Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles

All Star RF!!!   A-Gon  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : you're basing your opinion on one play?? September was a total team meltdown, Andrew. my point is, one season does not a career make. i tend to believe the back of a players baseball card. let's give him a chance, huh??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

That's been the argument I've had with Mitch all winter. I agree that he underperformed, and I agree that he lost some mental edge that he needs to get back, and that it directly affected his play. What I don't get is how constantly ripping him (sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly) accomplishes the goal of getting him back on track. I know we as fans are at a distance and can get away with that, but I wonder what we would say to CC if we were talking about this to him face to face? I'm pretty sure I can say I'd tell him the same thing as I've been posting on here. Fall back on your natural abilities, and critics and media be darned. Just go do what you do, and forget about everything else. I've performed as a singer, and that's one of the things that gets me back on track if I ever begin to get nervous. "Just go do what you do."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Not at all.  In fact, I knew you were going to say I was basing it on ONE play.  But if I didn't give you an example, you would have said "give me a specific example"....well, maybe not you but some others would have.....There were many plays last year.  I never felt comfortable with anything in the air his way.  I recall a couple of flys landing in fair down the line in Fenway that he stopped short on.....and he never, I repeat never met a cut-off man he respected....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

again, LF Fenway...virtually no foul ground...CF'er moved to LF. if i recall correctly, yaz wasnt a gold glove out there initially

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Bard at 34 strikes, 34 balls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : again, LF Feway...virtually no foul ground...CF moved to LF. if i recall correctly yaz wasnt a gold glove out there initially
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

CF moved to LF???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Bard at 34 strikes, 34 balls.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Same old Bard and Dance

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : ok - he's been handling the pen very well but managers can't win the award

That was meant as a joke, Andrew

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : That's been the argument I've had with Mitch all winter. I agree that he underperformed, and I agree that he lost some mental edge that he needs to get back, and that it directly affected his play. What I don't get is how constantly ripping him (sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly) accomplishes the goal of getting him back on track. I know we as fans are at a distance and can get away with that, but I wonder what we would say to CC if we were talking about this to him face to face? I'm pretty sure I can say I'd tell him the same thing as I've been posting on here. Fall back on your natural abilities, and critics and media be darned. Just go do what you do, and forget about everything else. I've performed as a singer, and that's one of the things that gets me back on track if I ever begin to get nervous. "Just go do what you do."
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I'm not interested in getting back on track for a .300 OBP.  I am interested in getting him outta here.  If I talked to him in person I would beg for him to retire and if he did, I would promise that The Nation would never storm his house demanding for their money back......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : That was meant as a joke, Andrew
    Posted by upperco1[/QUOTE]

I know you were being light-hearted :)  but just checking I suppose.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

We need last season's Aceves to come in NOW!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : entirely brought on by himself no matter how you look at it

Right, because he's a fierce competitor that wants to WIN in the high pressure environment of Boston and the AL East, not because he's a bum that wants to sit back and collect money for not playing. Albert Pujols is going through the exact same thing now, has he forgotten how to play over the course of a couple months? Any mental breakdowns he may have had are due more to this than anything else. That's why I say he needs to just fall back on his natural abilities and let them enable him to do what he normally does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : CF moved to LF???

didnt he play CF for 10 years in Tampa??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : OK but your standards are still low.  You're not one of those guys who still think that Clay starts this year do not qualify as a "valid sample size" are you?

Totally different. While I am on the fence about what to do with Buchholz, based on his performance this year alone, I say Pretty Darn Bad.  But, by the same standard, I see what Nava has done, now for enough at-bats to make my conclusion, as Solid, Professional.  And I am extrapolating forward to say that he will continue to be Solid, Professional.  Because he looks very different than he did in his first cup o' coffee.  He is much improved.  Hard work pays off sometimes.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]We need last season's Aceves to come in NOW!!
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Yes, and once Bard goes back to where he belongs and Andrew "DL" Bailey comes back you'll have him there.  Until then, in the words of Theo Epstein - "ENJOY YOUR CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Time to groove a 92 mph fastball down the center lane of the pike!  Make sure there's no movement either!

Bard is not being well coached!  They're telling him to notch it way back for durability through the season!

Are you F'n kidding me!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : didnt he play CF for 10 years in Tampa??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

That's a NEGATIVE

(Rocco was the CF'er)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He now has 29 BB in 45 inns, that blows.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Right, because he's a fierce competitor that wants to WIN in the high pressure environment of Boston and the AL East, not because he's a bum that wants to sit back and collect money for not playing. Albert Pujols is going through the exact same thing now, has he forgotten how to play over the course of a couple months? Any mental breakdowns he may have had are due more to this than anything else. That's why I say he needs to just fall back on his natural abilities and let them enable him to do what he normally does.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

which is why they have sports psychologist

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : Totally different. While I am on the fence about what to do with Buchholz, based on his performance this year alone, I say Pretty Darn Bad.  But, by the same standard, I see what Nava has done, now for enough at-bats to make my conclusion, as Solid, Professional.  And I am extrapolating forward to say that he will continue to be Solid, Professional.  Because he looks very different than he did in his first cup o' coffee.  He is much improved.  Hard work pays off sometimes.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

That's fair.  You are using your eyes.  I am just saying because some people don't understand what samples are or when they do, are hypocritical of them.  I am not saying you are one of them.  I was just asking.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]He now has 29 BB in 45 inns, that blows.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

I can tell you this.  If I had a 98 MPH Heater I would not be nibbling with off speed stuff!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Bard with another lollipop throw to first.  Almost didn't get there in time.  Just plain scary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : I'm not interested in getting back on track for a .300 OBP.  I am interested in getting him outta here.  If I talked to him in person I would beg for him to retire and if he did, I would promise that The Nation would never storm his house demanding for their money back......

LOL, coming from you Mitch that's quite a concession! Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday Afternoon Game Thread: Red Sox at Orioles : which is why they have sports psychologist
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Me no believe in head shinkers.  Me say "grow a pair"!!!!!!!!