Weiland kills us Aceves shines

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines

In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines:
    Using Aceves in the first game had me scratching my head. Remember the errors in Left Field were huge. Lead to an unearned run. Game should have been tied at the end of 9.
    Posted by bobbysu

I dont blame Francona other than starting Weiland again.  Aveves was our best chance of giving the offense a chance to win.  I think the Sox could have won if not for the very badly botched call on Davids double/triple that replay showed fair by a foot and a half.  How this ump missed this was unbelievable because it really wasn't close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

I'll go with what Peter Gammons said yesterday on this issue. Aceves is more valuable being the bridge in the 6th and 7th innings to Bard and Papelbon. He might be a good starter but then who would be left to pitch the middle innings. I'm sure that Theo and Tito have pondered this problem. Let's ley up on the impulsive quick-trigger bashing. Try to remember that you are a Red Sox fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wake, as you call the 45 year old paunched bum, hasn't been effective for a short stretch.

Too small a sample, bird brain. Aceves career starter record is 2-1 and ERA is 4.18. A run less than career loser Tim Wakefield over last 2.5 years. Aceves has a career record of 23-3.

Aceves has not been allowed to start in Boston, simply given a few spot starts. Those spot starts are quite good, overall:

Start 1 May 21 Cubs 5 IP 3H 2BB 2K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR(True Quality)
    Start 2 May 26 @ Tigers 6 IP 5H 2BB 6K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR (True Quality)
    Start 3 May 31 White Sox 5 IP 8H 3BB 1K 6 ER 8 R 0 HR (Bad)
    Start 4 June 21 Padres 5 IP 4H 6BB 4K 4 ER 4 R 0 HR (marginal)

Tigers are better than all East teams but Yankees and Red Sox

Reality is that Aceves as bridge from nowhere starter is wrong on a team that had only Beckett and Lester after Buch was hurt. Proper use of Aceves would have resulted in at least 3 or 4 more net wins.                                  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : Aceves could easily pitch 5 or 6 innings and give us a much better start than Wake, Weiland or Lackey regardless.  At 28 years old if Alfredo can stay healthy I would definitely give him a few starts.  What we have now is nothing short of embarrassing.
    Posted by craze4sox

Aceves as a Boston starter:
    5 IP
    6 IP
    5 IP
    5 IP

5.14 ERA
    1.571 WHIP

How is he going to be a vast improvement over Weiland/Wake/Lackey?
    Who replaces Aceves in pen?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : Aceves as a Boston starter: 5 IP 6 IP 5 IP 5 IP 5.14 ERA 1.571 WHIP How is he going to be a vast improvement over Weiland/Wake/Lackey? Who replaces Aceves in pen?
    Posted by harness

I see Aceves has 9 career starts, with a 2 and 1 record, 4.18 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 246 opponent BA.  Are you only using his Boston Stats?  If so that's not a fair assessment.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=aceveal01&year=Career&t=p

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I can't see starting him... he is our best pen guy 6 and 7th innings. He likely is overworked already. Our offense truthfully has been awful other than a big outburst here and there... Aceves gives up 4 or 5 runs per start imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I can't see starting him... he is our best pen guy 6 and 7th innings. He likely is overworked already. Our offense truthfully has been awful other than a big outburst here and there... Aceves gives up 4 or 5 runs per start imo.
    Posted by BurritoT

I agree Burrito, at this point Alfredo is better off in the pen because we have used him a lot to save our starters.  Somewhere we need to find a more productive fourth starter for next season unless Lackey can turn things around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Weiland kills us Aceves shines:
    Thats how many times now?   Aceves is better than Lackey, Wake, Weiland and Miller, yet some moron in the FO still has Weiiland starting.  Management is beating our team to death.  Even the announcers are asking why we don't start the veteran Aceves, how many clues does management need?
    Posted by craze4sox

Francona's call. He made the decision, just like the decision to keep Atchison on the Pawtucket shuttle all year. Catering to veterans like Wakefield because Timmy has to get win #200.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You can expect Lackey to rebound by going 14-9 with an era of 4.10 and then I will have to listen to people say how good he is again, which would still be inaccurate. I wish he could be released - as like in now, right away, chop chop. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Weiland kills us Aceves shines : Francona's call. He made the decision, just like the decision to keep Atchison on the Pawtucket shuttle all year. Catering to veterans like Wakefield because Timmy has to get win #200.
    Posted by ADG

ADG,
    I agree Wake needs to retire even though in his defense our 80mil pitcher is worse than the old guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Weiland kills us Aceves shines : I see Aceves has 9 career starts, with a 2 and 1 record, 4.18 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 246 opponent BA. Are you only using his Boston Stats?  If so that's not a fair assessment.http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=aceveal01&year=Career&t=p
    Posted by craze4sox

Who is Aceves pitching for?
    What year is this?

That is what is pertinent.
    That and the fact he spent 9 years in AAA as a starter with a 4 ERA.
    He has 9 career starts for a reason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

Aceves is better than Lackey, Wake, Weiland and Miller, yet some moron in the FO still has Weiiland starting. Management is beating our team to death.  Aceves has a 5.14 ERA 1.571 WHIP starting for Boston this year. He's gone 5 6 5 5 IP. Total: 21 IP over 4 games . Too small a sample, bird brain. Aceves career starter record is 2-1 and ERA is 4.18. A run less than career loser Tim Wakefield over last 2.5 years. Aceves has a career record of 23-3. Aceves has not been allowed to start in Boston, simply given a few spot starts. Those spot starts are quite good, overall: Start 1 May  21 Cubs       5 IP 3H 2BB 2K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR(True Quality) Start 2 May 26 @ Tigers  6 IP 5H 2BB 6K 1 ER 1 R 0 HR (True Quality) Start 3 May 31 White Sox 5 IP 8H 3BB 1K 6 ER 8 R 0 HR (Bad) Start 4 June 21 Padres     5 IP 4H 6BB 4K 4 ER 4 R 0 HR (marginal) Tigers are better than all East teams but Yankees and Red Sox Reality is that Aceves as bridge from nowhere starter is wrong on a team that had only Beckett and Lester after Buch was hurt. Proper use of Aceves would have resulted in at least 3 or 4 more net wins.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

or losses since we would have no 7th inning guy.

Sections
Shortcuts