Webster and his few struggles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Webster and his few struggles

Should we be worried, or is this just part of the game?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Webster and his few struggles

Hes a young pitcher who still needs some work. I wouldnt be too concerned right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He does not have the velocity that had been reported. On top of that , his fastball is straight as an arrow. Lacks command of his off speed pitches.  Let's hope it is just a case of nerves and nothing more. Right now he looks very overrated.  It is hard to see where all of the hype came from.

Stabbed by Foulke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Nerves. There must be a gallon of adrenalin pumping through his veins in the first innings. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

Nerves. There must be a gallon of adrenalin pumping through his veins in the first innings. 

yup....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

he MIGHT be settleing down?  i don't want to talk to soon....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Blame Nieves and Salty.  Through the grand slam he threw almost nothing but fastballs.  With the very next batter he started throwing sliders and changeuos and now has 8 outs with no runs.

I might add Lester throw way too many fastballs.  

The Detroit pitcher seems to be throwing  lots of breaking balls which seem to be working.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Blame Nieves and Salty.  Through the grand slam he threw almost nothing but fastballs.  With the very next batter he started throwing sliders and changeuos and now has 8 outs with no runs.

I might add Lester throw way too many fastballs.  

The Detroit pitcher seems to be throwing  lots of breaking balls which seem to be working.  

Good call..... A pitcher needs to use all his pitches to keep the offense off balance !!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lolofred. Show lolofred's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

He does not have the velocity that had been reported. On top of that , his fastball is straight as an arrow. Lacks command of his off speed pitches.  Let's hope it is just a case of nerves and nothing more. Right now he looks very overrated.  It is hard to see where all of the hype came from.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Has NO business in bigs...should be getting experience in Portland and next year at Pawtucket. His e.r.a in the majors this year could approach 20.0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

That should be the last time he pitches in the majors this yr. He is clearly not MLB ready.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Allen Webster lowered his ERA by half a run tonight.

Webster reminds me of another righthander born in 1990 and taken in the late rounds of the 2008 draft -- Seattle's Brandon Maurer -- and I have not given up on either pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Allen Webster lowered his ERA by half a run tonight.

Webster reminds me of another righthander born in 1990 and taken in the late rounds of the 2008 draft -- Seattle's Brandon Maurer -- and I have not given up on either pitcher.

Websters fastball reminds me of John "Way-back" Wasdins fastball. Very straight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gee, somehow I knew there would be dozens of "scouts" proclaiming Webster was not MLB material.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He had 21 swing and misses last night. Thats very good against  the Tigers lineup. He still needs a little work, But Im betting he will be a successful MLB pitcher. He had to establish his FB last night. This is what they do with every rookie pitcher. Nothing new there. Its funny that some of you feel the need to constantly blame someone for something going wrong. Sometimes things just dont work out, especially in this game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I wasn't big on Webster before the start of the season, but you can't ignore the season he has had at AAA this year - his WHIP is under 1.  That's dominant.  If he continues to have that kind of success, it will translate to the majors.

He gave up one HR last year in 120 AA innings.  He's not John Wasdin.  Get a grip.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

How many young pitchers have impacted our starting rotation since Clay? Webster is not mentally ready for the majors and neither is anyone else on the farm for another year or two.  This has been a problem in our organization for years and we just continue to sign high priced "beat up" arms for a bridge to nowhere.

We either trade a couple good prospects for a decent SP, or suffer through "at the very least" two more years of this and hope Clay holds up the best he can.  We may be in first place but it won't last very long and certainly won't get us through the PS if we make it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]In response to chickenandboose's comment:

How many young pitchers have impacted our starting rotation since Clay? Webster is not mentally ready for the majors and neither is anyone else on the farm for another year or two.  This has been a problem in our organization for years and we just continue to sign high priced "beat up" arms for a bridge to nowhere.

We either trade a couple good prospects for a decent SP, or suffer through "at the very least" two more years of this and hope Clay holds up the best he can.  We may be in first place but it won't last very long and certainly won't get us through the PS if we make it. [QUOTE]

What "decent SP" is available and what "good prospects" should the Red Sox be willing to trade? Red Sox fans might agree on the generalities, but the specifics are more difficult.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]In response to chickenandboose's comment:

We either trade a couple good prospects for a decent SP, or suffer through "at the very least" two more years of this and hope Clay holds up the best he can.  We may be in first place but it won't last very long and certainly won't get us through the PS if we make it. [QUOTE]

What "decent SP" is available and what "good prospects" should the Red Sox be willing to trade? Red Sox fans might agree on the generalities, but the specifics are more difficult.

Hill,

I agree it's a tough decision on who to trade but it needs to be done.  At this point I would begin by throwing names like Middy, Doub, Brentz and a top young pitching prospect out of De La Rosa, Renaudo, Barnes or Webster out there to see what bites we get for a top starter from a struggling team, or soon to be FA.   

The only two untouchables on our present farm in my opinion are Bogy and Bradley period.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some of you are truly geting a bit overly dramatic about a 23 yr old kid whos almost done developing in the minors. "Hes not mentally ready", "Should be getting experience in Portland next year".

Are you guys kidding? Relax. Kid had a rough start, but also showed why he will be a good MLB pitcher one day. 21 swing and misses, good secondary stuff and got lots of compliments from the tigers lineup. Hes not done developing, but hes certainly not 2 years out. Like I said, relax.

The Sox will obviously be exploring any opportunity to acquire pitching in July, and will pull the trigger if it makes sense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's EXHIBIT A on no matter how much potential a player might have, it doesn't mean they're automatically ready for the majors. It's why posters like bill look incredibly stupid when they start calling for a player to be called up and thrown into the mix just because he's on a hot streak in the minors. There's a process involved and it's the rare few who can skip steps along the way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

How old is Webster Bill? 18?

That's what he looks like, he also looks like he's about to pi$ $ his pants to start the game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It's EXHIBIT A on no matter how much potential a player might have, it doesn't mean they're automatically ready for the majors. It's why posters like bill look incredibly stupid when they start calling for a player to be called up and thrown into the mix just because he's on a hot streak in the minors. There's a process involved and it's the rare few who can skip steps along the way.

Very well put, Sir. Your post should be mandatory reading for all the Bill *06's, doom and gloomers, and Cherrington bashers hereabouts.

Sections
Shortcuts