Welcome aboard, Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross

In response to "Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : He's on ignore, but I'm sure he must be saying don't sign Cody, don't sign Oswalt (I'd agree here), don't trade for Floyd, and Ben is now inepsben. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] ......and: "trade Ellsbury".....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : He's on ignore, but I'm sure he must be saying don't sign Cody, don't sign Oswalt (I'd agree here), don't trade for Floyd, and Ben is now inepsben.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

He's been saying it for long enough that I'm sure you heard it before you put him on ignore.  Typically it was around how Ellsbury was terrible and that he wouldn't improve as he entered his prime.

I hadn't heard the "Inepsben" comment yet.  I feel like most posters recognize that Ben is left cleaning up Epsteins' mess, even if they still want the Sox to blow the budget.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ross is coming out of a dumpster! Pitiful last year, and 3M reminds me of Hermida which one "realistic poster" called "a low risk high reward". In reality, 3M is not low risk for what amounts to a player with sagging confidence on a team that has nearly 30M a year in 2 left feet. The OF for the Red Sox is not impressive in the near term, and most certainly is not impressive in the long term.

Cherry is overreacting to embarrassment of InEpstein administration, which he was a part of. He is picking through dumpsters and trying to impress his owner and soften the blow of his absurd payroll for lazy starting pitchers and outfielders.

This team needed a blockbuster trade to make the offensive lineup deeper and more imposing. Instead, Ross and Punto from a couple of dumpsters. This won't hide the absurd payroll for 2012, which needed to be dealt with over the years without some silly potemkin stunt like Ross and Punto. I see Crawford and 20M on the shelf, and a FA contract seeking Ellsbury riding it out and playing big hops for his 8 million.

Valentine has his hands full with the lard and prima donnas on this team. The GM certainly hasn't done anything but "image improvement with paint by numbers".

The blockbuster trade that should have come this winter will come in this summer out of necessity. I see a big cleaning house this summer, with Valentine looking to formulate new team leaders and a new work ethic that will not be present with these old hacks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In response to "Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross": [QUOTE]That's what I just read too jbay. If we give him 3M, are we still going to have enough to go after Oswalt? Getting both of those guys would set this team up in pretty good shape going into 2012 IMHO. Oswalt would counter NYY signing Kuroda, and they needed Pineda just to keep up with our top three. Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE] Given the performance of both teams over the last three years, do you really think that the Yankee Gm is trying to '"keep up" with your top three ? It might have more to do with a number of other teams in the AL who have recently closed the gap between the yanks and yes, even the sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

[QUOTE]Ross is coming out of a dumpster! Pitiful last year, and 3M reminds me of Hermida which one "realistic poster" called "a low risk high reward". In reality, 3M is not low risk for what amounts to a player with sagging confidence on a team that has nearly 30M a year in 2 left feet. The OF for the Red Sox is not impressive in the near term, and most certainly is not impressive in the long term. Cherry is overreacting to embarrassment of InEpstein administration, which he was a part of. He is picking through dumpsters and trying to impress his owner and soften the blow of his absurd payroll for lazy starting pitchers and outfielders. This team needed a blockbuster trade to make the offensive lineup deeper and more imposing. Instead, Ross and Punto from a couple of dumpsters. This won't hide the absurd payroll for 2012, which needed to be dealt with over the years without some silly potemkin stunt like Ross and Punto. I see Crawford and 20M on the shelf, and a FA contract seeking Ellsbury riding it out and playing big hops for his 8 million. Valentine has his hands full with the lard and prima donnas on this team. The GM certainly hasn't done anything but "image improvement with paint by numbers". The blockbuster trade that should have come this winter will come in this summer out of necessity. I see a big cleaning house this summer, with Valentine looking to formulate new team leaders and a new work ethic that will not be present with these old hacks.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Who do you suggest we should have traded for to get a blockbuster deal. And more importantly, who should we have given up for this Iconic Player....Of course Ellsbury and who else???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While we didn't get an expensive RF'er, it's hard to not imagine a nice upgrade from our 2011 RF numbers (Yes, I know stats arent everything, but....) :

Sox RF '11:                .233/.299/.353/.652
    Career
    Ross vs LHPs:           .282/.349/.563/.912
    Ross vs RHPs:           .253/.313/.414/.727
    Sweeney vs RHPs:   .296/.352/.402/.754

Is it unrealistic to project an OPS of .800-.825 combined?
    We could even see a 200 point gain here for about $4M above the cost of Reddick/DMac.

