We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.

There is nothing wrong with the SP that a good a**-whooping won't fix.
    Thsi is the staff I start in 2012:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buch
    Lackey
    Bedard

Oh. And remove the beer from the clubhouse during the game!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

A good whooping - now that just might work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

How did this Sox thread become a Yankee thread?

Man, you guys are IRRITATING as hell. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think you guys are getting carried away with Montero.  He's on a hot streak, but overall his offensive numbers have declined since last year.  And he hasn't convinced anybody he can be a major-league catcher.  That's not to say he's not a valuable prospect, but if I remember correctly the Rockies wanted Montero, Banuelos & Betances for Jimenez, and Jimenez is a way short of Felix Hernandez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Lackey for Felix straight up. Get it done, Theo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416704. Show user_4416704's posts

In Response to Re: We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.:
    [QUOTE]I think you guys are getting carried away with Montero.  He's on a hot streak, but overall his offensive numbers have declined since last year.  And he hasn't convinced anybody he can be a major-league catcher.  That's not to say he's not a valuable prospect, but if I remember correctly the Rockies wanted Montero, Banuelos & Betances for Jimenez, and Jimenez is a way short of Felix Hernandez.

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

But jiminez's contract is a lot more favorable than felix's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And that is why the Yanks didn't make a trade. Just because someone over-values a commodity doesn't mean you don't put in on the table. The other team can say yes or say no. You negotiate. Everyone does it.

slomag - As for Montero, there is little question as to offensive capabilities. This was his first year in AAA and then after a slow start, he turned up the juice and had more than respectable numbers. He is highly rated by all scouts. But you are correct about where or what position will he be best suited for.

soxmeister - agreed that this is a sox forum, but it is an open forum where anyone can discuss anything pertaining to baseball and the Sox. With the Yanks being the Sox biggest rival, it is not out of the ordinary to see these conversations.

The thread was not hijacked and there has been no disrespectful talk about the Sox. So I really don't see what is so irritating.

Make a point on the OP's original thought and go from there. These threads can maintain more than one conversation on the same subject matter. And the subject matter here is Felix Hernandez.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Lowrie , Aviles and Reddick in the starting lineup???? wow! Thinking big, eh?
    King Felix is a mediocre pitcher against good lineups. The Sox hit .325, Rangers beat him 4 times and hit .364, Jays .440, .296 vs. Phils, 4.95 ERA vs, Yankees.
    I think he's overrated. Look at his splits this year. Great against lousy teams.
    Stunk against good lineups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

In Response to Re: We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.:
    [QUOTE]mm - that is why Montero is perfect to trade. Yes, I agree, he will be a monster of a hitter, but I am not sure if he can cut it at catcher. He definitely cannot be an outfielder and 1b is out as we have Tex. DH is being held to cover A-rod and Jeter. There is just no place for him on the Yankee roster as it is constructed right now. So Montero is the perfect bait on the lure to get a pitcher who will dominate for another 6 or so years. And trust me, NY would still have to part with Betances and I am sure Seattle will ask for Nova, but hopefully would take Hughes or Chamberlain instead.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Montero to 1st and Teix to 3rd....his original position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]And that is why the Yanks didn't make a trade. Just because someone over-values a commodity doesn't mean you don't put in on the table. The other team can say yes or say no. You negotiate. Everyone does it. slomag - As for Montero, there is little question as to offensive capabilities. This was his first year in AAA and then after a slow start, he turned up the juice and had more than respectable numbers. He is highly rated by all scouts. But you are correct about where or what position will he be best suited for. soxmeister - agreed that this is a sox forum, but it is an open forum where anyone can discuss anything pertaining to baseball and the Sox. With the Yanks being the Sox biggest rival, it is not out of the ordinary to see these conversations. The thread was not hijacked and there has been no disrespectful talk about the Sox. So I really don't see what is so irritating. Make a point on the OP's original thought and go from there. These threads can maintain more than one conversation on the same subject matter. And the subject matter here is Felix Hernandez.

Actullay this was Montero's second season in AAA and although his bat looks primed for the big's, his value has yet to be determined, becasue he's still has not shown big league scouts that he has the skills to play any position at the ML level...Until he does teams won't overpay for a 21 year old DH...least of which a NL team, so it limits his trade value to AL teams only...That is why you don't see a ton of 20M per DH's...

