We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?

Sorry I've not time to read the other posts this morning, but I'm not in favor of parting with Salty so quickly or this socalled expierement which is far from over.

Nobody is saying "part with him". He has options and potential. However, this is a championship-seeking team who can ill afford waiting too long for him to pan out. I chose Midmay, because if it isn't working by then, it will probably be crunch time.

It was only a few games ago many wrote off this season.

Yes, many did, but never me.

I'm not sure what type or quality of mentoring he got with Texas so I'd send him down to Pawtucket which is close enough to Boston that he could get coaching from Tek, plus our minor league staff. Some players take longer than others to mature. I'm in favor of keeping him and giving him a fair chance to improve. Sometimes just a change of scenery to a new organization can make a difference in a career.

I agree, but the timeline is closing in for Salty and this year's team. I'd gv it 3-4 more weeks and reevaluate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We could always send Salty to the minors for more seasoning and acquire a current ML-level catcher.......I don't want to ship him away either but we need a real catcher; actually we've needed one since 2008.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I finally agree with you andre.

(Maybe I need to reexamine my position... LOL)

Tongue out

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To ADG:

Evaluating Tek or Cash or any light-hitting catcher can't be done by simply looking at batting averages. As I said earlier, Cash drove in one lousy run last year, and yet the pitching staff was better with him catching. Especially the BP.
    And the team had a better winning pct. with Cash catching the same pitchers as the better hitting VMART.

You are judging this as a fan who see's lost opportunities from a catcher who isn't performing at the plate.

I'm judging it by how the pitching staff performs with this catcher...and how the team does when he catches. That's the primary function of a catcher.
    The offense can come from 8 other positions (incl DH).
    The bottom line is winning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

They should have kept v-Mart, it's as simple as that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i am starting to think that doumit might be our best option at this point. he would be a pretty good pick up. he can play right field and firstbase in addition to catcher so he would give us some versatility as well. On the days tek catches he could give drew a day off or papi. he is a little pricey but perhaps we could get the pirates to pay some of his salary and we would give them a a better prospect. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hamillOZ. Show hamillOZ's posts

patience people!! do you remember how Pedroia started off his career. I am sure most of you probably wanted him replaced after his first April and look how that turn out. GIve the kid a chance. let him settle down and adjust and he will prove he belongs..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya but the difference between pedroia and salty is that pedroia struggled offensively but was always good defensively. salty cant hit and is struggling big time defensively. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: We need a new catcher, the salty experiment is over. But who can we get?:
    [QUOTE]They should have kept v-Mart, it's as simple as that.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

No it's not that simple at all.  The Tigers didn't even sign him to be a #1 catcher, they signed him to DH and back up at catcher.  And even with that he's now on the DL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you look at the history of teams replacing long-time catchers, it's never an easy transition. How many really good catchers have the RedSox ever had?

The position involves more than any of us can imagine. This is gonna take a great deal of patience from the FO, the press and fan base.

I have often said: THERE'S NO WAY TO MEASURE VARITEK'S VALUE.
    And now that we are seeing him at the end of his career, trying to replace him may be the best way yet to appreciate what he's done in a RedSox uniform.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well said.

He's certainly showing he's a winner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

It's truly sad to see Varitek out there trying his best, but age has made his body stiff and his eye sight go bad. I was clapping when he finally go his 2nd hit of the season.

The catcher slot isn't a season barometer. DiceK was outstanding, a great sign since starting pitching is the only barometer. So if Varitek breaks down again as the backup, they can easily replace him with someone much better who can block the ball and throw the ball well. Salty appears to be gaining some confidence, despite his limited throwing and blocking talent and large frame. If he can hit a little better, he'll be a marginal split-time catcher.