Well Well Well

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well Well Well

Lookee what we got here. The woeful Boston Red Sox chockful of roster holes and weak off-season moves and a joke of a manager, on May 22, have a better record than the mighty Detroit Tigers and California Angels, who unlike the inept newbie GM Ben Cherrington, made the big moves to vault ahead of the Sox into the best of the A.L.  I was told many times pre-season that these clubs had no holes.  But, stop the press, it turns out they DO have holes.  And it also turns out that games are still played on the field.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Well Well Well

I thought Pujols was a good move albeit a very pricey one.  Fielder could still be one because he can also DH.  I absolutely would not have wanted either one in Boston. 

I agree Cherington and company are looking pretty smart right now.  Ross and Sweeney delivered.  Aviles has outplayed Scutaro in his best year (at Toronto).  Re-signing Ortiz for a king's ransom was smart.  Letting the great Papelbon go was not dumb, and replacing him with Aceves looks better and better.  Letting Bard start--vice continue as the set-up man in the bullpen--has provided a usable starter and absolutely not provided a gap in the bullpen.  Bobby V ain't poifect, but I like what he has done so far even though occasionally I disagree with my 20-20 hindsight. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Well Well Well:
    [QUOTE]Lookee what we got here. The woeful Boston Red Sox chockful of roster holes and weak off-season moves and a joke of a manager, on May 22, have a better record than the mighty Detroit Tigers and California Angels, who unlike the inept newbie GM Ben Cherrington, made the big moves to vault ahead of the Sox into the best of the A.L.  I was told many times pre-season that these clubs had no holes.  But, stop the press, it turns out they DO have holes.  And it also turns out that games are still played on the field.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    I'm with you, Space. Who knows where it will all end up? But the Sox are battlers and will stay in the mix. They are great to watch. Last night Buchholz put them in a hole ( speaking of real holes ), but they were unfazed and pulled it out.
    Compare this with last September.  Some joke, that manager.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ironically, as great as the Sox have been at bouncing back despite key guys on the DL, they now face the challenge of having a zillion outfielders, but especially CC, Ells, Ross, and Sweeney (likely), on the DL. 

If he promises not to get injured, I would consider asking AGon to spend more time in the OF, allowing Youk to return to 1B and Middlebrooks to stay at 3B.  That gets you five good bats--assuming Youk is hitting--in the infield (I'm counting Youk, Pedroia, Aviles, Middlebrooks, and Salty) and 1-2 good bats (AGon and Nava) in the outfield.  Pretty good, but not much speed in the outfield.  So in one-sided games Lin gets to play. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I guess you never say a bad word about the previous manager.

*I have never said a critical word about Terry Francona.*.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Things are looking up , but let's not get too excited. Still a ways to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox are at .500...break out the Duck Boats!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree that Ben C. did a good job during the off season even thought he didnt have a whole alot of money to spend on.  He knew which player is a worthy player to come to Boston such as Ross, Sweetney, Shoppoch, Byrd, Padilla, Cook, etc. as well he didnt make any trade including any of Boston's top 10 prospects.

Within five years from now, Ben C is going to do a heck of a better job than Theo!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Well Well Well:
    [QUOTE]The Sox are at .500...break out the Duck Boats!!
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

not the point dc, but thanks anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

space, I know what your saying, I was being very sarcastic, obviously.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

who cares about detroit.  there are still 3 teams above us and 1 right next to us in our own division.  Let's try and get to the top of our own division at 173MM and then we can start taking shots at other franchises suspect moves.
    just saying....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]space, I know what your saying, I was being very sarcastic, obviously.

