WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?

In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree? : Ike.  Ike.  You contradict yourself.  You have criticized Ben for being subject to Larry Lar's decision-making.  Now he is too prideful to seek advice in making deals?  Which is it?   And, you think he screwed up his 'only real concern' by signing not one, but two, potential young stud closers who will be under club control for a good while for relatively cheap ... and then say that it doesn;t matter anyway because closer is hooey?  (I happen to agree that it is overrated).  Which is it?  Your statements reflect a serious hard-on to criticize our young GM.  fine.  Easy target.  He has no body of work to give him any cache.  But, you are just looking for any straw to grasp at.  And, if you think you know something that a guy who has been in the inner circle of baseball front offices going back to the nineties, I gotta say Ike, I seriously doubt it.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You are right, I know nothing about him, but I do know about people, 25 years in the service give one a great perspective and a young executive is not much different than a young officer trying to prove himself, making mistakes along the way.
    But the military has it right because they teach these college educated whipper-snappers to learn from and trust their senior enlisted. I would just hope that Ben is listening to Bobby. Wisdom comes with age.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?

Doesn't he get a strike for how Lucchino showed him who's was bigger when he forced Bobby V. on him?

Cher is a GM in training.  He's there to make sure lunch gets delivered on time when the adults get together to discuss the team.

And as far as compensation for Theo, why?  They wanted him gone.  He wanted to be gone.  And how do you blame young Ben for negotiating the compensation when he had no position to negotiate from?  What was he going to do, threaten to rescind letting Theo go to the Cubs, essentially making Theo the GM of the Red Sox and firing himself?

If the compensation frm the Cubs was bad, then blame (Lucchino) whoever allowed the Cubs to talk to Theo before the compensation was worked out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree? : The term 'bean counting' is also horrific.  Steering every discussion to one's own worn out soap box issues is also horrific.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I also like how maximizing club control on the best young players, and thus building the strongest foundation for the club's future, is 'bean counting'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Nha, he is taken over a shiking ship Theo left crashed and left behind. Be will be fine, just give him some time 
    Posted by proftom2[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd call it a sinking ship but it was definitely taking on some water.  Totally agree with the general premise though, even beginning to evaluate Cherington at this point is non sense.  His job this offseason was to try and patch some holes on the cheap and he did that.  I won't blame him for Bailey getting hurt.  Getting rid of Reddick was more or less necessary anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He picked up an often injured pitcher who was injured the first week of Spring Training. I do not like Bailey he has been injured more in his career than he is on the field, the guy is plain out brittle as kindling. They brought him along real slow and he got injured in a collision. As far as Carpenter, the Red Sox should have looked into the medical records. That was a bad move on Cherrington and the Medical Staff and that happened on Young Ben's watch so he takes the hit on that one. Luchinno and Henry should have never let the Boy Genius out until they agreed on compensation. There is no way that the Cubs would have waited another year to get the Boy Genus with the dysfunctional Front Office they have. The Red Sox could have gotten a better player for the Boy Genus, maybe even Garza if they had held their leverage. Bad move on Henry and Luchinno.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if the Red Sox will refund the money that I paid for season tickets. I only bought them because the Sox had gotten Andrew Bailey. Now that he will be out for the majority of, if not the entire, season, I feel that I am entitled to a refund - or at least a rebate.
    Posted by vonhanep[/QUOTE]

I don't think any team has to put a disclaimer on the tickets to say that they guarantee a winner or that they even guarantee the team won't go 0-162.

If you bought tickets based on the Sox acquiring Andrew Bailey....this is your problem.

You buy tickets months in advance for the Daytona 500 or the Indianapolis 500 , If your favorite driver doesn't qualify good luck trying to get a refund. It doesn't work that way. You pay for the tickets to watch an event , not because you want to "have it your way."

Next time just go to Burger King/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree? : You are right, I know nothing about him, but I do know about people, 25 years in the service give one a great perspective and a young executive is not much different than a young officer trying to prove himself, making mistakes along the way. But the military has it right because they teach these college educated whipper-snappers to learn from and trust their senior enlisted. I would just hope that Ben is listening to Bobby. Wisdom comes with age. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] 25 years in the service is irrelevant to this topic. GMs are a breed apart and can be good young or old. In the service the GMs are all 45 and older. If Ben struggles, which he might, it will be because he doesn't have it to be a GM, not because he is inexperienced.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if the Red Sox will refund the money that I paid for season tickets. I only bought them because the Sox had gotten Andrew Bailey. Now that he will be out for the majority of, if not the entire, season, I feel that I am entitled to a refund - or at least a rebate.
    Posted by vonhanep[/QUOTE]

You really bought season tickets based on Andrew Bailey?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]And here they come. Defending the indefensible....again! This story is spot on. Maybe Cherington will learn to become a GM one day, but for a big-market team like Boston, we need someone with some experience under their belt. I'll bet signing Ross wasn't even his idea!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

How the heck is it Cherington's fault for firing his boss?  This was Larry's decision.

