Well done, Daisuke Matsuzaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well done, Daisuke Matsuzaka

7 innings, 1 unearned run.  And it wasn't luck.  He mixed up his pitches and hit his spots.  When he got into trouble, he pitched tough. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Well done, Daisuke Matsuzaka

A lot like he did in his 18-win season.  Most impressive was the lack of free passes.  Kudos. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This guy is different because his control was pretty terrific. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

just shows you, when he attacks the zone early in the count he can be very good.  he usually nibbles early in the count and gets behind...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If he can locate his pitches, he can be tough because all of them have movement. Of course KC isn't the biggest challenge a pitcher can face, but for today that was a really well pitched game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

3 or 4 outings more that resemble this one and Sox will try to sign him for next year I hope. The thing is he must finish the  season pitching like he did today. Ciriaco had a rare o-fer day and the others picked him up. More of that and we will still have a decent team to attract the few free agents out there. STAY AWAY from Hamilton. He belongs in Texas and Ron Washington can wait for the next late night phone call.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Interesting how Dice-K was being desperately shipped out of town. I'm glad he's here over Beckett..I've said that before too. He's still a viable SP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Salty rode Dice-K rather hard today. Signals with his glove and with his shoulder indicated that he was not in the mood to fool around. I think he gets some credit for keeping Dice-K focused. Salty also mixed the pitch calls well. 
    The pitcher executed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i like dice...hope he comes back well....the anti-beckett thats for sure

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

If Sox can sign Dice for a one year 3-4 million incentive laden contract they should do it.  I think he can be an effective #4-5 starter if healthy.  Thats a BIG IF but what other options are out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I'd rather have Dice back next year than Cook.  Dice likes playing here and he likes Valentine because he speaks Japanese.  Of course, if Bobby is not back next year that may make a difference but I still think a healthy Dice K is worth a shot at low money with incentives.  Maybe Sox can recoup some of their investment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Well done, Daisuke Matsuzaka:
    I'd rather have Dice back next year than Cook.  Dice likes playing here and he likes Valentine because he speaks Japanese.  Of course, if Bobby is not back next year that may make a difference but I still think a healthy Dice K is worth a shot at low money with incentives.  Maybe Sox can recoup some of their investment.
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame

I agree with you on that one!!

Cook is too old and got nothing left in him.  Dice K would more likely to resign as a #4 to #5 pitcher for like 2 to 3 million dollars a year.  if he ask more than that, then he can go!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Salty rode Dice-K rather hard today. Signals with his glove and with his shoulder indicated that he was not in the mood to fool around. I think he gets some credit for keeping Dice-K focused. Salty also mixed the pitch calls well.  The pitcher executed.
    Posted by expitch

Well, considering he allowed 6 runs in the 7th on Saturday, he was due to call a better game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty rode Dice-K rather hard today. Signals with his glove and with his shoulder indicated that he was not in the mood to fool around. I think he gets some credit for keeping Dice-K focused. Salty also mixed the pitch calls well.  The pitcher executed.
    Posted by expitch

I don't know about the signals, but you're darn tootin' Salty gets some credit. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Dice pitched a very nice game. His last outing at Pawtucket was well done. 

Do you think Boras is going to allow Dice to sign for $3 to 5 M? That's like saying Ells, also a Boras, is going to sign for $10 M for 5 to 7 years.

Boras will start the bidding for Dice , esp. if he has a strong finish in Sept., at $10 M, knowing he can get that from multiple teams--like the Giants or Dodgers--6 hours closer to Japan.

There will be no discounts unless Dice tells Boras he wants to play here for less.
    Boras knows the Sox have money---not much good pitching out there as FA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am NOT a Matsuzaka fan and would have traded him right after his last decent performanc back in the middle of the season, but he did pitch well today. 

He even pitched at a much faster pace as well which is maybe something he can learn to do on a consistant basis.  And, too bad he can't be traded tonight or tomorrow morning because his value is about as high right now as it has been in 4 seasons.