Good job Ben!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I orginally expected we might get Cody for as low as $7M/2. $3M is a risk, but it's only 1 year. It worries me that his OPS has declined every year since 2007: 1.064 .804 .790 .735 .730 His career numbers are very encouraging, particularly vs LHPs. Overall (per 691 PAs): .261  25  93  (OBP .323/SLG .456/OPS .779) vs LHPs (per 683 PAs): .282  41  125  (OBP .349/SLG .563/OPS .912) Let's hope he reverts back more towards his career numbers than his trend numbers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, the OPS drop is not promising.  On the other hand, one's OPS is bound to drop playing in San Francisco ... without the cream and the clear ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Ross is coming out of a dumpster! Pitiful last year, and 3M reminds me of Hermida which one "realistic poster" called "a low risk high reward". In reality, 3M is not low risk for what amounts to a player with sagging confidence on a team that has nearly 30M a year in 2 left feet. The OF for the Red Sox is not impressive in the near term, and most certainly is not impressive in the long term. Cherry is overreacting to embarrassment of InEpstein administration, which he was a part of. He is picking through dumpsters and trying to impress his owner and soften the blow of his absurd payroll for lazy starting pitchers and outfielders. This team needed a blockbuster trade to make the offensive lineup deeper and more imposing. Instead, Ross and Punto from a couple of dumpsters. This won't hide the absurd payroll for 2012, which needed to be dealt with over the years without some silly potemkin stunt like Ross and Punto. I see Crawford and 20M on the shelf, and a FA contract seeking Ellsbury riding it out and playing big hops for his 8 million. Valentine has his hands full with the lard and prima donnas on this team. The GM certainly hasn't done anything but "image improvement with paint by numbers". The blockbuster trade that should have come this winter will come in this summer out of necessity. I see a big cleaning house this summer, with Valentine looking to formulate new team leaders and a new work ethic that will not be present with these old hacks.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

You know, when you put your mid to it, you can come up with some pretty insightful and well thought-out posts. You are spot on on your assessment, and it amazes me at all the people taken in by the payroll BS that the RS organization is selling.
    The fact of the matter is that JH can spend whatever he wants on anyone he wants, the money is there, and I'm sure he appreciates everyone on here who is trying to save him a buck or two.
    We as fans should be outraged that Henry is not willing to go over the LT to give us a legitimate shot at a WC.
    Too many accountants and way too much gullibility on this forum.

BTW: Please lay off Wake. He deserves your respect for what he has done for and meant to, this organization.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]We as fans should be outraged that Henry is not willing to go over the LT to give us a legitimate shot at a WC. Too many accountants and way too much gullibility on this forum.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I am an accountant and I'm obviously one of the people you think are gullible.  I think you're a whiner.  The Red Sox did go over the LT the last two seasons and they probably will again.  Their payroll is about 180 million and people like you still think it's not enough. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : I am an accountant and I'm obviously one of the people you think are gullible.  I think you're a whiner.  The Red Sox did go over the LT the last two seasons and they probably will again.  Their payroll is about 180 million and people like you still think it's not enough. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

It's only that high because because we had a GM that didn't know how to get the most for the money. Just bad deal making.
    Frankly, what fan cares how much the payroll is? Is it coming out of your pocket? Are ticket prices coming down if JH doesn't exceed the LT?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : It's only that high because because we had a GM that didn't know how to get the most for the money. Just bad deal making. Frankly, what fan cares how much the payroll is? Is it coming out of your pocket? Are ticket prices coming down if JH doesn't exceed the LT?

Rational Fan – What did you think of Papelbon signing with the Phillies? Seems like a lot of money to give to a reliever.

