Weiland kills us Aceves shines

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Weiland kills us Aceves shines

Thats how many times now?  Aceves is better than Lackey, Wake, Weiland and Miller, yet some moron in the FO still has Weiiland starting.  Management is beating our team to death.  Even the announcers are asking why we don't start the veteran Aceves, how many clues does management need?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines

Probably don't have Aceves for game 2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines:
    [QUOTE]Probably don't have Aceves for game 2.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

jessey, this is the worst decision making I have seen since the Theo/Francona ERA began.  David also got robbed which didn't help.  If you got to watch the game his "called foul ball" was a fair by almost two feet on replay.

I think its great they feel highly of Weiland but when has a rookie ever been given this many starts during a pennant race the way hes pitching?  Three losses against the O's should also be a sign hes not ready.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

GOTTA AGREE WITH THE POSTERS WHO DIDN'T WANT TO SEE
    WEILAND START. THIS GUY HAS BOMBED IN ALL OF HIS STARTS
    YET THE BRAIN TRUST KEEPS ON USING HIM. HE IS AS BAD OR
    WORSE THAN WAKEFIELD. THEO AND FRANCONA DESERVE TO BE
    FIRED WHEN THE SEASON ENDS, BUT WHOEVER IS REALLY
    PULLING THE STRINGS DOESN'T HAVE THE GUTS TO DO THE
    RIGHT THING. EVEN DOUBRONT MIGHT HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN
    WEILAND. LOOK AT WEILAND'S TRACK RECORD. HE GAVE UP
    A TON OF RUNS IN ALL OF HIS STARTS AND PUT THE TEAM DOWN
    BY PLENTY, AND YET THE MANAGER STARTS HIM. WAKEFIELD IS
    WORSE. THE SELFISH FRANCONA, WHO IS WAKE'S BUDDY,DOESN'T
    CARE ABOUT THE TEAM....HE JUST WANTS TO SEE TIMMY GET 200.
    SO WHAT DOES TIMMY DO....HE SETS THE TEAM BACK BY LOSING
    ABOUT 4 OR 5 STARTS. NO PROBLEM....SAYS TERRY. IT WILL BE
    A PROBLEM WHEN TAMPA BAY WINS THE WC. WOULD YOU
    BELIEVE THAT EVEN THE ANGELS WILL CATCH US, IF THE RAYS
    DON'T. THE YANKS MIGHT BEAT THE RAYS OFF FOR A GAME OR
    TWO....BUT THE SOX STILL HAVE TO WIN....AND THAT IS A PROBLEM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYSoxFan9. Show NYSoxFan9's posts

Weiland kills us because the hitters know something Francona can't figure out. He's not a major league pitcher. 3 home runs in a crucial game and he doesn't take him out. I know I know he's saving the bullpen for October. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Weiland kills us because the hitters know something Francona can't figure out. He's not a major league pitcher. 3 home runs in a crucial game and he doesn't take him out. I know I know he's saving the bullpen for October. 
    Posted by NYSoxFan9[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be rough on Weiland because its managaments fault for giving him the ball.  I do think Weiland could make our rotation at some point, maybe even take over Wakes spot next season because he has three good pitches.

He's young and it's not fair to anyone to put him in this position. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Aceves pitched over 50 pitches, he won't be available for 2 days. 

I gotta admit, I didn't understand why they left him out there so long. Or why they pulled Doubront so early. He was a starter all year, he could have gone 5 and saved the rest of the pen for a game where we actually have a lead. 

I know, I know, there ain't been too many of those lately.

I guess Tito is kinda desperate to win about any game he is still in, no matter how unlikely that scenario is. 

-Daf. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : jessey, this is the worst decision making I have seen since the Theo/Francona ERA began.  David also got robbed which didn't help.  If you got to watch the game his "called foul ball" was a fair by almost two feet on replay. I think its great they feel highly of Weiland but when has a rookie ever been given this many starts during a pennant race the way hes pitching?  Three losses against the O's should also be a sign hes not ready.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Didn't see the bad umpire call, but I don't doubt it. I have seen way too many this year.

