WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/05/20/jarrod-saltalamacchia-the-sluggingest-catcher-in-the-american-league/

Pretty interesting article on WEEI.com today.

What do you think?  Is he the best?

Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?

We are a society that spends too much time "caught up in the moment."

The guy has a good weekend and he's "AL's best catcher."
    A week ago I posted a thread about Salty and Gonzo and why they shouldn't be dumped on so much.

It seems many of the fickle fan and media types were shipping Saltalamacchia off just about a week to 10 days ago.

Will you people please make up your minds?....either love a player or hate him, don't keep waffling with every 0-4 day followed by a 3-4 day!!!

It makes 'Red Sox Nation' look like 'Bandwagon Nation'...which , as I've said before, is really what it should be called. Does the membership card come with a reverse side that says "Go --insert new team name here--.?"...I mean just in case things go bad?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

zilla, i've been calling Sox fans bandwagoners for years. We are the worst collectively of any fan in America. In the 1970s/80s and even the 90s/early 2000s I felt that Sox fans were the brightest and most loyal fans out there. Now, in these forums, it's clear as day....bandwagoning nation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?:
    zilla, i've been calling Sox fans bandwagoners for years. We are the worst collectively of any fan in America. In the 1970s/80s and even the 90s/early 2000s I felt that Sox fans were the brightest and most loyal fans out there. Now, in these forums, it's clear as day....bandwagoning nation.
    Posted by dannycater

Danny.....this is fed by the Boston media....most of which are just dying to write something negative or controversial about the player/team. Thes ridiculous statments are the read and repeated by too many fans who dont follow the team closely or do not remeber the history of this franchise. As a Sox fan, in Yankee country who reads the Boston and NY papers, even the Mets dont get as many negative articles as the Sox do in the Boston papers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Posted by dannycater

Worst collectively?  What is this actually based on?  It is an impossible assessment to make since most teams don't have the passionate fans the sox have.  I can see why the sox fans in the 70s/80s/90s/2000s were loyal.  Hardly any fans at that time had ever seen the sox win a world series so of course the fans that were left were loyal to the team and not just following the winner.  That all changed in 2004.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by dannycater

I don't feel the majority of us are like that.

You, me and many of the regulars who have posted here through good and bad, we might get disgusted but we don't start calling the newest sensation a HALL OF FAMER, we don't want to dump a guy after an 0 for 4 night.

When we were just plain Red Sox fans , it was different. Now that the team has tasted victory and we have a "nation", it has become very apparent that many of the card carrying, pennant waving (pink hats?) are "wafflers" caught up with retiring a  guys number when he has a great weekend or trading him to the West Coast when he has a bad week.

You don't judge players day to day. As Francona always said, it's a marathon not a sprint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

He's hitting the ball better but he still a defensive hack.
    It's so funny to see the same people who praise a mediocre player as an AS when they have a few good games, and in the same breath, criticize a future HOFer for not hitting enough HRs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Saltalamacchia is way, way better than Yogi Berra or Johnny Bench.  I mean, look at the facts.  Yesterday he hit a 3 run dinger to deep centerfield against the Phillies.  Did either of them do that?  Look, I know Yogi caught that WS perfect game, but that was all Don Larsen.  And all those clutch hits he got and AL MVP awards? He was just lucky to be part of a great lineup.   If he didn't play last weekend for the Red Sox, he's really not worth considering.  Same for Bench. 

WEEI is a fountain of silly opinions and uninsightful insights.  Weren't they the ones who thought Beckett playing golf on an off day was worse than the Black Sox scandal and certainly needed to be reported as much? 

So far, Salty is looking just fine and a heckuva good gamble from before last season when Theo picked him up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Posted by dannycater

Wow!  I can handle Sox fans venting, but this self aggrandizing BS is so transparent.

Sox fans are so fickle, blah blah blah........

We are Decartian creatures, we Sox fans! We b i t c h therefore we are!