Irrational Fan – You can’t let Paps leave, it’s not my money. Give him what he wants.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : Rational Fan – What did you think of Papelbon signing with the Phillies? Seems like a lot of money to give to a reliever. Irrational Fan – You can’t let Paps leave, it’s not my money. Give him what he wants.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Typical. Respond by citing someone else's drivel.
    I'm glad Pap is gone, but we could have done a lot better than Bailey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

While I hope CODY Ross or any player te Sox pickup have good years years or career years, it seems the Sox are trying to patch holes with average to below average players.

We lose Papelbon, and replace him with Bailey, we get younge and less expensive, but not better. Now I will say that BAiley is a good stopper[at least he was in Oakland],  but he will now pitch in the AL east, much tougher than th AL west.

We trade for Melancon, a good move, but he now has to replace Bard, who until that fateful Sept.[a total team collaspe] was almost unhitable. Will Melancon prove to be as good, we only can hope so.

While we did not get much if anything from Drew last year, it seems rightfield remains a work in progress. I believe that Sweeney is a better solution than Ross, but time will prove to be the decider on that issue. Ross could provide righthand power in Fenway, but will management be happy if he hits .240 or below, which is possible. After all you don't pay just 3 million for a 31 year old and always get a great return in exchange.

I believe we better hope  Kalish heals sooner than we have hoped for, as he still is the best solution for the Sox.

Now what about Crawford, was last season's performance due in large part to his wrist, or have we seen the best of Crawford in Tampa Bay? I believe[really am hoping more than believing] he will bounce back to the Crawford of TB.

By June  the Sox should have a better idea on Iglelias as to whether he is a prospect or suspect. Can the Sox afford to go with Punto or Aviles at SS until Iglelias is ready, or  until the Sox have to make a move at SS?

Each season brings new question marks and 2012 will be no different. Can Youkilis return to form, does Ortiz have another great in him, will Beckett become what Valentine wants him to be, and will Beckett be humble enough to be  a team player? What about Bard or Aceves as starters?

These are just a few questions that will have to be answered, not to say about the catching[hopefully Salty is the real answer].

But getting back to the post 'Welcome aboard Cody Ross' let's not act like he is a AS big leaguer, he has come to save the franchise, he is a part-time 4th outfielder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Who do you suggest we should have traded for to get a blockbuster deal.

I provided details on Kemp, last winter and this summer, as well as details for J. Upton and Hanley Ramirez this winter. Ellsbury 2 arbitration years should have been shipped out of town along with blocked prospects at 3B, 2B, IF, OF, along with any farm pitching prospect except for Ranaudo and those from the last draft. And for those who claim "it would take more" nonsense, I called the AGon trade and the price was nothing short of pitiful. J. Upton has already been shopped, and I outlined the baloon payments which extend beyond Ellsbury's 2 arbitration years where acquiring teams are able to buy or get draft compensation, by trading and opting for payroll flexibilility that a butcher like InEpstein seemed to think how owner could care less about. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Wake gets respect when he retires and stops begging for a contract.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]But getting back to the post 'Welcome aboard Cody Ross' let's not act like he is a AS big leaguer, he has come to save the franchise, he is a part-time 4th outfielder.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody is acting that way, maybe you're reading too much into the thread title.  People have been hoping we would get an RH-hitting outfielder who could hit lefties without breaking the budget, and Ross was one of the guys out there who fit that description.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... it amazes me at all the people taken in by the payroll BS that the RS organization is selling.
    The fact of the matter is that JH can spend whatever he wants on anyone he wants, the money is there, and I'm sure he appreciates everyone on here who is trying to save him a buck or two.
    We as fans should be outraged that Henry is not willing to go over the LT to give us a legitimate shot at a WC.
    Too many accountants and way too much gullibility on this forum.

Just because we accept that we will be under the tax limit this year, does not mean we are "gullible". We know Henry could spend $500M if he wanted. We just don't see the point in arguing with each other about someone else wanting or not wanting to make money or make a lot of money. The fact is, we spend more than all but the yanks and will again in 2012. I can settle for accepting that, and am happy I'm not a Pirates fan.

