Well..Ortiz certainly has some power behind him now!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..Ortiz certainly has some power behind him now!

During Spring Training, David Ortiz complained to the media that he didn't have any power behind him..which left him vulnerable at the plate..and as he put it..feeling a heavy burden of responsibility to carry the offense.

Well..it's early days yet..but I hope Big Papi is sleeping a little better at night knowing he need not worry about this particular concern any longer. Mike Napoli has more than stepped up to the plate offensively. This guy is a powerhouse and one tough dude. A dislocated finger and a nasty shot to the knee haven't been enough to stop this guy. I hope it continues.

Mike Napoli should be getting a lot more Red Sox Nation love than he does...!

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Re: Well..Ortiz certainly has some power behind him now!

Maybe he should be getting "a lot more" Ortiz love.... let's try to keep it in perspective. The fans were not complaining, Ortiz was.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

During Spring Training, David Ortiz complained to the media that he didn't have any power behind him..which left him vulnerable at the plate..and as he put it..feeling a heavy burden of responsibility to carry the offense.

Well..it's early days yet..but I hope Big Papi is sleeping a little better at night knowing he need not worry about this particular concern any longer. Mike Napoli has more than stepped up to the plate offensively. This guy is a powerhouse and one tough dude. A dislocated finger and a nasty shot to the knee haven't been enough to stop this guy. I hope it continues.

Mike Napoli should be getting a lot more Red Sox Nation love than he does...!

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

[/QUOTE]SLEEPING BETTER  ????   I would say so, with that new contract !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Papi hasnt been exactly tearing it up himself...looks like father time might be knocking louder on his door this year

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Papi hasnt been exactly tearing it up himself...looks like father time might be knocking louder on his door this year

[/QUOTE]

He's not off to a huge start but not a bad start either - 782 OPS, 4 HR and 11 RBI in 20 games, 19 starts.  That's better than Miggy Cabrera, among others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Best Hitter I have ever seen.

Better than Jim Ed.  Better than Brett.  Better than Will The Thrill.  Better than Kirby.  Better than the Big Hurt.  Better than Phat Albert.  Better than Nomar and better than Manny. 

He's got a lifetime pass with me.  Hall of Famer and #34 up next to 27......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Nap has been great as expected.  Not sure why anyone would think the spot behind Ortiz would lack power.

David is on pace to get his usual 30 homers and 100 rbi's. Last night's homer put him in a  tie for the 22nd spot but he doesn't make the espn page for RBI's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe he should be getting "a lot more" Ortiz love.... let's try to keep it in perspective. The fans were not complaining, Ortiz was.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of fans have complained about a perceived lack of power behind Ortiz.

Napoli is not Manny Ramirez in the cleanup spot, but he gets the job done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of fans have complained about a perceived lack of power behind Ortiz.

Napoli is not Manny Ramirez in the cleanup spot, but he gets the job done.

[/QUOTE]

Nap doesn't have manny's medicine chest either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Naps is offering good protection.  That's a non-issue.

Last year the first 5 slots carried us and now the first 3 slots are non-existent.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to compute that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeaah ... maybe ... but, you have noticed over the past decade or so that David, like many sluggers, tends to start luke warm and heat up as his timing and the weather improve.  Right?  Maybe you noticed that?  He has had significantly colder starts in his very best years.  And, I don't see what is so bad about his start anyway.  His power is already there, which usually takes a little while to start popping.  He is not red hot, but he is seeing the ball pretty good, .275 is .275.  Talking father time catching up, at this juncture, is just more of the hilarious agenda some people carry around to write Big papi's epitpah and diminish his significance.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Better than Jim Ed.  Better than Brett.  Better than Will The Thrill.  Better than Kirby.  Better than the Big Hurt.  Better than Phat Albert.  Better than Nomar and better than Manny. 

[/QUOTE]

With his whispers, that won't be so easy. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeaah ... maybe ... but, you have noticed over the past decade or so that David, like many sluggers, tends to start luke warm and heat up as his timing and the weather improve.  Right?  Maybe you noticed that?  He has had significantly colder starts in his very best years.  And, I don't see what is so bad about his start anyway.  His power is already there, which usually takes a little while to start popping.  He is not red hot, but he is seeing the ball pretty good, .275 is .275.  Talking father time catching up, at this juncture, is just more of the hilarious agenda some people carry around to write Big papi's epitpah and diminish his significance.  

[/QUOTE]

no, he is hitting .256 but you are right that he is heating up.  The espn guys were talking about his .230 something average.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

no, he is hitting .256 but you are right that he is heating up.  The espn guys were talking about his .230 something average.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ha.  Well, speaks to the meaningless of averages and such at this juncture of the season.  SSSitis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ha.  Well, speaks to the meaningless of averages and such at this juncture of the season.  SSSitis.

[/QUOTE]

the stat I like is risp and rbi's.   I find myself checking the risp more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

Nap has been great as expected.  Not sure why anyone would think the spot behind Ortiz would lack power.

David is on pace to get his usual 30 homers and 100 rbi's. Last night's homer put him in a  tie for the 22nd spot but he doesn't make the espn page for RBI's.

[/QUOTE]

Well not quite. His RBI pace is really in the 80s right now. But considering the cold weather and the fact that he's had a bit of bad luck bombs that were stolen or knocked down because of the weather that would have been homers or extra-base hits, I'm to too concerned.

As you stated, sluggers often start slow then heat up as the weather warms. And my expectations for aren't quite as high. I think he's capable of 30-100 and even a .300 average. But if he finishes 25 HR, 90 to 95 RBI and .270-plus BA, I'll be happy. 

The big thing Ortiz and others need to do is starting hitting better w/RISP. Ortiz is just .176 right now w/RISP. I'm sure that will get better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well not quite. His RBI pace is really in the 80s right now. But considering the cold weather and the fact that he's had a bit of bad luck bombs that were stolen or knocked down because of the weather that would have been homers or extra-base hits, I'm to too concerned.

As you stated, sluggers often start slow then heat up as the weather warms. And my expectations for aren't quite as high. I think he's capable of 30-100 and even a .300 average. But if he finishes 25 HR, 90 to 95 RBI and .270-plus BA, I'll be happy. 

The big thing Ortiz and others need to do is starting hitting better w/RISP. Ortiz is just .176 right now w/RISP. I'm sure that will get better.

[/QUOTE]

I had not checked his risp average but I think that got better as last season went on.  Big night tonight

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

It would be great news if Papi were only having a slow start... What worries me is that he seems overweight comparing to last year slenderness, that he might  not be playing the role of leader of the team, that his mind might be more on retiring with a 2years contract and 3rd ring in his fingers, that he is not aiming at the green monster as before... And that age is knocking at the door...would love to say in a few days that it was just a false alarm...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

the stat I like is risp and rbi's.   I find myself checking the risp more.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I like those stats as well.  Much better performance indicators, as far as straight ahead formulas go, than average of course.  But, even with those, hard to take a less-than-one-month sample suize and applky much weight to it.  One or two games can completely shift the story those numbers tell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I like SLG%, OPA (SEPARATELY!) and RBI for someone like Ortiz

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

sorry not OPA, OBA or OBP (on base of course)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With his whispers, that won't be so easy. 

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention there is this guy named Pedro who is headed to the HOF next year, so 45 will probably be the next number retired.