Well...The Yankees just got even OLDER!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Well...The Yankees just got even OLDER!

The Angels and Yankees are discussing a trade involving Vernon Wells and a deal could be done today, sources tell Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com categorized the talks as serious (on Twitter). Passan however tweeted one important caveat: Wells has a no-trade clause and it is uncertain whether he would waive it for the Yankees. A source tells ESPN.com's Buster Olney there is a "strong chance" the deal happens as Wells is said by a teammate to be excited about the possibility of joining the Yankees (via Twitter). 

Wells is owed $42MM over the next two years and Passan tweeted the Yankees will receive some money in the deal, but the amount is not nearly as significant as one might think. The New York Post's Joel Sherman suspects the Angels will need to eat $34MM and that, along with the no-trade clause, will require more time before a trade can be finalized (Twitter links).

Last month, it was reported the Yankees were not expected to deal for Wells. But with Curtis GrandersonMark Teixeira and Derek Jeter expected to start the season on the disabled list, their need for Wells' bat has increased with the 34-year-old likely becoming the everyday left fielder.

Wells has enjoyed a strong spring batting .361 (13-for-36) with four home runs and 11 RBIs.

4:20pm: A source tells Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News the trade could be done as early as tonight, but Wells will be a Yankee by tomorrow. (Twitter) Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets the deal still needs MLB approval and possibly a physical.

I am suprised they didn't try and go after Soriano. He may have cost them more money, but I think the prodution offensively Soriano would give them over Wells would of made it worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Well...The Yankees just got even OLDER!

Soriano makes less money than Wells...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

A blow-out patch until Granderson returns. The Yankees could do much worse, a good club house guy who can still play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

A blow-out patch until Granderson returns. The Yankees could do much worse, a good club house guy who can still play.

any word on what their giving up?? must be decent if the angels are eating most of the dollars..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

any word on what their giving up?? must be decent if the angels are eating most of the dollars..

Nothing yet.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Juan Rivera.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Soriano makes less money than Wells...

Yeah but you would have to assume that the Cubs wouldn't be willing to eat as much of Soriano's deal as the Angels are willing to eat of Wells deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Cashman : This wasn’t my idea.

Levine: This wasn’t my idea

Hank:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Cashman : This wasn’t my idea.

Levine: This wasn’t my idea

Hank:

Hank is drinking again, and had no comment.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Seems Sox and Yankees only think 35+ year olds are the answer to a teams woes. Sad.

you do know the sox only have 4 players who are 35 or older right? of those 4, 1 is a backup catcher, 1 is arguably the best non-closing reliever in the game, 1 is the greatest DH of all time and greatest active DH and the other is Dempster. The sox are hardly an old team. the yankees on the other hand....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

You do know all of them were signed this winter.... 

how is that relevent?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Although I'm a true Sox fan and have never been a Yankee lover, I must admit that I've always had a deep respect for Yankee tradition....Mantle, Maris, Berra, Skowron, Posada, Pettite, Rivera etc., etc.  

I'm not young, but I don't think I've ever seen the transitional age experience that the Yankees are going through now.  It must be really difficult for Yankee fans.

Although I'm your enemy, I wish you well. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Seems Sox and Yankees only think 35+ year olds are the answer to a teams woes. Sad.

you do know the sox only have 4 players who are 35 or older right? of those 4, 1 is a backup catcher, 1 is arguably the best non-closing reliever in the game, 1 is the greatest DH of all time and greatest active DH and the other is Dempster. The sox are hardly an old team. the yankees on the other hand....

The Yankees look pretty bad; now if only the RS can finish ahead of them....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Vernon Wells is past his prime and has been dealing with injuries.  The Yankees are better off bringing back David Wells instead.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Still a tall order.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Actually, the Yankees got younger without ARod and Jeter on opening day.  If Soriano did not return, they were going to be pretty young team. LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Still a tall order.

It appears to be a battle for 4th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its gonna be a close race in the ALE...Sorry, but I dont count the NYY out no matter what happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

You do know all of them were signed this winter.... 

how is that relevent?

Because the team has turned to 35 year olds to compete... how is it not relevant?

the alternative was?.........

overpaying younger players for 5+ years. NTY.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It is still $13M+/2, and Grandy is only out for about 5-6 weeks.  Seems like a lot of money.