We need to develope some of these kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

We need to develope some of these kids

Fellow poster's we need to wait let some of these kids develope and let them help in the near future.  Yes, I would love to get another big name starting pitcher?  But at what expense?  In the near future we will some of these kids to develope and take over for some of our aging player's or we will be a second division team.  Toronto, Tampa, Yanks and Soon to be Baltimore have higher level player's waiting to step in and play!!  You cannot buy every position and compete, IT'S JUST NOT ECONOMICALLY FEASABLE!! We have a good core of player's to build upon, we don'y need to overpay and kill ourselves later.  BE PATIENT AND STAY THE COURSE. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: We need to develope some of these kids

I agree bigdog.
    There's a chance to do it this season. It's make or break time for Doubrount. Wilson will hopefully get a good look in ST.
    I think there is a need for a philosophical change in the Sox handling of these kids to stretch them out to at least 6 inning by July 1 and instill in  them that 6 + innings is what we expect.
    Go to the Minor League affiliates page and look at the pitchers stats--very seldom will you see anyone pitching 6 innings. The Dominican League or in "A" ball I can see it because they are still young. "AA" and "AAA" the starters should be allowed to really show what they have--generally by July this should be the norm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

why develop when you can sign a JD Drew to play RF, or a Rent-a-wreck to play SS? We should forget about Lynn, Burleson, Evans, Rice, Yaz, Tony C, Reggie Smith,  Scott, Cooper, Burks, Greenwell, Vaughn, Nomar, and Fisk.

Why develop when we can money grab some lame azz who had 1-2-3 good years somewhere else?

That is the Yankee way and sadly it is now the Yawkey way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The free agency and trade route has also brought Schilling, Pedro, Manny, Millar, Papi, Mueller, Damon, Lowell, Beckett, etc.

It's not an evil thing to go pay for players. It's also smart to develop your own talent ie Youk, Pedroia, Lester andd Papelbon. A solid combination brought rings in 2004 and 2005...that's where the trick is, finding the middle ground.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

When the Red Sox won World Series in 2004 and 2007, the team was made up of a combination of players developed within the organization and by FA and trade.  In these times of most professional ballplayers not having loyalty to their original or favorite team, most teams have to be put together the way the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox were.  Maybe some fans can mention teams in some Championship Seasons which were made up more heavily of players developed within the organization, e.g. can remember when it seemed like a team like the Yankees had a Farm Team in Kansas City as the A's, e.g. Hank Bauer, Roger Maris etc. or teams like the Reds in 1975 had many players developed by the organization, e.g. Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, Ken Griffey or their 1975 World Series opponent with Carl Yaz, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Carlton Fisk etc.  But it is not at all likely we will see teams again developed within the organization like the 1975 Reds and Red Sox. It does seem that within the current Red Sox ownership approach to drafting and developing players within the organization, to some degree with drafting somewhat more mature players with collegiate experience, the Red Sox may be more likely to be able to compete with that approach, at least drafting Nomar, Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, Ellsbury, Lester, Buchholz, Bard Lowrie, Lavarnway that method can work as does seemingly broadening the scouting in Japan, other Asian countries, and Cuba suggests the Red Sox are smart about this approach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: We need to develope some of these kids:
    [QUOTE]why develop when you can sign a JD Drew to play RF, or a Rent-a-wreck to play SS? We should forget about Lynn, Burleson, Evans, Rice, Yaz, Tony C, Reggie Smith,  Scott, Cooper, Burks, Greenwell, Vaughn, Nomar, and Fisk. Why develop when we can money grab some lame azz who had 1-2-3 good years somewhere else? That is the Yankee way and sadly it is now the Yawkey way.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I think this was certainly the direction the Sox were moving in.  But, I think the Cherrington era may be a return to better team-building strategies.  The reason that many people are whining about Cherrington's lack of splash this winter is that the club is obviously bent on rectifying some of the willy-nilly FA spending of the latter-day Epstein era.  Clearly, the club is willing to see the RF situation out with kalish/Reddick, unless a Cody Ross or someone comes on the cheap later in the off-season.  Same with starting pitching.  Fix from within.  Even the Melancon deal fits in this mold, as he is young and under team control for a long time.  He becomes a defacto prospect.  Theo got away from his own stated objectives.  But, judging from things he has said, and, thus far, his actions, I would say Cherrington took those objectives to heart and wants to re-implement them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]why develop when you can sign a JD Drew to play RF, or a Rent-a-wreck to play SS? We should forget about Lynn, Burleson, Evans, Rice, Yaz, Tony C, Reggie Smith,  Scott, Cooper, Burks, Greenwell, Vaughn, Nomar, and Fisk. Why develop when we can money grab some lame azz who had 1-2-3 good years somewhere else? That is the Yankee way and sadly it is now the Yawkey way.