Explain to me what you think his options were?

"Theo, if you don't give me more compensation, I'll fire myself and re-hire you."?

Sorry, that is beyond bizarre.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

The Theo compensation deal is all on Henry/Lucchino...they had the leverage to keep theo there until they were properly compensated...the fact that they let him walk and sign with the Cubs w/o a deal was just plain stupid...that is not Ben's fault.

Cody Ross we all agree seems to be a very good move. I hope looks arent decieving but my man Space is never hardly ever wrong!

The Bailey thing will be his fault. He let Paps walk (and I woulve too) but he had Bard there to take his place....instead he put Bard in the rotation and now with bailey hurt, we could be pretty weak in the closer position, and if Bard doesnt come thru....

The Scutaro thing was dumb imho...to send down Iggy to start Aviles might be the second dumbest move I heard after the Cameron in CF nonsense...I jumped on that on Day 1 and was totally vindicated and I think this one is a no brainer as well - like I said before, you dont replace one journeyman SS for another with the same range, bat, and even less experience at the position...

Forcing Lavarnay and Iggy to go down to maximize their contract control is dumb as well...ive said enough about this yesterday but it seems bizarre in this division to not put those players on the roster who are going to be needed to win...sorry but that aint Aviles at SS and Shoppach at Catcher

so right now I am giving him a C-...if Aviles/Melacon come through that at least a B....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I will admit while it is still early, cherington has not looked good so far. Yes i will admit i was happy the sox got bailey. Apparently the thumb injury occured when he was covering first base and colided with another player. (unlucky no doubt). The theo situation was a disaster without question. Minihane was right that the sox should have got way more than they did and on top of it all the player the did get is already injured. If the situation had been handled correctly the sox should have got one of the cubs top prospects or at least someone in their top 5. Not there 22nd ranked prospect. Also, perhaps what might end up being cheringtons biggest blunder was not trading for or signing a starting pitcher. Bard should not be starting and should be filling in for bailey as interm closer, not attemping to make it as a starter. The sox fo needs to learn from past failures and realize that the way this team is built is identical to last years in that pitching will be an issue again. As it stands right now the sox bullpen is a joke. aceves is the closer, melancon set up, and then no stability from there. Bailey is injured, jenks (who would have been the guy to step in with bailey hurt) is coming back from injury, and we have no reliable lefties. (mike gonzalez is still out there, we should sign him). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]posted by Kirk Minihane/WEEI: Ben Cherington is off to a lousy start. Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion folks but ....

Ben had more experience with the Boston Red Sox than "Boy genuis" did before being appointed GM.  He may not have two WC's but Theo certainly doesn't get sole credit for them either.  People should at least allow Ben time to crawl out of the financial hole Theo left him in before making final judgement.  

The Theo compensation was also blown out of proportion.  Lucchino and Henry were probably not going to re-sign him anyway after everything that has gone down since 2007.  Success in many cases can be very "short lived" as I think both Theo and Tito will learn over the next few years. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ahhhh! It's the "let 'em eat cake" argument! ROFL!! Remember how well that went over. Are you really so anti fan, that you don't see why Red Sox fans want a product that can actually succeed on the field? Don't the highest ticket prices in baseball, the enormous TV and radio revenues,etc., entitle them to that? Guarantees? None but death, taxes, and then death taxes. But surely you aren't so disdainful of the fans that you would spit on their desire for another ring? Can't you allow them to vent when things don't go well? It's overflowing from the same passionate well that their massive cheering/support comes from. They've earned the right to express their opinions IMO.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEI Kirk Minihane:Terrible start to Ben Cherington era-2 strikes already! Do you agree? : I don't think any team has to put a disclaimer on the tickets to say that they guarantee a winner or that they even guarantee the team won't go 0-162. If you bought tickets based on the Sox acquiring Andrew Bailey....this is your problem. You buy tickets months in advance for the Daytona 500 or the Indianapolis 500 , If your favorite driver doesn't qualify good luck trying to get a refund. It doesn't work that way. You pay for the tickets to watch an event , not because you want to "have it your way." Next time just go to Burger King/
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]