I also think that everyone needs to get over the idea that the Mariners have any interest in trading Hernandez...He is the corner stone around which the team is being built and the plan might take two or three years to come to fruition but make no mistake about the M's are on thier way back up the food chain...Job one for the M's is to line up bats and that starts with evaluating what they have in guys like Smoak and Ackely and if both of them are indeed the middle of the order bats they believe them to be they then will look to surround them with complimentary pieces...

Hernandez is thier marque chip and if they determine that they cannot build a championship nucleus from within with solid draft and development they'll then rightfully use him as a means to load up with top prospects from another organization...to me that's at minimum 2 years away from even bien on the table...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Trading Elsbury one the best lead offs we had in some time would be my last option.  I would rather see papelbon and beckett leave boston and keep Youk as DH and back up third and first. Beckett and Papelbon can get the sox some good young prospects. Starting Line Up : Els CF, Pedroia 2B, Gonzelez 1B ,Youk DH, Crawford LF, Scutaro/Iglesias SS, Reddick RF, Lowrie/Acevez 3B, Stal./Lavarnway C Rotation: Lester Lackey Bucholtz Bedard ( prospect) The sox need to work on defense more then offence
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

who is this Acevez guy whom you want to put at hot corner???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I think you guys are getting carried away with Montero.  He's on a hot streak, but overall his offensive numbers have declined since last year.  And he hasn't convinced anybody he can be a major-league catcher.  That's not to say he's not a valuable prospect, but if I remember correctly the Rockies wanted Montero, Banuelos & Betances for Jimenez, and Jimenez is a way short of Felix Hernandez.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Actually the Rockies have a better catching prospect already in their system and didn't see Montero as a deal breaker...

Frankly even if the Yanks had offered them the above package not sure it was better than what they recieved from the Indians...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury and Lackey for Felix and Figgins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yank06. Show yank06's posts

In Response to We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.:
    [QUOTE]Do you really want to go into 2012 with the same starting staff and put Aceves or Bard in the 5th spot or pickup some well traveled veteran? Do you really feel comfortable? Do you see Lester or Beckett as number ones anymore? I say try to overwhelm Seattle with a package. Start with Buchholz and add some of our best prospects: Middlebrooks/Lavarnway/Kalish.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Yankees will get Felix Hernandez before Boston. They have better prospects to offer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My original point was that if NY gets into the ALCS and with the Rangers throwing aout many lefties, Montero will see some serious playing time. If he shines on the big stage, his value will go up and can be a center piece in a trade. Of course, this can work in reverse - if he goes 0 -20, then forget everything I said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]If Seattle is going to be overwhelmed start with an MVP finalist like Ellsbury and Buch. That's as far as I would go. If we went further I would like to see Furbush come back to New England with possibly Figgins, as a salary dump. So--Ells, Buch and a prospect for Felix, Furbush and Figgins. Ells and Buch for Felix is the main event. Furbush looked solid as a Lefty reliever with the Tigers--the M's have tried to make him a starter--he has had TJ surgery already. Figgins could be a nice leadoff or #2 behind CC.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Are u nuts? Ells for Felix would be too much! Trade the possible MVP of the league and our most productive guy for Hernandez? That's insanity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer. : Are u nuts? Ells for Felix would be too much! Trade the possible MVP of the league and our most productive guy for Hernandez? That's insanity.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

For a 25-year-old Cy Young winner with an extra year of control?  Seattle might have the best shot of extending Ellsbury before he hits FA, if he wants to be close to his home in OR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer.:
    [QUOTE]Do you really want to go into 2012 with the same starting staff and put Aceves or Bard in the 5th spot or pickup some well traveled veteran? Do you really feel comfortable? Do you see Lester or Beckett as number ones anymore? I say try to overwhelm Seattle with a package. Start with Buchholz and add some of our best prospects: Middlebrooks/Lavarnway/Kalish.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I would trade Felix for Beckett straight up for one reason.  I don't feel Josh would be the same pitcher without Tek, unless he can gain enough confidence to pitch his own game.  Thats the kind of talent it would take to get Felix and I don't think we have it to give away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]And that is why the Yanks didn't make a trade. Just because someone over-values a commodity doesn't mean you don't put in on the table. The other team can say yes or say no. You negotiate. Everyone does it. slomag - As for Montero, there is little question as to offensive capabilities. This was his first year in AAA and then after a slow start, he turned up the juice and had more than respectable numbers. He is highly rated by all scouts. But you are correct about where or what position will he be best suited for. soxmeister - agreed that this is a sox forum, but it is an open forum where anyone can discuss anything pertaining to baseball and the Sox. With the Yanks being the Sox biggest rival, it is not out of the ordinary to see these conversations. The thread was not hijacked and there has been no disrespectful talk about the Sox. So I really don't see what is so irritating. Make a point on the OP's original thought and go from there. These threads can maintain more than one conversation on the same subject matter. And the subject matter here is Felix Hernandez.

