Webster, DLR, Dempster--a little competition brings out the juices in Lester,Buch and Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Webster, DLR, Dempster--a little competition brings out the juices in Lester,Buch and Lackey

Somebody is going to lose a starting rotation position for the Sox.

Doubie is #6 on the deth chart IMO. Rubby will go to AAA but Webster may open in the rotation. Give him three more good starts;with a 4 inn. and a 5 inn. If he stops  the opposition as he has to date he might be in Fenway in April.

With Wilson also performing well he may be the last man in the pen--Breslow DL. Bard more work at AAA --Wilson slips in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Webster, DLR, Dempster--a little competition brings out the juices in Lester,Buch and Lackey

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Somebody is going to lose a starting rotation position for the Sox.

Doubie is #6 on the deth chart IMO. Rubby will go to AAA but Webster may open in the rotation. Give him three more good starts;with a 4 inn. and a 5 inn. If he stops  the opposition as he has to date he might be in Fenway in April.

With Wilson also performing well he may be the last man in the pen--Breslow DL. Bard more work at AAA --Wilson slips in.

While I agree it's nice to see the prospects pushing the 'big guys' a bit....I really don't think it would be a good idea to start Webster in the ML.  He has never pitched more than 145 innings and really needs to build up his stamina to be a power pitcher that can go 185-210 innings.  I do believe though that we WILL see him at some point this season with the big club.  I also think if he and RDLR does well they may make one or more the starters expendable in a trade this season or next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Webster, DLR, Dempster--a little competition brings out the juices in Lester,Buch and Lackey

Unless someone gets hurt, the rotation is set -- Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Dempster and Doubrant (or whatever the order is).

Even if Felix struggles in the spring, he's going to start the season in the rotation while Webster and De La Rosa start in the minors. If someone struggles in April, then maybe you see someone come up and step in.

Managers don't rank a depth chart based on how they do in the spring. They already have the plan set, and at this point, it takes a major injury or major blowup for one of the five to not start the season in the rotation.

A young guy can be lights out and excelerate the decision-making once the season starts, but if there wasn't an opening going into the spring, it's rare that a change is made to start the season -- especially when you look at experience of Webster or the coming-back-from injury of  Rubby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Only if Ben & J F go in with an open mind.........  This bit that roster positions are set by $$$$$$$$ is one reason why the $ox have fallen off over the last few years......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I agree I highly doubt Webster or RDLR push anyone out of the rotation just yet. I would look more towards possibly June or July.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its great to see our future starters doing well this spring, but to think they will knock one our starting 5 out of the rotation is wishful thinking. Even if there is an injury there are others ahead of them right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Do people hope that JBJ and Webster/RDL will be on the opening day rosters or do they actually think it will happen?  I'm confused here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Do people hope that JBJ and Webster/RDL will be on the opening day rosters or do they actually think it will happen?  I'm confused here.

I think its more of hoping, which might lead to some irrational thinking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Only if Ben & J F go in with an open mind.........  This bit that roster positions are set by $$$$$$$$ is one reason why the $ox have fallen off over the last few years......

why no "next carlton fisk" threads this year? You seem to like any player not on the current roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

why no "next carlton fisk" threads this year? You seem to like any player not on the current roster.

SON, we all see things a little different with the decisions on "who" should stay,play, and go.........  Thats what baseball is all about !!!!    Don't rule out "Carlton Lavarnway", just yet !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavrnway is not a full time MLB catcher.  If he has a future with Redsox he needs to do two things.  He needs to learn another position; presumably first base.  Lavrnway also must hit.  If he can hit I can see him as a C/DH/1B guy for us.....but he will not be the next Fisk. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lavrnway is not a full time MLB catcher.  If he has a future with Redsox he needs to do two things.  He needs to learn another position; presumably first base.  Lavrnway also must hit.  If he can hit I can see him as a C/DH/1B guy for us.....but he will not be the next Fisk. 

Granted it's only mid ST but if the Sox start Drew at SS they could possibly afford to keep two defensive minded catchers.

Heresey--Lava is not hitting and he's not as good def. as Ross and Vazquez. They can keep Salty as a possible DH, PH, back-up 1B and Emergency catcher.

I do , though an outside shot, see Webster beating out Doubie for a rotation spot when camp breaks and adding Doubie to the pen until Breslow and/ or Morales returns.

Think aboout the Rays and their young studs--do you think Madden cares about the number of years of team control. Do you think he cared that they traded Sheilds--he knows he's got three guys ready for prime time any second.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Granted it's only mid ST but if the Sox start Drew at SS they could possibly afford to keep two defensive minded catchers.

Heresey--Lava is not hitting and he's not as good def. as Ross and Vazquez. They can keep Salty as a possible DH, PH, back-up 1B and Emergency catcher.

I do , though an outside shot, see Webster beating out Doubie for a rotation spot when camp breaks and adding Doubie to the pen until Breslow and/ or Morales returns.

Think aboout the Rays and their young studs--do you think Madden cares about the number of years of team control. Do you think he cared that they traded Sheilds--he knows he's got three guys ready for prime time any second.

While Vasquez is having a decent ST i don't think he is MLB ready just yet. he Isn't better than Salty anyway. Every catcher in the system knows this is a walk year for Salty and that if they shine, they can get their shot in 2014. But i just do not see Lava as a Catcher. I'm dismissing his offensive numbers last season because he was putting so much effort into refining his defensive game and it showed. Look to the last season he wasn't a FT catcher and you will see impressive numbers. If you move him off of catcher, he will be that same big time masher he was in 2011. I think we should do it. expecially since we need some thundah. People were saying he was ready by virtue of his offense in 2011.. it is now 2013 and we lack multiple guys who can give us big time power. If there was ever a time to take a chance on Lava it would be now. especially if papi ends up on the DL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree I don't think Lava is a catcher.  From what I've heard his defensive talents have seem to hit a ceiling and although he has improved he is and presumably will always be an average catcher.  I think he should play some time at 1B/DH and still catch a few games behind the plate in Pawtucket and just focus on his bat.  If he is going to stick with Boston then he will have to be that guy that spends time at 1B/C and spends time as a DH as well.  And he HAS to hit to be that guy.  I think he can do it, but I think the excitement with him has definitely faded.