We should all change our expectations of this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

We should all change our expectations of this team

Doesn't it sort of seem as though the FO has fundamentally changed how they view their team in relation to the league as a whole? I mean, elite cornerstone MLB franchises don't do things like trade their starting shortstop for a few million in salary relief or go into ST with 40% or the rotation in a black whole. Those are the actions of a team that knows they don't match up with the competition on paper, but are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with cast-offs, has-beens, and never-weres. Come to think of it, this team feels a a lot like to Sox teams I grew up rooting for in the 80's and 90's. Back then, I would have been perfectly happy with a 90-win, third place season. Maybe the key to getting through thus season is going to be adjusting our expectations down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: We should all change our expectations of this team

In Response to We should all change our expectations of this team:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't it sort of seem as though the FO has fundamentally changed how they view their team in relation to the league as a whole? I mean, elite cornerstone MLB franchises don't do things like trade their starting shortstop for a few million in salary relief or go into ST with 40% or the rotation in a black whole. Those are the actions of a team that knows they don't match up with the competition on paper, but are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with cast-offs, has-beens, and never-weres. Come to think of it, this team feels a a lot like to Sox teams I grew up rooting for in the 80's and 90's. Back then, I would have been perfectly happy with a 90-win, third place season. Maybe the key to getting through thus season is going to be adjusting our expectations down.
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]

Yankees went into last season with less than that and still won the division. I don't understand this gloom that seems to continually hang over RSN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

In Response to Re: We should all change our expectations of this team:
    [QUOTE]In Response to We should all change our expectations of this team : Yankees went into last season with less than that and still won the division. I don't understand this gloom that seems to continually hang over RSN.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Except the guys the Yankees brought in last year, Colon and Garcia had a lot or success in the major leagues.  At one point in there careers they were both legit number one starters.  Colon for a time was the best pitcher in baseball.  Meanwhile this offseason, the Red Sox inivted John Maine, Carlos Silva, and Vincente Padilla.  Pitching in their prime and at there best who would rather have.? Its not even close.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't it sort of seem as though the FO has fundamentally changed how they view their team in relation to the league as a whole? I mean, elite cornerstone MLB franchises don't do things like trade their starting shortstop for a few million in salary relief or go into ST with 40% or the rotation in a black whole. Those are the actions of a team that knows they don't match up with the competition on paper, but are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with cast-offs, has-beens, and never-weres. Come to think of it, this team feels a a lot like to Sox teams I grew up rooting for in the 80's and 90's. Back then, I would have been perfectly happy with a 90-win, third place season. Maybe the key to getting through thus season is going to be adjusting our expectations down.
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Garcia in fact produced much better numbers in 2010 than Beckett did.  He wasn't as much of a gamble as some would like to have you believe.  Colon on the other hand....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

This team will do just fine. There is no need to change our expectations at this point. I truly believe that at the end of the season the Sox will be one of the teams in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Doesn't it sort of seem as though the FO has fundamentally changed how they view their team in relation to the league as a whole? I mean, elite cornerstone MLB franchises don't do things like trade their starting shortstop for a few million in salary relief or go into ST with 40% or the rotation in a black whole. Those are the actions of a team that knows they don't match up with the competition on paper, but are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with cast-offs, has-beens, and never-weres. Come to think of it, this team feels a a lot like to Sox teams I grew up rooting for in the 80's and 90's. Back then, I would have been perfectly happy with a 90-win, third place season. Maybe the key to getting through thus season is going to be adjusting our expectations down.
    Posted by cgmiles75

While what you described CAN be the sign of a team that isn't necessarily expecting to be competitive, there's no guarantee, or even correlation. With the Red Sox, it looks more like a sign of a team that (like all teams) has limited resources and has assigned those resources in previous seasons. Just because they can't add more resources to the "holes" doesn't mean failure...the resources are just in other parts of the team. Some teams want decent quality at all spots, others want elite talent in a few spots and can therefore take greater risks for the remainging part of the team.

And the Yankee 2010 example is the perfect counter to this. They didn't like the available options for their rotation holes, and rather than choose the best, but flawed, options (as many Yankee teams in the past have), they chose short term risks, knowing that the options would be different at the trade deadline and/or following offseason.

And while Garcia and Colon have better track records than the Red Sox collection, their upside was far lower and their risks seemingly greater. Garcia had done nothing more than eat innings in 2010 after three lost seasons, and Colon had shown no ability to stay healthy for more than a handful of starts for years (who would have expected that he would try an experimental procedure?). The Red Sox have three guys with minor league deals who have all had some previous, and much more recent, success in MLB, plus a RP who is attempting the same type of switch as CJ Wilson and Alexi Ogando successfully made, plus a hybrid RP/SP who has pitched VERY well in recent seasons. Seems like the Sox are making a much safer bet with their two open spots than the 2010 Yankees did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When your starting shortstop is basically a glorified utility man and he's 36 years old , why not trade him? This isn't Nomar in his better days we are talking about, it's Marco Scutaro.

When 40% of your starting rotation is Daisuke and the much maligned Lackey, could even two minor leaguers ( or a couple of cast-offs, has-beens or never-weres do much worse?...

Besides , you don't come back from a black hole,

If you knew your science , you would have known this was a poor comparison.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In Response to Re: We should all change our expectations of this team:
    [QUOTE]Garcia in fact produced much better numbers in 2010 than Beckett did.  He wasn't as much of a gamble as some would like to have you believe.  Colon on the other hand....
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

Considering that Beckett was injured throughout that 2010 season (after three excellent seasons, and he was expected to be fully recovered in 2011), comparing their 2010s seems pretty silly.

You don't think a guy who virtually vanished for three years (combined numbers from '07 to '09: 5.02 ERA, 93 ERA+, 1.38 WHIP, and only 23 total starts) and then was again below average when he was finally healthy in 2010 (4.64 ERA, 92 ERA+, 1.38 WHIP, 28 starts) was a big risk? Basically, there was a very good chance Garcia would have health problems, and if by some chance Garcia avoided health problems, the best case projection for him in the AL East would have been a 4.60 ERA, 95 ERA+, 1.35 WHIP...an injury prone inning-eating mediocrity. With plenty of downside...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

My expectations for the team hasn't changed. I beleive they still have the talent to compete for the AL East title.

My expectations for this board however....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I

n Response to Re: We should all change our expectations of this team:
    [QUOTE]My expectations for the team hasn't changed. I beleive they still have the talent to compete for the AL East title. My expectations for this board however....
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Gratuitous photo of the day just to make you feel better about the board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

LOL

Sections
Shortcuts