Not sure that I would get too worked up about whether he is even considered to return for next year until we all see him pitch again like today about 6 more times this season.  He has a lot of history to change before he ever can think about returning to Boston

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

I am NOT a Matsuzaka fan and would have traded him right after his last decent performanc back in the middle of the season, but he did pitch well today.  He even pitched at a much faster pace as well which is maybe something he can learn to do on a consistant basis.  And, too bad he can't be traded tonight or tomorrow morning because his value is about as high right now as it has been in 4 seasons. Not sure that I would get too worked up about whether he is even considered to return for next year until we all see him pitch again like today about 6 more times this season.  He has a lot of history to change before he ever can think about returning to Boston
    Posted by charliedarling

----------------------

I was Anti-Matsuzaka to a fault over the seasons when he seemed never to be THERE.  Too much other crap going on with him & once again - like what's been going on now with the others - the team suffered.

But I'm really happy to see that he's done well.  Hope he keeps it up.  I guess everybody now sees there can be a ticket out of town waiting for them when management has it up to here with them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Dice pitched a very nice game. His last outing at Pawtucket was well done.  Do you think Boras is going to allow Dice to sign for $3 to 5 M? That's like saying Ells, also a Boras, is going to sign for $10 M for 5 to 7 years. Boras will start the bidding for Dice , esp. if he has a strong finish in Sept., at $10 M, knowing he can get that from multiple teams--like the Giants or Dodgers--6 hours closer to Japan. There will be no discounts unless Dice tells Boras he wants to play here for less. Boras knows the Sox have money---not much good pitching out there as FA.
    Posted by MadMc44

Given that DiceK is a free agent next year without compensation, if there is any interest in DiceK between now and August 31st, the Red Sox should pull him aside and have this conversation:

Red Sox: Hey DiceK, we really appreciate your professionalism and work ethic and we would be interested in bringing you back next year.

DiceK: Okay

Red Sox: But the Pirates are interested in your services for the stretch run and we'd like to give you an opportunity to get a chance at the postseason.

DiceK:  Okay

If their is any interest, and the Red Sox can get anything back in return, they should have this conversation with him.  They won't lose anything by doing so. Yes DiceK will be away from his family for the month of September and possibly part of October, but he's a free agent next year and they can get him back regardless.  They surely aren't going to offer him arbitration.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Hasn't anyone noticed? This whole team is now relaxed! Ellsbury is a changed man at the plate. Dice K didn't look like he was going to be eaten alive if he gave up a base hit!

Ortiz was ready to call it a day; now, he'll try injections, another 15 day DL, whatever' he wants to play with these guys.

Ben C. should get at least a medal!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Hasn't anyone noticed? This whole team is now relaxed! Ellsbury is a changed man at the plate. Dice K didn't look like he was going to be eaten alive if he gave up a base hit! Ortiz was ready to call it a day; now, he'll try injections, another 15 day DL, whatever' he wants to play with these guys. Ben C. should get at least a medal!
    Posted by bosoxmal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Today is what's so maddening when it comes to Dice-K. The guy can be brilliant at times. He's just so unreliable. Still, if the money is right I'd take him back next year. He's better than Cook, and if they go into the season expecting him to be a 5th starter than it won't be quite as frustrating if he performs like one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Well done, Daisuke Matsuzaka:
    7 innings, 1 unearned run.  And it wasn't luck.  He mixed up his pitches and hit his spots.  When he got into trouble, he pitched tough. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Well done, Max.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I keep thinking about the Dice-K of 2008, 18-3, 2.90ERA. That was before Francona and Farrell forced him to completely change his pre game preparations and his after game rituals. It was no big deal for him to throw 150+ pitches in a game and then after the game, go to the outfield for some long toss. 18-3, 2.90 ERA. Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I keep thinking about the Dice-K of 2008, 18-3, 2.90ERA. That was before Francona and Farrell forced him to completely change his pre game preparations and his after game rituals. It was no big deal for him to throw 150+ pitches in a game and then after the game, go to the outfield for some long toss. 18-3, 2.90 ERA.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

I agree with you, '41.  He came with a routine that worked for him.  It was totally different from American BB wisdom ... but it is what made him Dice-K.  It was why we wanted him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And Valentine has even voiced his opinion that they should not have changed Dice-K's routine.  It's not like the Japanese pitchers all have elbow ligament tears and none of the American pitchers do; quite to opposite, except once the Japanese pitchers come to America.

Being a Borass client along with Ellsbury might actually work in the Sox's favor.  If they agree to go a little long on Ells, Borass might deliver them Matsuzaka with an incentive-laden deal.

Sections
Shortcuts