Get over it!!!!!  First, GET OVER YOURSELF!

Without rabid Sox fans (YES!  WE come from long lines of over reactors), who bleed over ever play, we don't have 2004 & 2007 WS Championships!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

He's hitting the ball better but he still a defensive hack. It's so funny to see the same people who praise a mediocre player as an AS when they have a few good games, and in the same breath, criticize a future HOFer for not hitting enough HRs.
    Posted by harv53

From what I observe, I would say that Salty has left the "defensive hack" label behind.  no, he hasn't thrown that many runners out this year, but he got up above 30% last year, after a miserable start.  That is not earth-shaking, but not bad.  And, to me, he looks actually pretty good blocking balls in the dirt this year, something he looked clumsy with last year.  I thought of him as a defensive liability last year.  But, I think, if you can let go of past perceptions, you might notice significant growth defensively.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Saltalamacchia is way, way better than Yogi Berra or Johnny Bench.  I mean, look at the facts.  Yesterday he hit a 3 run dinger to deep centerfield against the Phillies.  Did either of them do that?  Look, I know Yogi caught that WS perfect game, but that was all Don Larsen.  And all those clutch hits he got and AL MVP awards? He was just lucky to be part of a great lineup.   If he didn't play last weekend for the Red Sox, he's really not worth considering.  Same for Bench.  WEEI is a fountain of silly opinions and uninsightful insights.  Weren't they the ones who thought Beckett playing golf on an off day was worse than the Black Sox scandal and certainly needed to be reported as much?  So far, Salty is looking just fine and a heckuva good gamble from before last season when Theo picked him up. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Good point, but on the other hand, I can't remember the last time Berra or Bench had a passed ball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Lol, he had a good weekend so now he's better than Joe Mauer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Salty has definitely picked up his game and that's great to see.  Too early to get giddy about it but progress is always good.  Part of the increased offense is attributable to the less ABs vLHP but not all of it.  What I find disturbing is that even some of the better posters in this community suddenly found that Salty went from horrible D to good D ... just when he started to crush the ball.  

I've never seen so many people change how they feel about a player's defensive abilities over a 10 day stretch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In response to "Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?":
    Lol, he had a good weekend so now he's better than Joe Mauer. Posted by stan17
    Joe Mauer is injury prone and hasn't been good in almost 3 years. Quite frankly, he's overrated. Right now Salty is better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Yeah, Mauer has a sweet swing and a great arm but he's hit 2 HR since Target Field opened.

Wieters has to be considered the best though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

We are a society that spends too much time "caught up in the moment." The guy has a good weekend and he's "AL's best catcher." A week ago I posted a thread about Salty and Gonzo and why they shouldn't be dumped on so much. It seems many of the fickle fan and media types were shipping Saltalamacchia off just about a week to 10 days ago. Will you people please make up your minds?....either love a player or hate him, don't keep waffling with every 0-4 day followed by a 3-4 day!!! It makes 'Red Sox Nation' look like 'Bandwagon Nation'...which , as I've said before, is really what it should be called. Does the membership card come with a reverse side that says "Go -- insert new team name here--. ?"...I mean just in case things go bad?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

rather than BITCHHH, tell me who's BETTER?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to "Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?": Joe Mauer is injury prone and hasn't been good in almost 3 years. Quite frankly, he's overrated. Right now Salty is better.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

3 gold gloves,1 MVP award and 3 batting titles from a catcher, right he's overrated. Salty has been doing well lately, I hope it keeps up. So far this yr Joe has 1 HR, Salty 7, both have 19 rbi's, Joe 24 BB, Salty 4, Joe ahead in both AVG & OBP. Mauer is a superior fielder compared to Salty, it's not even comparable. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?:
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/05/20/jarrod-saltalamacchia-the-sluggingest-catcher-in-the-american-league/ Pretty interesting article on WEEI.com today. What do you think?  Is he the best? Thoughts?