Just because we are trying to discuss rational ideas of how to improve this team within the framework of staying under the cap does not mean we agree or disagree with henry's spending choices, it just means we are being realistic about what cards have been dealt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Every Yankee and Red Sox fan knows by this time after reading 500 articles about future changes concerning the luxury tax and revenue sharing that it will be imperative to reduce you budget and future budgets in order to reap the benefits provided under the new regulations. Everyone seems to be finally aware and on board with this. except for Alibiike. What I suspect that Ike is doing is just being dense on purpose to ring our bells. It is best to ignore him and don't waste your time and effort.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Regardless of how this all turns out...the Sox will have somebody play RF...they will have 5 starters come opening day and there will be a SS.  This team with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB will contend and repair/replace players this year as needed to continue to compete.  The only major loss the Sox suffered was out of the BP and the starting pitching...both starters not all that difficult to replace barring more injuries.  The only thing that can't be controlled is what has ruined the past two years for the Sox - injuries.  Sox have upgraded the GM and manager positions which should make a lot of fans feel more comfortable.  I do not believe too many will sigh and make a wish that we had Francona back in the fold...or Theo.  Whether or not the FO spends more or not is a non-issue for this board...as Moon has said, they can but they may not choose to do so. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : You know, when you put your mid to it, you can come up with some pretty insightful and well thought-out posts. You are spot on on your assessment, and it amazes me at all the people taken in by the payroll BS that the RS organization is selling. The fact of the matter is that JH can spend whatever he wants on anyone he wants, the money is there, and I'm sure he appreciates everyone on here who is trying to save him a buck or two. We as fans should be outraged that Henry is not willing to go over the LT to give us a legitimate shot at a WC. Too many accountants and way too much gullibility on this forum. BTW: Please lay off Wake. He deserves your respect for what he has done for and meant to, this organization.

Ownership is going to spend almost $180mill on the team this year.  For sarcastic references, I was going to ask when the last time was you spent $180mill on anything, but that’s a little unfair.  However, go check how many other owners are spending in excess of this amount, and that should give you an idea that it is a ridiculous and completely unnecessary allotment of cash.

Whether or not anyone condones the cutbacks is one thing, but try not to act so idiotic as to think acceptance has any influence on the reality.  JH is not perusing these boards to decide whether or not to spend more money based on our approval or disapproval.

The reality is it divides the boards into two factions – those who believe the only way to win is to spend, and those who believe spending is not a necessity.  The latter group also includes people (such as myself) who believe spending heavily does nothing more than get quick fix solutions that will become long term problems.  There are rare instances where this is not the case, but the overwhelming majority absolutely fall into this category.

Never confuse “gullibility” with acceptance.  When you grow up, you might come to accept the fact that no one is required to spend money so as to maximize your enjoyment, yourself included.  This forum has too many idiots who lament Henry’s spending on other ventures like NASCAR, soccer, or his new wife.  These people need to find another hobby besides watching baseball.  None of us has any business telling Henry how and when to spend, and he doesn’t owe us anything.  The decision has been made to avoid the LT threshold, and that is final regardless of how loudly you whine, call other people names, or try to spread the blame around to other fans who simply believe there is more to baseball than spending on free agency.  Even softy preaches for blockbuster deals, a much smarter alternative (although more difficult to pull off, particularly the one-sided ones.)

$178mill is more than enough to build a winner.  Even with close to $50mill on the DL to start the season, the remaining $130mill is more than enough.  And given the amount already spent, the Sox are simply being prudent with their expenditures as opposed to rampantly throwing multi-million dollar checks around to everyone with an agent.

This team was good enough last off-season that we all were excited.  Now it’s the same team without Papelbon and Scutaro, but with Andy Bailey and A LOT more pitching depth. 

And they’re not done yet.

PS You are right about Wakefield...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Sox are simply being prudent with their expenditures as opposed to rampantly throwing multi-million dollar checks around to everyone with an agent.

No one in their right mind could type that without a burst of laughter!

Sections
Shortcuts