As for Aceves. The worst decision was the Yanks not resigning him. Believe, they are feeling that loss more than Lee right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

can't blame Weiland. kid from AAA pitching on 3 days rest in a game of this magnitude. he had no business being on the mound today. Aceves has been great and was again today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : Didn't see the bad umpire call, but I don't doubt it. I have seen way too many this year. As for Aceves. The worst decision was the Yanks not resigning him. Believe, they are feeling that loss more than Lee right now.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I agree, good to have the guy around.  I just wish we would start him and take our chances from there.  I don't see Aceves getting knocked around every time out like the others.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]can't blame Weiland. kid from AAA pitching on 3 days rest in a game of this magnitude. he had no business being on the mound today. Aceves has been great and was again today.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

J-BAY, It's obvious the kid has some good stuff and is probably gaining a world of experience and confidence in the fact management keeps giving him the ball but it's just not the right time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : I agree, good to have the guy around.  I just wish we would start him and take our chances from there.  I don't see Aceves getting knocked around every time out like the others.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

You don't see, period.

Aceves has a 5.14 ERA  1.571 WHIP starting for Boston this year.
    He's gone 5  6  5  5  IP. Total: 21 IP over 4 games.
    None of the 4 starts were against A.L. East Comp.

If he starts, he taxes the pen.
    If he doesn't, he saves the pen.

Man, that's a tough one!
    And to think, I didn't have to go to Yale to figure that one out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : You don't see, period . Aceves has a 5.14 ERA  1.571 WHIP starting for Boston this year. He's gone 5  6  5  5  IP. Total: 21 IP over 4 games. None of the 4 starts were against A.L. East Comp. If he starts, he taxes the pen. If he doesn't, he saves the pen. Man, that's a tough one! And to think, I didn't have to go to Yale to figure that one out.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Aceves has been incredible for the Sox coming in when needed. There is no one in the bullpen as reliable, except maybe Pap, who is a closer. And there is no one even close to replace him if they make him a starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : I completely agree. Aceves has been incredible for the Sox coming in when needed. There is no one in the bullpen as reliable, except maybe Pap, who is a closer. And there is no one even close to replace him if they make him a starter.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Why is it others can't see this???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

If you look at Aceves' history, he has not fared well as a starter. I think that may have something to do with their reluctance to start him. Also, outside of Paps (and up until Sept. 1st Bard) the bullpen has been totally unreliable, so taking the most consistent non-starter/closer out of the role that he has excelled in for several years now (with both NY & BOS) is a difficult call, and probably the wrong decision. That being said, at this point....it needs to be all hands on deck, and I think the Sox can justify the change to anybodies role considering how September has gone. Of course this team is talented enough to turn it on and run right through the post-season, especially of Lester and Beckett get hot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Aceves is better than Lackey, Wake, Weiland and Miller, yet some moron in the FO still has Weiiland starting. Management is beating our team to death. 

Aceves has a 5.14 ERA 1.571 WHIP starting for Boston this year.
    He's gone 5 6 5 5 IP. Total: 21 IP over 4 games.

Too small a sample, bird brain. Aceves career starter record is 2-1 and ERA is 4.18. A run less than career loser Tim Wakefield over last 2.5 years. Aceves has a career record of 23-3.

Aceves has not been allowed to start in Boston, simply given a few spot starts. Those spot starts are quite good, overall:

Start 1 May  21 Cubs       5 IP 3H 2BB 2K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR(True Quality)
    Start 2 May 26 @ Tigers  6 IP 5H 2BB 6K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR (True Quality)
    Start 3 May 31 White Sox 5 IP 8H 3BB 1K 6 ER 8 R 0 HR (Bad)
    Start 4 June 21 Padres     5 IP 4H 6BB 4K 4 ER 4 R 0 HR (marginal)

Tigers are better than all East teams but Yankees and Red Sox

Reality is that Aceves as bridge from nowhere starter is wrong on a team that had only Beckett and Lester after Buch was hurt. Proper use of Aceves would have resulted in at least 3 or 4 more net wins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

If the "bird brains" sample is to small...then so is yours 1958. Why do you have to make nasty personal comments in your posts? You seem like a knowledgeable baseball fan...let your opinions speak for themselves, there is no need to call people names.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He becomes abusive when he knows he's coming up short in any discussion.
    Aceves has faced weak comp overall as a starter. Tigers have beaten up on their own weak division. They are 36-32 outside it.

