WEEI's Alex Speier comments on Red Sox 'gamble up the middle' if they don't re-sign Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: WEEI's Alex Speier comments on Red Sox 'gamble up the middle' if they don't re-sign Drew

Yeah, he did "better"... better than his terrible start, but he still lost his job to a guy who hit .250 in the regular season and had just about no 3B experience (Bogey).

This was after already losing his job to another guy who never played 3B before (Iggy).

I keep hearing how much better he did after returning from his demotion, but clearly it wasn't good enough to even get Farrell to sit Drew vs LHPs.

Yes, he hit .276 with an .805 OPS his last 41 games, but he hit .227/.696 his last 83 PAs, .195/.580 his last 42 PAs, and .158/.632 his last 19 PAs of the regular season. He then hit .160 with a .490 OPS in 28 post season PAs. These are small sample sizes, but when you factor in the poor fielding in 2013, there is no way Middy can be viewed as a sure bet solid 3Bman for 2014.

I'm glad we have Cecchini on the quick rise.

[/QUOTE]

To say that Middlebrooks has been a streaky hitter is an understatement. Who's had his ups and downs in the field, but he's not a butcher with the glove either.While I would agree that he's not a sure bet to be our everyday 3B. Likely won't be if the Sox resign Drew. I don't have a problem with the Sox opening the season with him at the hot corner.

I don't either, but I wish we had a guy like B Ryan as our back-up SS, just in case. Maybe I am underestimating Herrera's skillset, but with JBJ taking over for Ellsbury and only Victorino as his back-up, and Bogey taking over for Drew, one more big question mark just adds to the list of things that all need to go right for us to seriously compete for another ring.

I like our team now as constructed. I'd look to move Dempster to allow more flex to add a piece or two later, but our team is starong, balanced, and deep.

I view Middlebrook's situation in 2014 much like Reddick's in 2011 where Josh was given the opportunity to once and for all lay claim to the everyday RF job, while he proved himself worthy with the glove, was deamed expendable because he never fully embraced the Red Sox hitting phylosophies and was then traded to Oakland. The parallel's are similar in terms of both of them being free swingers that lack plate discipline and command of the strike zone. Which is at the heart of why both have such large swings in productiion from month to month and less than strikeout to walk ratios....It is the the raw power and bat speed that both posses that'll keep them in contention to make a big league club, if either of them can find some consistentcy and prolong the peaks and work thier way out of slumps in more timely manner thus minimizing the valleys both can and will be very productive major league players..."when they're hot their hot, and when they're not, they're...in a word....bad. 

Mike Napoli is why you don't give up on a kid like Middlebrooks. Willy Mo Pena is why you stay guarded and ensure that you have a contingency in place if falis to show improvement...

I may be one of the few posters who doesn't mind streaky hitters as long as their overall numbers come out plus. I'm worried that pitchers have learned how to pitch to Middy. I just hope he can adjust accordingly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: WEEI's Alex Speier comments on Red Sox 'gamble up the middle' if they don't re-sign Drew

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure BenC knows exactly what he and John F are looking for. I felt the guy we should have signed was Ryan as the infield super guy.

MLBTR suggests the Sox have an interest in Denorfia, a Bristol, CT native currently with the Padres. He plays all OF positions, has some speed and comparable pop to Ells. RH bat.

Now with Gomes, Carp and Nava--you have a L,R and S hitter option---I could foresee Nava being dealt for Denorfia just in case JBJ has problems or ShaVic has injury issues. This guy is a proven commodity.

I could foresee WMB going someplace without much pressure like Houston for prospects. If he is going to get on track anyplace that might be the place--close to home---lots of young players. As Moon suggested we have the luxury of having Cecch in the wings. The one thing Cecch can do is hit and he won't hurt us in the field. He will be a doubles machine for the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

I liked B Ryan as well, but I'd hold onto Nava and look to deal Gomes or Carp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we have Cecchini on the quick rise.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Checchini would be much better unless he really works on his play at 3B.  The kid can hit but his defenses is pretty darn bad.