Philly signed CLee and now Paps.
    Stl signed Holliday and now Beltran.
    SF signed Zito.
    TX signed Beltre and now Darvish.
    LAA signed Pujols and Wilson.

If you think big market teams are going to survive by consistently picking winners drafting 25-30, it ain't happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to We need to develope some of these kids:
    [QUOTE]Fellow poster's we need to wait let some of these kids develope and let them help in the near future.  Yes, I would love to get another big name starting pitcher?  But at what expense?  In the near future we will some of these kids to develope and take over for some of our aging player's or we will be a second division team.  Toronto, Tampa, Yanks and Soon to be Baltimore have higher level player's waiting to step in and play!!  You cannot buy every position and compete, IT'S JUST NOT ECONOMICALLY FEASABLE!! We have a good core of player's to build upon, we don'y need to overpay and kill ourselves later.  BE PATIENT AND STAY THE COURSE. 
    Posted by bigdog1[/QUOTE]

I agree as well, and wholeheartedly.  If I were BC, I'd be telling BV that Tazawa and Doubront were going to be in the BP, and that it was up to him to use them correctly.  Not every pitching prospect has to be Lester and Buchholz.  We have a screaming need to develop a couple of #4/5 type SPs that can throw 180 innings with a 4.50 ERA.

If we develop a 4/5, a 3B, a SS, a CF and RF, and a couple of BP arms, then it becomes a whole lot easier to put some folding money on the table for guys like CLee, and whatever other #1s come up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

joe it is not like I was saying we need to do thi at every position. Notice I did not even touch the pitching.  We have AGon, Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury etc..... and because of that we can work in 2 rookies at SS and RF for 2012 or at least the first half and see how they do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]joe it is not like I was saying we need to do thi at every position. Notice I did not even touch the pitching.  We have AGon, Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury etc..... and because of that we can work in 2 rookies at SS and RF for 2012 or at least the first half and see how they do.

My apologies if I got this wrong, but it sounded like you were complaining about us just signing guys.  For a big market team, with picks generally 25-30, we've developed a lot of guys.  Youk, Pedey, Ells, Reddck, Lester, Buch, Paps, Bard, and used some of our prospects in trade to acquire other players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I just see here that we have one of the best offenses in the world, and it will only get better if Crawford bats 9th and returns to form. It is not every year we do have 2 or 3 viable rookies who have at least a shot at playing full time in the upcoming season. With all the big bats and all*stars on this team I will always believe we can afford to give a player like Iglesias and Kalish 3 months to show their abilities so long as they at least catch the ball and don't screw us on the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Can't believe they're not bringing Rich Hill back. He was doing really well until he was injured.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

A couple of positions with younger bodies.  I agree with Burrito..not that he needs my approval...but ets not like we are talking about revamping the entire line up with AAA kids.  We really have a strong core,  staying young in RF and or SS infuses fresh blood to a team that ended last year like a bunch of old men.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yes that is something I have been hounding on since November.

Sections
Shortcuts