Aceves has only 9 career starts because he's not effective and taxes the pen.
    That's why he was a starter for 9 years in AAA...with a 4 ERA.
    MO/Fingers/Gossage were all failed starters. If he knew anything at all about pitching, he'd know how some pitchers lose their stuff ( endurance) and become more hittable as they are exposed thru a line-up over and over.

Deploying players properly is essential to individual/team productivity.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Why do you have to make nasty personal comments in your posts?

Why do you need to assume another screen name and indignantly pontificate.

Harnut is a board bully who is a NYT shill. Anyone that claims Wakefield and his 5 plus ERA over 2.5 years is deploying a player propery is out of his bird brain mind.

Harnut makes a point to call names, and is certainly more than idle enough to merit a term that fits a mental midget.

My sample size is in reponse to his pretending that this sample size validates Aceves as a lousy starter and a must in the pen. I listed the log which show 2 quality starts and only one bad start that skews a small sample. Harness uses selective small sample stats to mislead readers. 

Now, if you want to debate baseball let us do so. Tell me why Wakefield was on the roster while Aceves was in AAA during team early season black hole? Tell me why Wakefield and his 5 plus ERA for over 2.5 years is on the roster now? Tell me why all of baseball doesn't have a better available option for a massive budget team than one Tim 45 year old Wakefield?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Why do you have to make nasty personal comments in your posts? Why do you need to assume another screen name and indignantly pontificate.   Harnut is a board bully who is a NYT shill. Anyone that claims Wakefield and his 5 plus ERA over 2.5 years is deploying a player propery is out of his bird brain mind. Harnut makes a point to call names, and is certainly more than idle enough to merit a term that fits a mental midget. My sample size is in reponse to his pretending that this sample size validates Aceves as a lousy starter and a must in the pen. I listed the log which show 2 quality starts and only one bad start that skews a small sample. Harness uses selective small sample stats to mislead readers.  Now, if you want to debate baseball let us do so. Tell me why Wakefield was on the roster while Aceves was in AAA during team early season black hole? Tell me why Wakefield and his 5 plus ERA for over 2.5 years is on the roster now? Tell me why all of baseball doesn't have a better available option for a massive budget team than one Tim 45 year old Wakefield?  
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Because Wake was effective for a long stretch.
    Aceves is effective as a reliever. If NY/Boston saw him as an effective starter, he would have started. His value is in the BP. Few relievers can go 3+ IP these days.
    That's a rare commodity lost in a role not best suited to him.

Starters start.
    Relievers relieve.
    Relievers are often former starters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Aceves has been overworked.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : Because Wake was effective for a long stretch. Aceves is effective as a reliever. If NY/Boston saw him as an effective starter, he would have started. His value is in the BP. Few relievers can go 3+ IP these days. That's a rare commodity lost in a role not best suited to him. Starters start. Relievers relieve. Relievers are often former starters.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Aceves could easily pitch 5 or 6 innings and give us a much better start than Wake, Weiland or Lackey regardless.  At 28 years old if Alfredo can stay healthy I would definitely give him a few starts.  What we have now is nothing short of embarrassing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So Aceves pitches into the 6th with the lead.  Who takes the ball from there?  And who takes it from beckett when he leaves the game after 6 with the lead?  And Lester?

Let's have Aceves pitch every 5th day so that the Sox have no one to pass a lead to Bard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]So Aceves pitches into the 6th with the lead.  Who takes the ball from there?  And who takes it from beckett when he leaves the game after 6 with the lead?  And Lester? Let's have Aceves pitch every 5th day so that the Sox have no one to pass a lead to Bard.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I agree DirtyWater its a tough call.  Our middle relief is Aceves and he does a great job. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Weiland had some bad luck there, two dropped fly balls in the third--if those are caught as they should have been, he'd have had 3 perfect innings to start the game.  Probably would have changed everything.  Anyway, he does seem to start out well, so why not put him in the pen as an early reliever, put Aceves in to start, and use him as a 2 inning bridge guy.

Sections
Shortcuts