Well, Middy looked pretty bad in 2013 as well, and at least Garin will get on base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

What is fun about this whole discussion is that Ben is willing to hang Boras out to dry. There is no urgency to re-sign Drew, but I would prefer it. Can't see a MLB team willing to give Drew 3/30. Not necessarily the real numbers, but Sox look good either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Last year I was worried that Middy would get a little complacent when just handed the 3b job. It seemed he did just that, also got injured again and had a terrible approach at the plate. He thought his job was to hit doubles and balls over the fence. He certainly learned a lot about himself and the game last year.

The one thing Ive always liked about Will was his swing. It reminds me so much of Jason Bays swing. hands quick through the zone and the power to take the ball 420 feet the other way. I truly believe he will have a great year if he takes the ball the other way and not try to pull and crush everything. The Sox will give him plenty of time to prove himself. Xander can be stored in AAA for a couple months. Right now is more make or break for Middy, so he NEEDS to play consistently in MLB. Bogey has some time at 21yo.

Id be just fine if they went with WMB at 3b and Xander at SS to start the year. But if they do take Drew for 1 more year, I think it will give us a solid SS player, allow Middy to do his thing, as well as let Xander gets some more AAA ab's and work more on his D. Either way the Sox decide to go is understandable and I wouldnt have one issue with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This OP pretty much mirrors what I've been saying for some time.  That this team is unproven "up the middle".  It's why I wanted to keep Iggy, it's why I want to sign Drew, and it's why I wanted Ellsbury to take a hometown discount and sign with the Sox. 

As things currently stand (without Drew) I see the 2014 team as being slightly stronger defensively in CF but not nearly as strong offensively in that position.  I also see the team as being slightly stronger offensively at SS but not as solid on defense.

The thing that concerns me is that both of those guys are rookies.  Bogarts has played HOW MANY (ML) games at SS?  And JBJ has HOW MANY (ML) starts in CF?  We've got a lot of eggs in those two baskets.  More than I'm comfortable with. 

I'd be willing to go with ONE of them but not both - and since the most viable option now is to sign Drew, I'm all for it!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Nice to have a veteran available. Tough situation, want the kids 2 play but if one fails, nice 2 have Drew around. Of course if he sits a lot that is a possible problem and a lot of money. So, at least don't give him a no trade deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year I was worried that Middy would get a little complacent when just handed the 3b job. It seemed he did just that, also got injured again and had a terrible approach at the plate. He thought his job was to hit doubles and balls over the fence. He certainly learned a lot about himself and the game last year.

The one thing Ive always liked about Will was his swing. It reminds me so much of Jason Bays swing. hands quick through the zone and the power to take the ball 420 feet the other way. I truly believe he will have a great year if he takes the ball the other way and not try to pull and crush everything. The Sox will give him plenty of time to prove himself. Xander can be stored in AAA for a couple months. Right now is more make or break for Middy, so he NEEDS to play consistently in MLB. Bogey has some time at 21yo.

Id be just fine if they went with WMB at 3b and Xander at SS to start the year. But if they do take Drew for 1 more year, I think it will give us a solid SS player, allow Middy to do his thing, as well as let Xander gets some more AAA ab's and work more on his D. Either way the Sox decide to go is understandable and I wouldnt have one issue with it.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Also, Bogey could work on playing 3B in AAA as well, just in case we need him there. It was pretty scary just throwing him out there in the playoffs with basically no experience. 3B is not an easy position to learn on the fly, especially in a World Series!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

paw leave me a pm in chatzy, so I can send you one

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I would prefer to sign/trade for a CF as I am not high on JBJ at all, but as others have said, if Drew is the guy to get "cheap" then go for it.  I still think Dodgers will have to dump one of their OF before the year starts as well.  Either Eithier or Kemp will be gone, as no one will take crawford with his recent history and contract either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would prefer to sign/trade for a CF as I am not high on JBJ at all, but as others have said, if Drew is the guy to get "cheap" then go for it.  I still think Dodgers will have to dump one of their OF before the year starts as well.  Either Eithier or Kemp will be gone, as no one will take crawford with his recent history and contract either.

[/QUOTE]

MLBTR says we are still interested in Denorfia:

The RangersRed Sox and Rockies are three of "at least a half-dozen teams" who have asked the Padres about Chris Denorfia

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts