We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

I think its safe to say that the salty experiment is over. He cant hit, he is below average defensively, and the pitchers do not trust him. The problem is at this point who can we get? We had a chance to get miguel montero for michael bowden a year ago but theo decided to pass, we had a chance to get chris ianetta for jed lowrie but theo decided to pass. So here are some guys i think could be options for us:

1.Ryan Doumit (is available, decent option)
    2.Mike Napoli (defence not great, but we could use his bat)
    3.Chris ianetta (might be available)

Ianetta would be my preference out of the 3. 

What do you guys think? Who else could be available and interest the sox? (please do not say pudge as we do not need another 39 yr old catcher)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

I agree the Sox need a catcher but you're wrong about the catcher to be replaced. Tek is as washed up as a player has ever been.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]I think its safe to say that the salty experiment is over. He cant hit, he is below average defensively, and the pitchers do not trust him. The problem is at this point who can we get? We had a chance to get miguel montero for michael bowden a year ago but theo decided to pass, we had a chance to get chris ianetta for jed lowrie but theo decided to pass. So here are some guys i think could be options for us: 1.Ryan Doumit (is available, decent option) 2.Mike Napoli (defence not great, but we could use his bat) 3.Chris ianetta (might be available) Ianetta would be my preference out of the 3.  What do you guys think? Who else could be available and interest the sox? (please do not say pudge as we do not need another 39 yr old catcher)
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE] SON,  THEO & TITO WILL TELL YOU WHEN THIS EXPERIMENT IS OVER !!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think it will be figured out sometime in May..They will not go on for long if they think its not working..But you have to give it at least a few weeks (4-6) to see if something happens..Maybe they bring up someone from the minors. But hopefully Salty "gets it" and we dont have to worry about it anymore. Doesnt look like it though. *sigh*

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It is easy to criticize Theo and Francona's moves.  But they are human beings just like us.  No one is perfect.  

I understand that we are upset because we care about the Red Sox organization.  But a little more patience is needed.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]I think its safe to say that the salty experiment is over. He cant hit, he is below average defensively, and the pitchers do not trust him. The problem is at this point who can we get? We had a chance to get miguel montero for michael bowden a year ago but theo decided to pass, we had a chance to get chris ianetta for jed lowrie but theo decided to pass. So here are some guys i think could be options for us: 1.Ryan Doumit (is available, decent option) 2.Mike Napoli (defence not great, but we could use his bat) 3.Chris ianetta (might be available) Ianetta would be my preference out of the 3.  What do you guys think? Who else could be available and interest the sox? (please do not say pudge as we do not need another 39 yr old catcher)
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    Chris Iannetta is the No. 1 catcher for a 13-5 Colorado club that could contend for the World Series title. Iannetta, who has played in 14 of those 17 games, no longer shares time with Miguel Olivo, who left via free agency.

Why would the contending Rockies trade away a key player?

Whom would the Red Sox be willing to trade to acquire a catcher the caliber of Ryan Doumit, Mike Napoli or Chris Iannetta?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Pirates have 2 catchers making over $5M this year.  The PIRATES, for God's sake!

Chris Snyder: 11
    :$5.75M, 12:$6.75M club option ($0.75M buyout)
    Ryan Doumit: 11:$5.1M, 12:$7.25M club option, 13:$8.25M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Then they have this:
    Paul Maholm: 11
    :$5.75M, 12:$9.75M club option ($0.75M buyout)

They like Snyder, so only Doumits is realistic. If they can get Theo to take Maholm ith Doumit, I don't think they'd ask for much in return. Neither's options will be accepted, so basically the cost would be  $13M for Doumit and Maholm. Thats a lot of money for Pittsburgh.

Maybe they would take Oki, Exposito and Bowden for the salary relief.

Sidenote:
    Of course, whenever I think Of Pittsburgh, I think of Andrew McCutchen (under team control until after 2015) and a right handed CF/RF'er. He's only 24 and has a career OPS of .821 (.900 vs LHPs/.800 vs RHPs). To me, this is a kid worth going all out for. Perhaps something like this:

1) Trad JD Drew and pay $8M of his $14M deal for a prospect.

2) McCutchen, Doumit, and Maholm
    for:
    Kalish, Reddick, Exposito, Ranaudo, Navarro, and the prospect for Drew.
      (Hey GM, maybe Theo could throw in Wake as a homecoming gift)

This would balance out the OF and line-up nicely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Cleveland farmhand Lou Marson, a catcher who turns 25 in June, is a former Baseball America No. 66 ranked prospect with a good reputation for defense:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453974

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marsolo01.shtml

Marson is blocked by rising star Carlos Santana.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ya know Moon, I'm not sure what's better - or worse - posting one thread about catchers and letting it run throughout the year: Or seeing 10 threads a week on Salty/Tek 2011.

We discussed this at length on one thread, but the drawback was the thread's length,and thus data and input became repetitive. Now I see the same thing happening but the thread names vary slightly.

