Webster - what am I missing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

Webster - what am I missing

Okay, so hes young. But the kids looked absolutely atrocious in the big leagues. Maybe some day he'll have a fastball that isn't an arrow but right now he's nowhere close to being ready. Back down son.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Webster - what am I missing

Hes a work in progress. Not quite ready, but has shown some improvements. He''ll go back to AAA when Buch is back...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes he needs to go back down, he doesn't belong here yet and he's hurting the team.  But let's not let the fact that he isn't ready and is still working on some things be an indictment on his prospect status.  Remember how many people were down on Iggy??? Websters a top prospect for a good reason, kinda stinks he can't seem to throw it all together when the club could really use it.   But let's just hope he goes down to Pawtucket and refrain from bashing this young man.  (I say this because I can see it coming)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes a work in progress. Not quite ready, but has shown some improvements. He''ll go back to AAA when Buch is back...

His ERA is now 9.00.  How about we try someone else? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

I'm actually serious. What has he got? Because any positional player could pitch as well as this kid can!

"When I die Dublin will be written in my heart." - James Joyce

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You probably couldn't pitch much better in a local softball game....a lot of us probably couldn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He couldn't spot his fastball tonight.  That's the #1 thing as a starter it sets up all your other pitches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is not doing Webster any good. He does not belong in MLB. Have to send him down. All they are doing is destroying his confidence.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is not doing Webster any good. He does belong in MLB. Have to send him down. All they are doing is destroying his confidence.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Couldnt agree more. How can anyone having this much of a nightmare not start doubting their ability. I mean his ERA is beyond laughable. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Isn't that the rap on him that he throws over the middle of the plate consistently? Dust someone once in a while redsox pitchers! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Isn't that the rap on him that he throws over the middle of the plate consistently? Dust someone once in a while redsox pitchers! 

That and he can't pitch!  There's that too

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

His last start he went 6IP 5H and 1 run...Hes just not quite ready. Im sure the sox didnt want to use him this much, but hes a good prospect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah he can't pitch that's why they pulled his name out of a hat and put a uniform on him.

If only the sox could develop top pitching prospects, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

He's got really good stuff, a fastball that hits 97, a sinker that hits 96 and a changeup at 86. Fact is he's still a kid, and his biggest problem is lack of confidence. You can see it in the way he pitches, he needs to start attacking hitters, his stuff is electric he just needs to focus.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He has solid potential but he's clearly not ready for the majors. He's been roughed up badly against two of the worst hitting teams in the MLB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Wow what a bad outing... He is 2/6 in quality starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

dgalehouse was the first in this thread to mention webster's confidence, and last night he had none.  you could see on his face last night that he was only "hoping" to get batters out when a pitcher who is doing well "knows" that he is going to get batters out (uehara, for example).

this young guy needs to be saved right now from possibly destroying his career from the inside out.

please send him to the minor league complex in florida for a week of r & r and then let him rebuild himself before everything in his head is lost.  look what has happened to bard since he lost his confidence.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

dgalehouse was the first in this thread to mention webster's confidence, and last night he had none.  you could see on his face last night that he was only "hoping" to get batters out when a pitcher who is doing well "knows" that he is going to get batters out (uehara, for example).

this young guy needs to be saved right now from possibly destroying his career from the inside out.

please send him to the minor league complex in florida for a week of r & r and then let him rebuild himself before everything in his head is lost.  look what has happened to bard since he lost his confidence.

Methinks you're being a bit overly dramatic with that claim.  Not every player or pitcher is that emotionally fragile.  If he really is so fragile that he can't recover from taking his lumps as a newbie, he's probably not major league material to begin with.  

Having said that, he taxes the staff a lot by getting knocked around and knocked out so early in ballgames.  He's a big drain on the team and needs to be replaced with someone who could at least manage five or six innings without letting the game get away.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't see what AAA will do for Webster. So he goes down and dominates again. He should stay in  Boston and pitch in 2-4 inning low pressure situations to gain confidence. He has everything else. RS will have to manage his spots, and nurse him along while he gets there. He will be worth the trouble. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Can Aceves take his spot in the rotation?  He has done a decent job for the Sox spot starting this year even though he has issues in other areas.  I agree with the other poster.  Use Webster in relief and manage the guy along.  Once he starts getting it at the major league level he could really help, he has good stuff.  Ex.  Miller (who just got hurt) took forever to finally become a good pitcher,even though it is as a reliever. Huge win for the Sox last night.  This team show good character I hope they get Buch back soon, this team needs him now.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

His ERA is now 9.00.  How about we try someone else? 

Not much "progress".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He's probably headed back today. Would you start him another game? 7 HR in 26 IP. Fastball is as straight as an arrow. And really no improvements. ERA well over 9.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't see what AAA will do for Webster. So he goes down and dominates again. He should stay in  Boston and pitch in 2-4 inning low pressure situations to gain confidence. He has everything else. RS will have to manage his spots, and nurse him along while he gets there. He will be worth the trouble. 

So he give up runs and blow games? What does keeping him around for low pressure situations do? Nothing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

His last start he went 6IP 5H and 1 run...Hes just not quite ready. Im sure the sox didnt want to use him this much, but hes a good prospect.

Hey Southy, Im not overly impressed so far with the kid. Im glad that Farrell decided to keep him in the rotation a few times around to give him some consistancy and a fair shot. Ive read all the reviews about how great his stuff is and all, but he is getting his butt whipped. He is just not ready, something is missing. They really need to get him down in the minors and work on things. And for those who forget, Roy Halladay was sent back to the minors more than once before he figured it out!

Halladay

Age 23 W-4 L-7   IP 67.2  H-104  BB-44  ERA-10.64  Whip 2.2   BAA .357

Some times it take a year or two bouncing up and down.

Sections
Shortcuts