WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz

In reaction to an expletive filled public rant yesterday, they say local media and fans "always give him a pass", and claim Tito always was masterful at "covering up" for him. Also, they quote an anonymous MLB executive, who called him "The Lindsay Lohan of Baseball".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz

I take anything Mut & Merloni say with a grain of salt....and a shot of tequila.

Fellow UCONN alum, but not sure how Mut got that job. Painful to listen to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

an anonymouse MLB executive as in the Enquirer? players images do not always represent who they are. good and bad. it is a perception, not reality. However,
    to me, this isn't any more indicative of who Ortiz is, as was the Posada incident. players have bad days like eveyone else.

as far as Merloni, he never met a microphone he didn't like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz:
    an anonymouse mlb executive as in the Enquirer? players images do not always represent them as they really are. good and bad. it is a perception, not reality. to me, this isn't any more indicitive of how Ortiz is, as was the Posada incident . players have bad days like eveyone else. as far as Merloni, he never met a microphone he didn't like.
    Posted by J-BAY

Except Posada's known to be a bonehead. Otherwise you have a point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Is this what they were talking about?

http://soxblog.projo.com/2011/08/video-ortiz-bur.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The local media and fans always give him a pass because he is DAVID FREAKIN' ORTIZ!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz:
    In reaction to an expletive filled public rant yesterday, they say local media and fans "always give him a pass", and claim Tito always was masterful at "covering up" for him. Also, they quote an anonymous MLB executive, who called him "The Lindsay Lohan of Baseball" .
    Posted by nhsteven
    I was listen to that on Tune-In radio on my iPhone this morning.

You must have not followed them too closely because the Lindsay Lohan quote was about A-Rod. The context it came up in the conversation was that A-Rod would never have gotten a free pass over something like that if he did it during one of Joe Giardi's pressers.

Big market much to do about nothing much. It does seem like it was a rude thing to do rather than holding court at his locker.

He happens to be right that the official scorer blew that call but the way he handled it was really stupid and rude. Much to the chagrin of the boys over at WEEI I am sure that Terry will handle this inhouse and we will not hear much more about this. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

If Ortiz pulls himself out of the line-up tonight because he doesn't like where he is in the batting order, we will have an Posada episode.

This is different. In some ways worse (Ortiz was rude) but in some ways much less (he did not refuse to play).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is Ortiz barking at his manager over a scorer's decision???? wth???? what is Tito supposed to do, file a protest on his behalf....i guess being a folk hero is all about winning - i still remember the excuses Papi made for Manny's assault on a sox employee and also his failed drug tests...Ortiz never has been one of my faves (i just dont love DH's) and the more i hear from him, off the cuff or on the record, the less i am impressed...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Papi will always get a free pass in Boston because when it comes down to it, he's a great hitter, he helped win us 2 championships, has consistently been CLUTCH in the playoffs, and is overall a great guy who takes the time out of his life to give back to Boston in many different ways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is all just opinion here Georom but Ortiz really wasn't barking at Francona, he was playing to the cameras in the room.

Just the same it is as rude as it gets to do that but the spin that the WEEI guys had that this was Ortiz showing up his manager is only partially true. IMO he had no beef with Francona, he wanted the audience that Francona had and that in itself is disrespectful.

Considering it was over a single RBI being counted on his stat sheet it makes Ortiz look like a narcissistic tool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I thought it was really funny, including Tito's reaction...Ortiz often is playing around, and even if he was mad it came off funny...what an overreaction by even starting this thread. As for free passes, NO ONE GAVE HIM A FREE PASS DURING HIS HORRIFIC FIRST HALF SLUMP LAST YEAR..then when he torched the AL in the second half, and only a few people wanted to "apologize" for wanting him gone after he had done his torching. I even started giving up on him, but he has impressed me more in the last year and a half than at any time in his Sox career. He's proven he doesn't need Manny to protect him in the lineup, and he's proven he can still hit the big bombs, and fight the shifts. I appreciate Ortiz more now than ever. He's a good guy essentially, and he says what is on his mind. More players should do that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

why is Ortiz barking at his manager over a scorer's decision???? wth???? what is Tito supposed to do, file a protest on his behalf....i guess being a folk hero is all about winning - i still remember the excuses Papi made for Manny's assault on a sox employee and also his failed drug tests...Ortiz never has been one of my faves (i just dont love DH's) and the more i hear from him, off the cuff or on the record, the less i am impressed...

Posted by georom4

I agree

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz : I was listen to that on Tune-In radio on my iPhone this morning. You must have not followed them too closely because the Lindsay Lohan quote was about A-Rod. The context it came up in the conversation was that A-Rod would never have gotten a free pass over something like that if he did it during one of Joe Giardi's pressers. Big market much to do about nothing much. It does seem like it was a rude thing to do rather than holding court at his locker. He happens to be right that the official scorer blew that call but the way he handled it was really stupid and rude. Much to the chagrin of the boys over at WEEI I am sure that Terry will handle this inhouse and we will not hear much more about this. 
    Posted by fivekatz

Since you're rarely wrong, I checked and realized I was mistaken. My bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI's Mut & Merloni All Over Ortiz : Since you're rarely wrong, I checked and realized I was mistaken. My bad.
    Posted by nhsteven
    Hey it is easy to get lost in some of the babble that goes on during a WEEI talk fest and lose context. WEEI because they caught the rant on video seems to be more focused on it than anybody else in the local media is. Go figure. WEEI trying make controversy?

As for A-Rod it seems everybody but Mikey Adams (who I think secretly played the part of Angry Bill in the 2003 movie Still We Believe) thinks that the A-Rod gaming thing is over blown.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

5k...your theory sounds as good as any I have heard..just plain weird that papi would choose to do that for any reason - joking or not

Sections
Shortcuts