but then, neither was papelbon the past few years.  Not sure what tells us that Madson would be an upgrade to Bard anyway.  And, for a set-up man, way way too expensive.  

The Sox are not going to be able to fill all the holes with top-flight talent.  There is going to have to be some give as far as either giving unproven guys a shot, gambling on players taking a step forward, or both (D. Bard).  I say, lets go out and get a starter and a rightfielder, and see if Papi comes to his senses.  Once those things are ironed out, if their is money for a backend guy, fine.  But, I don't think that should be a priority.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

In Response to We must sign Madson:
    [QUOTE]We need to sign Ryan Madson,
    Posted by bigdog1[/QUOTE]

We?  Do you work for the Red Sox?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If the architectural plan was to have Bard close then this is a moot point. Sox dont like to throw long term big money for closers. Period.

If Bard closes think about Qualls and Saito and the like.

Monies could be then used for Oswalt or Burehrle.

Trades of Danks, Garza could be an option.

Casey Blake could be used at third to help out Youk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I would rather spend the money on a starter.  The BP works out (or doesn't) and that's just how it goes ... it seems to be partly based on luck and the rest is how many options you have to cover for the predictable disappointments.  If RS were going to spend big money on the BP, I'd rather it went to Paps ... there aren't a lot of closers worth the $$$'s and he is one of those few.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

AGree with few posters here about it is not worth signing Madson if he only closed for one year at the same time we all do not know how well he can close for the Red Sox team.  I strongly think that the probable outcome between Bard and Madson may not be much difference.  If that is the case, why should Boston throw out 10 million dollars a year to Madson while Bard is only being paid less than 1.5mm to 1mm a year.  That is why alot of teams are scared away from Madson due his asking price is already ridiculous high.  It is possible that Madson will still be in the market within two to four weeks prior to spring training. If that is the case, Boston can sign him in the last minute for a cheaper price, but I strongly think that he will go to elsewhere cuz he wasnt happy that Boston refuse to accept his recent contract offer.

Sections
Shortcuts