I suppose either way it's a no-win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

salty aint going nowhere....theo has wanted him for years...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

McCutchen, Doumit, and Maholm
    for:

This is laughable. Kalish and Ranaudo should be retained. The Pirates aren't going to take JD Drew and pay him 6M. Do you even think before you post?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wasn't trading Drew to Pitt, I was trading the prospect we get for a Drew trade elsewhere. Please try to follow along.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moonslav59 - Read your post again:

2) McCutchen, Doumit, and Maholm
    for:

This would balance out the OF and line-up nicely

Q1: Why would the Pirates ever take Drew and pay $6M
    Q2: Exposito, Navarro, and Reddick are prospects that are not worth anything at all.
    Q3: Ranaudo is probably 1-1 1/2 years away, and Kalish is only hitting about .260 right now. Why would they trade McCutchen? He's under team control from at least 3 more years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I heard Mirabelli is available.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Sign Molina, bring up Federowicz, and ship Salty out to learn to play 1B and spend time DHing, to get his offense back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

I can see the Sox dealing for Doumit

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Salty had a good spring training. Give him another 3-4 weeks. Patience.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

In Response to Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]Salty had a good spring training. Give him another 3-4 weeks. Patience.
    Posted by losmediasloco[/QUOTE]

I havent lost patience with Salty at all. I can see Sox dealing for Doumit even if Salty comes around. Doumit can play 1B,C, and I believe they have even worked him in OF. Doumit can hit, is available and is a Right handed bat, so I can see this deal

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Doumit and Napoli are both pretty good hitters but bad defensive catchers.  Not what the team needs.

And redsoxpride34, it's all hearsay when you throw out things like Theo could have gotten Monteiro for Bowden or Ianetta for Lowrie but he passed.  How do you know this??  Is it true because you read a rumour somewhere??  I truly doubt both scenarios.  I seem to remember it as the Sox wanted to trade Bowden for Monteiro but Ariz. said no.   And until the last couple months of the season, Lowrie was a guy coming off 2+ injury riddled yrs with questions about his defense being good enough to start.  So that's the guy that Colorado targeted for Ianetta??  I have a hard time buying that. 

I will gladly eat crow and admit to being wrong if you can back up these assertions with facts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

OK redsoxpride 34, in your defense, I found a Gammons quote from March 2009 saying the Sox would not part with Bowden for Monteiro.  There is a big difference though between March 2009 and last yr.  2 yrs ago Bowden was still considered one of the Sox top prospects and Monteiro hadn't broken out yet.  By last yr, no way Ariz would have made that deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]Doumit and Napoli are both pretty good hitters but bad defensive catchers .  Not what the team needs . And redsoxpride34, it's all hearsay when you throw out things like Theo could have gotten Monteiro for Bowden or Ianetta for Lowrie but he passed.  How do you know this??  Is it true because you read a rumour somewhere??  I truly doubt both scenarios.  I seem to remember it as the Sox wanted to trade Bowden for Monteiro but Ariz. said no.   And until the last couple months of the season, Lowrie was a guy coming off 2+ injury riddled yrs with questions about his defense being good enough to start.  So that's the guy that Colorado targeted for Ianetta??  I have a hard time buying that.  I will gladly eat crow and admit to being wrong if you can back up these assertions with facts.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]I could not agree more. The issue here seems to be about defense and game calling.

To me the issue isn't offense or heavens knows that the RS would use the DH tonight for Tek and let Beckett hit. It's defense and game calling. The energy behind this quickly gained a life of its own because of the start the team had.

In fact the energy might have been completely different if after 6 innings on Tuesday in Oakland the RS had a 1 run lead instead of a one run deficit.If that had been the case the RS would have brought in the best relievers (Jenks, Bard, Papelbon) instead of trying to hang close with Wheeler and Okajima. And then it would have been Salty catching a great Lackey start and a RS win instead of another CERA nightmare highlighted by hung curves by the Ghost of Okidokie.

Frankly I don't know where the quick fix comes from. Not just any catcher is going to avoid the harsh scrutiny of being the primary catcher replacing Tek. Catching is short in the game and if the problem is the pitchers don't "trust" Salty, just who do you bring in with the cred to change that? It isn't Napoli or Doumont IMO. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Considering that a week ago the Nation was giving up on the entire team is it not a bit to early to deem the Salty Experiment a failure?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav59 - Read your post again:

Perhaps you should.

"...and the prospect for Drew."

Means the prospect we get for Drew in the first deal.

It's clear that my plan was to trade drew for a prospect, then to deal that prospect along with the ones I listed for McCutchen and the Doumit and the salary dump Maholm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kalish and Ranaudo should be retained

Any GM in MLB would take McCutchen over Kalish.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The OP is nonsense.
    The Salty experiment is in it's infancy.
    And as long as the FO feels this gamble is worth the risk, Salty stays.

If you have noticed, we are now looking at a catching tandem. Salty isn't the FT catcher he was from day one. This is how it should have been orchestrated out of ST.

The FO didn't realize the measure of importance the position has. If they did, G. Kottaras wouldn't have backed up a hurting Tek - and Tek would never have sat during the '09 playoffs. I do believe Theo is finally starting to acknowledge this area.