Not only was this Montero's second year at AAA, but his OPS dropped 56 points, and apparently he showed no improvement behind the plate.  Scouts still love his bat, but they loved Lars Anderson's (who put up very similar numbers) too.  Nothing he does in the post-season will improve his stock high enough to be the centerpiece of a Felix Hernandez trade - it would take at the very least one of Gardner / Nova and one of Betances / Banuelos in addition to Montero.  Maybe more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Will someone please look at King Felix's record against good teams????????????
    I would not trade Ellsbury for this guy, let alone picking up the unltimate left handed pop gun hitting flop, Chone Figgins.
    Some of these posters are clueless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]My original point was that if NY gets into the ALCS and with the Rangers throwing aout many lefties, Montero will see some serious playing time. If he shines on the big stage, his value will go up and can be a center piece in a trade. Of course, this can work in reverse - if he goes 0 -20, then forget everything I said.

Hey,
    Jesse if they get there and if he has a big series...

IMHO it won't have that much of an impact on his percieved value. Rather will only confirm what has already been established...The kid can hit...

The 20 million dollar question is? Does he possess the ability to play any position on the diamond at or above the major league minimum and if he does, then the value of his bat can be weighted against like players at like positions...

If he's a catcher that has the tools to play 150 games and hit 25 homers with a 850 OPS...He's a top of the food chain offensive catcher...If he develops his tools behind the plate and shows improvement to where he's at least as good as Posada was, then they'd be crazy to trade him...

Puljos, Gonzalez, Votto, Howard, Fielder, Cabrera & Texiera....all of them are accomplished middle of the order bats "proven run producers"...IMHO Puljos, Gonzalez, Votto and Texiera are the gold standards by which the rest of the field is measured...Is Montero's bat in thier league?

Time will tell...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

You left out the amazing Ryan Braun. All he does is hit, and field his position as well as anyone in MLB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need Felix Hernandez; Seattle needs offense-make your best offer. : Hey, Jesse if they get there and if he has a big series... IMHO it won't have that much of an impact on his percieved value. Rather will only confirm what has already been established...The kid can hit... The 20 million dollar question is? Does he possess the ability to play any position on the diamond at or above the major league minimum and if he does, then the value of his bat can be weighted against like players at like positions... If he's a catcher that has the tools to play 150 games and hit 25 homers with a 850 OPS...He's a top of the food chain offensive catcher... If he develops his tools behind the plate and shows improvement to where he's at least as good as Posada was, then they'd be crazy to trade him... Puljos, Gonzalez, Votto, Howard, Fielder, Cabrera & Texiera....all of them are accomplished middle of the order bats "proven run producers"...IMHO Puljos, Gonzalez, Votto and Texiera are the gold standards by which the rest of the field is measured...Is Montero's bat in thier league? Time will tell...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

How do you put Teixeira in that group?  He hit .248 this year - he's a closer comparison to Carlos Pena than he is Votto, Pujols or Gonzalez.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Votto would be awful nice, but the Sox need to find a way to get Cole Hamels or Cliff Lee away from Philly.

It's time for a shut down, lights out ace on the Red Sox staff...and a new GM.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Poor Montero. He's 21 years old, may not shave yet,  with 30 days in the bigs where he has absolutely raked all month. Gets a hit and RBI in his first playoff at bat, and slomag has the guy dead and buried. Do you think he may be capable of the same learning curve at whatever position he chooses to play like everyone else in the majors who was ever a rookie? Please stop the nonsense.