Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles

In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Well, then again BV has 3 lefties to set things up too ......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    True, but none of them are true set-up guys the way Bard was. Not saying it's better or worse, just different.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, if you compare Miller, Morales, and Hill right now to Bard in Sept then I'd say Bobby has MORE options than TF did and still BV uses Aceves/his closer more.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Last 13 games - 10-3.....now you have a nice streak to brag about...but we are still 500 and still in the cellar and Rays are next.  So much more work to do.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : A little bit of apples-oranges there, geo. Francona also had Bard as a very effective (until September) set-up guy, so there wasn't as much reason to have Paps go four outs.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree. Plus Aceves is more used to pitching more than an inning at a time. He's done it five times this year. We'll see how many times he does it all season.

And to add, Papelbon went more than an inning five times last year, eight times in 2010 and seven times in 2009. I would bet that's in line with most closers. Heck, the eight and seven times might be more than most closers. So it's sort of a myth that Francona wouldn't bring him in for more than an inning.

And in Philly, Papelbon has yet to throw more than an inning. In fact, he has 16.1 IP in 17 innings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Tomorrow's day off can't come two quick. Twenty games in 20 days was a lot. BP got a couple of breaks in games that the starter went deep but still has pitched a lot of innings. Relievers badly need a day off.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Josh's golf game is suffering.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Great game. I watched the game , but was not on the computer to comment.  I do have two comments now.  1 -Valentine is on a great roll. Just about every move he makes is working out.  Putting Lin in right saved the game.  2 - Aceves is , hands down , the best pitcher on this team. It boggles my mind that you guys want to keep type casting him as a middle reliever. Same as last year.  The guy is either a starter or a closer. He earned the starters job in Spring training , but it was given to Bard. Unfairly , in my opinion.  He took the closer's job and has been great. Now you are looking to take him out of that role , and make him the long reliever again.   Do any of you seriously think a middle reliever is more important than a starter or a closer ?   I can't believe how some of you guys never , ever revise your opinions. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I agree it would be tough (maybe even wrong) to move Aceves out of the closer's role to middle relief.  But what do you do w/ Bailey if he can come back?  Wouldn't Aceves be better suited to go multiple innings in the middle?  And perhaps come into jams and get the big strikeout?  I have no issue w/ keeping Aceves as the closer but if he were to move to middle innings and if Bard were moved back and Bailey was strong then wouldn't that make us a better team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Great game. I watched the game , but was not on the computer to comment.  I do have two comments now.  1 -Valentine is on a great roll. Just about every move he makes is working out.  Putting Lin in right saved the game.  2 - Aceves is , hands down , the best pitcher on this team. It boggles my mind that you guys want to keep type casting him as a middle reliever. Same as last year.  The guy is either a starter or a closer. He earned the starters job in Spring training , but it was given to Bard. Unfairly , in my opinion.  He took the closer's job and has been great. Now you are looking to take him out of that role , and make him the long reliever again.   Do any of you seriously think a middle reliever is more important than a starter or a closer ?   I can't believe how some of you guys never , ever revise your opinions. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Valentine, no matter what real or imagined flaws people assign to him, is a great baseball man.  I have no doubt that the closer job is Alfredo's to lose.  As long as he keeps doing what he is doing, Bailey is set-up man at best when he returns (though there are a few people staking their claims to that as well ... s*$ks to be injured sometimes).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

that may well be true, gale, but would Aceves be stretched out enough at this point to start??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't know enough about Bailey.  Could he be effective in middle relief?  Go multiple innings?  Come into the middle of a jam?  Although perhaps it won't matter if Aceves keeps this up.  I just think that given Aceves is more versatile it's easier to move him.  Either way, it will work out and it will be good thing.  Also, AB has to come back first now so it's kinda moot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Put a faster runner in (Lin) moved Gonz to first.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  Didn't realize Gonzalez moved to first.  Guess I didn't realize you could even do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]that may well be true, gale, but would Aceves be stretched out enough at this point to start??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

i don't think he was suggesting Aceves start.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Aceves has earned the closer spot and all the potential rewards it brings with it.  Bailey can be setup man and backup closer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Aceves was stretched out to start in April. It would not be that hard for him to get back to that. We are only getting five or six innings out of these guys now , anyway. I would keep him in the closer's role until Bailey , Bard or anyone else shows that they can do a better job.  But , middle relief is for middle relief type guys. Aceves is way better than that. Not only does he have great stuff , but he has a fearless attitude that you don't always see in some of the others.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Can't argue w/ you.  The other thing would be to keep Aceves where he is and then allow Bailey to carve out his own role in the middle innings - just like the rest of the crew have. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Put a faster runner in (Lin) moved Gonz to first.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    I see, it was defensive.  I thought it odd to pinch run behind Gonzo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Bailey's not coming back until at least the break. a lot can and probably will happen by then. things have a way of working themselves out and decisions are made for, instead of by, you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Baileys not coming back until at least the break. a lot can and probably will happen by then, things have a way of working themselves out and decisions are made for you.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

yup, it's just nice to have a solid pen

like i said earlier, send down Buck and sign Roy and we can try and make a run over the next 6 weeks - if not, i have my finger right over the button!

Sections
Shortcuts