And I agree with the sentiment of your sarcasm.  No need to get to high on a little win streak.  Still a .500 ball club.  But, I merely wanted to point out, especially because the Sox were scuffling so bad to start, that the Tigers and Angels, like all clubs, have their share of issues.  If you polled this board in March about where the relative standings would be, I guarantee the overwhelming majority would have had the Tigs and Halos with some gaudy record and the Sox way under .500.  The grass is always greener.  But a Prince Fielder or an Albert Pujols do not a complete roster make.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

space, totally agree. That's why I get sick of the "well, the Yankee suck too" so let's be happy. I'm all about the Sox. It's the Sox that I want to do well, the Sox that I care about making the postseason, the Sox I want to win the title. The Tigers have a great roster of talent and so do the Angels, but you still have to play the game, you get the injuries, the slumps, and you play it out. But you know, the Sox have a good roster too, a very good one and a pretty darn great nucleus with 2 or 3 main players just in horrific slumps (Clay and AGON and Youks hurt).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]Agree that Ben C. did a good job during the off season even thought he didnt have a whole alot of money to spend on.  He knew which player is a worthy player to come to Boston such as Ross, Sweetney, Shoppoch, Byrd, Padilla, Cook, etc. as well he didnt make any trade including any of Boston's top 10 prospects. Within five years from now, Ben C is going to do a heck of a better job than Theo!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

No, he just traded away Lowrie, Reddick and Bowden, for a bunch of used parts.
    And let's not forget Scutaro for Clay Mortensen. That was a brilliant deal!
    The sox are playing well despite the boneheaded personnel moves by a most incompetent GM.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I guess you never say a bad word about the previous manager. *I have never said a critical word about Terry Francona.*.....
    Do you realize what you just did? You're losing it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Well Well Well:
    [QUOTE]Lookee what we got here. The woeful Boston Red Sox chockful of roster holes and weak off-season moves and a joke of a manager, on May 22, have a better record than the mighty Detroit Tigers and California Angels, who unlike the inept newbie GM Ben Cherrington, made the big moves to vault ahead of the Sox into the best of the A.L.  I was told many times pre-season that these clubs had no holes.  But, stop the press, it turns out they DO have holes.  And it also turns out that games are still played on the field.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Well Well : No, he just traded away Lowrie, Reddick and Bowden, for a bunch of used parts. And let's not forget Scutaro for Clay Mortensen. That was a brilliant deal! The sox are playing well despite the boneheaded personnel moves by a most incompetent GM.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

I think it is hilarious that a lot of people don't know how good Bailey is/will be once healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I think this thread has the value of snakeoil and slobber from the chin. It's May, Space cadet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Well Well : Do you realize what you just did? You're losing it.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Losing what? I won my last start. Obviously I was referencing the sarcastic "some joke, that manager" that space was referring to BV and you placed in your response right after "Compare this to last September"...You placed some joke, that manager there. Why? To me it comes off as a rip at Francona. You can enlighten me though if you feel that it was in reference instead to BV. I thought the placement of the line was meant for Francona. You had insisted you never said a bad word about Tito, but that's how I perceived what you were saying in the earlier post on this thread. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

danny...quit the Francona nonsense..you are living proff that it is his supporters that cant deal with reality...i have no problem saying what he did well as manager...but he was a lousy, weak manager the past few years and was generously allowed the dignity to "resign"...bobby V may not be your fav but he has been challenged in many ways and had done well....i expect him to continue to do well..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

geo, with all due respect, this is between myself and expitch, a conversation between A and B, so C your way out of it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Well Well Well": [QUOTE]I think this thread has the value of snakeoil and slobber from the chin. It's May, Space cadet. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] You would know....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobolinkx. Show bobolinkx's posts

[QUOTE]Ironically, as great as the Sox have been at bouncing back despite key guys on the DL, they now face the challenge of having a zillion outfielders, but especially CC, Ells, Ross, and Sweeney (likely), on the DL.  If he promises not to get injured, I would consider asking AGon to spend more time in the OF, allowing Youk to return to 1B and Middlebrooks to stay at 3B.  That gets you five good bats--assuming Youk is hitting--in the infield (I'm counting Youk, Pedroia, Aviles, Middlebrooks, and Salty) and 1-2 good bats (AGon and Nava) in the outfield.  Pretty good, but not much speed in the outfield.  So in one-sided games Lin gets to play. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Why not KY at 3rd, AG at 1st, Middlebrooks in RF - he is much faster afoot?