Yeah - and Aviles will be the starting AL All-Star shortstop.

You truly are at genius level.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher? : rather than BITCHHH, tell me who's BETTER?
    Posted by CAPITALIST_AVENGER

We are a month and a half into the season. This is a small sample size for any serious comparisons.

I will say that I see Saltalmacchia every game since he's been a Red Sox and I 've always liked him. I like his desire, I like his progression and I like his attitude.

But, simply liking the guy and the fact that he's on our team doesn't automatically catapult this guy into "AL'S BEST CATCHER." He has all the potential in the world to get there, he has a little more experience than Wieters, but right now, I have to say Wieters has the talent and overall projects to be the better all around catcher.

Okay, so is that good enough for you?...I mean before I start bitchin' about something else, I'd like to clarify that my "bitchin'" was not against whether Salty IS actually the best catcher, but that Red Sox Nation had him as trash only a few days back...now they want him in the All Star Game!

I was "bitchin'" more about the "waffling" and fickle attitude of the fans and media, than about whether this statement is true or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher?:
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/05/20/jarrod-saltalamacchia-the-sluggingest-catcher-in-the-american-league/ Pretty interesting article on WEEI.com today. What do you think?  Is he the best? Thoughts?

No, hes not the best, but has improved his game i most areas..Beckett now feels comfortable with his D enough to make a comment on it...The way the kid was thrusted into MLB without the proper seasoning, it doesnt surprise me that its taken til age 27 and some stability with one team to really start improving his game...When i think of best catchers, the names Weiters and mauer come to mind first..With that said, i like what im seeing from Salty..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher? : 3 gold gloves,1 MVP award and 3 batting titles from a catcher, right he's overrated. Salty has been doing well lately, I hope it keeps up. So far this yr Joe has 1 HR, Salty 7, both have 19 rbi's, Joe 24 BB, Salty 4, Joe ahead in both AVG & OBP. Mauer is a superior fielder compared to Salty, it's not even comparable. 
    Posted by stan17

'11 + '12   TPA    HR    XBH     OPS      oWAR     dWAR

Salty          496     23     59       .770        2.2           -.2
    Mauer         505     4      31       .752        2.3            .3        

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher? : From what I observe, I would say that Salty has left the "defensive hack" label behind.  no, he hasn't thrown that many runners out this year, but he got up above 30% last year, after a miserable start.  That is not earth-shaking, but not bad.  And, to me, he looks actually pretty good blocking balls in the dirt this year, something he looked clumsy with last year.  I thought of him as a defensive liability last year.  But, I think, if you can let go of past perceptions, you might notice significant growth defensively.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Agreed, Space.  I would rate Salty's D as below average.  A C-.  Calling him "Bad" is an overstatement.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher? : '11 + '12   TPA    HR    XBH     OPS      oWAR     dWAR Salty          496     23     59       .770        2.2           -.2 Mauer         505     4      31       .752        2.3            .3        
    Posted by tom-uk

The Sox as a team batted .280 last yr the Twins .247, Sox OBP was also 40 points higher. Salty batted .235 in that lineup. Again I like Salty and he's playing well right now and I hope he becomes a great player but for people to think he's better than Mauer is delusional.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: Is Salty AL's best catcher? : The Sox as a team batted .280 last yr the Twins .247, Sox OBP was also 40 points higher. Salty batted .235 in that lineup. Again I like Salty and he's playing well right now and I hope he becomes a great player but for people to think he's better than Mauer is delusional.
    Posted by stan17

Salty has been the better hitter for about a year, that is not long enough to draw conclusions.  It is surprising though.

Defensively Salty may come on, but a large edge would have to go to Mauer.

That being said:

5 of 7 Salty homers would be out of 28 to 30 MLB parks, and all 7 would be out of Target field.   (Plus  all 17 last year (a couple are on edge)) 

Sections
Shortcuts