We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

I agree harness, but some of us like to look ahead and plan for contingencies, such as, what if they give up on Salty as the answer for this season.

What could be out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

where's the link that Theo turned down Bowden for Montero? If anything, my vague recollection of the events is that ARI wanted Buchholz and Theo countered with Bowden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

I guess Theo did turn down an offer for Montero, but at the time he had put up .607, .689 and .765 OPS seasons. Nothing special at all. In hindsight, which is always nice to have, sure as heck would be nice to have him now.

And redsoxpride needs to stop being such an overreacting woman and have patience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]The OP is nonsense. The Salty experiment is in it's infancy. And as long as the FO feels this gamble is worth the risk, Salty stays. If you have noticed, we are now looking at a catching tandem. Salty isn't the FT catcher he was from day one. This is how it should have been orchestrated out of ST. The FO didn't realize the measure of importance the position has. If they did, G. Kottaras wouldn't have backed up a hurting Tek - and Tek would never have sat during the '09 playoffs. I do believe Theo is finally starting to acknowledge this area.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Speaking of George Kottaras, the catcher whom the Red Sox received in the 2006 trade of David Wells reportedly cleared waivers this week and was optioned to the Milwaukee Brewers' Triple A club in Nashville:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120392604.html

Apparently neither the Red Sox nor any other team saw Kottaras as the answer behind the plate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]I agree harness, but some of us like to look ahead and plan for contingencies, such as, what if they give up on Salty as the answer for this season. What could be out there?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If push comes to shove, the team could attain a veteran, light hitting catcher (i.e. a Cash type) who is reliable behind the plate at minimal cost.
    I don't see them giving up any important pieces or taking on any huge contracts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, if Salty bombs and we're in the race, the usual thing to do is upgrade at your weakest link.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If Salty bombs, I'm not so sure we will be in this race.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]If Salty bombs, I'm not so sure we will be in this race.

Scary thought, Harn, but probably true.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Depnds how long Theo lets it go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That kendrick was a tough out! Seldom do ya see Tek visit the mound twice in one at bat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

6 June, 1951:  .174/.296/.391

I think it was safe to say that the Willie experiment was over. He couldn't hit, he was average defensively, and his teammates did not trust him. The problem was at that point who could the Giants get?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Harness- Don't even mention a "Kevin Cash" type again. Kevin Cash is one of the worst hitting catchers, let alone anything that I have ever seen. And they gave him up for Angel Sanchez no less.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Why didn't the Sox re-sign Victor?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Rich Gedman still has a glove...I betcha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kevin Cash is one of the worst hitting catchers, let alone anything that I have ever seen...

Hasn't VTek, Mathis and Posada's subs shown that a hitting catcher is secondary to ther factors in helping a team win?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

"Why didn't the Sox re-sign Victor?"  UPJOHN

If you took the time to absorb the data on the CATCHER'S RELEVANCE thread last year, instead of taking cheap shots, you'd know why.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I wonder why Kevin Cash gets such a bad rap yet Tek is applauded.
    Cash was 8-60 (.133) while Tek is 1-28 (.043).
    Yet the team does/did well with both catchers starting - catching the same pitchers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as i said, theo had the chance to trade bowden for montero. yes hindsight is 20/20 but part of being a good gm is seing the potential in young players. catcher has always been a week spot for us in the minors. we had the chance to trade for a good, young catchers in montero and ianetta but declined to do so. we had a chance to sign russel martin in the offseason but declined to do so. Now we are left with a 39 yr old catch who could not get a hit if his life depended on it and 25 yr old who struggles to throw the ball back to the mound, has something like 5 passed balls already, has made multiple throwing errors, and has only thrown out 3 of 20 base stealers so far this season. theo has had years to figure out the catching situation and now he has very few options left. If salty keeps going the way he is going, i dont know what theo is going to do but he will have to do something. The cardinals are one team we could match up with and specifically yadier molina would be a great pick up. They hold an option for him for next season that is for 7 million. That seems to be a fair price but heres why i think we may have a shot to acquire him. With pujols likely to get a massive contract from the cards they could look to dump salary. They have gerald laird right now as their back up. He could certainly start for them and would be much cheaper than molina. I know its not likely we get him but who knows. Another option which i mentioned earlier could be ryan doumit. He is not the best defensive catcher but would be an upgrade from salty in that regard. He is also a switch hitter and can actually hit quite well for a catcher. He has two option years remaing on his contract for something like 7.5 mill per year. He would likely not cost us much trade wise,so he could end up being one of our better options. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Last night was a bad defensive night for salty..I dont know if I feel bad for this kid or what. But if he doesnt pick it up sometime in may, Theo will have no choice but to do something. What you say? Im really not sure whos available(realistically) and if there is someone on the farm we could give a shot to first. Our 2 top guys are Expo and Fed-X..are they ready for a shot? I certainly wouldnt give up the farm for a catcher. Just need one that can catch, throw and call a good game. The Sozx dont need a masher behind the plate. they have enough offense to carry a C IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

There is nobody out there that has any higher upside than Salty unfortunately. Nobody. We could try to pry Suzuki away from the Mariners but that would take an Ellsbury or Lowrie and prospects. It seems like Francona and Theo see something in the kid... maybe his work ethic that are making them stick with him for awhile. Remember pedroia at the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007? Got to give Salty till mid May at least. Every catcher has passed balls.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dan-from-Billerica. Show Dan-from-Billerica's posts

I disagree - Salty will be fine.  All of you are too quick to pull the plug.  Things haven't gone perfect at the beginning of the season so everyone's blaming Salty, but a lot of the blame has to be on the coaches.  The first two times thorugh the rotation, the pitchers were throwing fastballs 3 to 6 MPH less than they normally do - that makes a big difference in the major leagues.  The pitchers clearly weren't ready to turn up the heat when the season began - and Salty happened to catch most of those games.  Now the sSox pitchers are starting to throw harder, and we're seeing the benefit; oh, and by the way, both Salty and Veritek and catching some of these games. 

Has he been good, no not really, but it's far too early to just pull the plug.  If he really has the talent that the Sox saw in him, we'll start to see the benefit as he settles more into his role by mid season.  Give him time and he could be a great catcher for years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im not blaming salty for the losses..Not at all.. Im just saying that he really needs to pick it up.. Hes doing bad both offensively and defensively. I realize he has worked his azz off and thats why I havent given up on him yet..But come mid/end may, Something HAS to change..Do you agree?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]There is nobody out there that has any higher upside than Salty unfortunately. Nobody. We could try to pry Suzuki away from the Mariners but that would take an Ellsbury or Lowrie and prospects. It seems like Francona and Theo see something in the kid... maybe his work ethic that are making them stick with him for awhile. Remember pedroia at the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007? Got to give Salty till mid May at least. Every catcher has passed balls.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]
    Catcher Kurt Suzuki plays for the Oakland Athletics, who are unlikely to trade away their all-around solid (and modestly priced) backstop signed through 2013 with a team option for 2014. The A's want to win as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder why Kevin Cash gets such a bad rap yet Tek is applauded. Cash was 8-60 (.133) while Tek is 1-28 (.043). Yet the team does/did well with both catchers starting - catching the same pitchers.

Harness - How many runs has Varitek cost the team this year with his inability to get any type of hits, RBI's, etc.
    Salty at least has 5 RBI's and 3 Runs scored. He's produced 8 runs given he doesn't have a HR.
    Varitek has not driven in a run in 23 AB's nor has he scored a run. Throw in the 2 GIDP's and the 38% strikeout percentage and there's justification to DH for the guy.
    Salty cost the team a run with his defense yesterday, but his offense made up for that run.