We're in some trouble here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

We're in some trouble here

Dice heading to the DL and Lackey's spot in the rotation being taken by Wake? This is very bad. Many said at the beginning of the season that this teams achilles heal was it's starting pitching depth. Now Bowden will have to come up or Theo will have to trade. Not to detract from last night's win but this is troubling news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Re: We're in some trouble here

Why not Aceves for a spot start? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

STARTING WAKEFIELD IS LIKE SAYING...HERE, BALTIMORE, THIS
    GAME IS YOURS. WE OWE YOU ONE.  RIDICULOUS OF COURSE,
    BUT BALTIMORE IS A TEAM THAT CAN HIT, AND THEY WILL 
    ADJUST TO WAKE QUICKLY. MAYBE HE CAN FOOL THEM FOR
    AN INNING OR TWO, BUT BY THE 4TH OR 5TH, THEY WILL HAVE
    SCORED A MINIMUM OF 3-4 RUNS, AND AGAINST BRITTON,
    THEIR STARTER, WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO REPEAT LAST NITE.
    ON OUR SIDE IS THE FACT THAT THEY DEPLETED THEIR PEN
    TO SOME DEGREE, BUT I SIMPLY DO NOT TRUST WAKE. WE
    WILL HAVE TO BRING UP BOWDEN OR DOUBRONT...WHICH WILL
    STILL BE AT LEAST AS EFFECTIVE AS LACKEY HAS BEEN. I 
    AGREE WITH THE POSTER THAT THE LACKEY INEFFECTIVENESS
    HAS BEEN TROUBLING....FOR A GUY WE PAID $60 MILLION FOR.
    I UNDERSTAND HIS PERSONAL PROBLEMS, BUT IN PURE 
    PITCHING TERMS, ON WHICH HE IS FINALLY JUDGED, HE HAS
    BEEN SORELY LACKING [ NOT TO MAKE A PUN ON THE NAME ].

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Dice heading to the DL

??????????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Didn't see that on the Internet.  That could be the assumption, though.

In which case, Wake takes Lackey's place and Aceves takes Dice-K's.  It could be worse. This kid Aceves has the goods.

Theo has already gone on record that he will not deal for a front-line pitcher at the deadline.  In large part, the team that we have is the team that we have.

Barring a debilitating or season-ending injury, I don't see any trades being made therefore. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

It wasn't exactly a joyride up to this point with either Lackey or Dice-K.

Are the Sox really in any worse ship today with (potentially) both on the DL?

Will Bowden (or any other Pawtucket pitcher) be worse than a combined 6.66 era?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

where is the dice annoucement?  linky?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

This is why the Sox like to have as many as 8-10 starters who can pitch in the Majors at the beginning of the year.  Pitchers get hurt.  Depth is important.  I am not too worried about the Sox because the two in question are the #4 and 5 starters.  If it were Lester and Beckett, then I would think the Sox were in a little trouble.  But even then, they will both possibly miss starts during the season anyway.  It is the nature of the game, the position.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: We're in some trouble here:
    I completely disagree. It's about time Wake takes his spot back and provides a boost and the value he brings. As if you are enjoying Dice Bust and Lackey right now?  Please. Wake is known for going on streaks, so why not give him starts he deserves where he's most effective? Just because he doesn't make 15+ million per year, doesn't mean he cannot help the rotation and team.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I'm with you RW.  All things are relative.  No, I don't feel supreme confidence with Wake taking the hill, but certainly more confident than Lackey getting the ball.  Wake at least has the potential to twirl ... no, flutter a gem on any given night.  I'm not sure Lackey has any plus pitches anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

It would also be super cool if somehow Wake could break Clemens/Cy Young BoSox wins record this year.  He got robbed in several starts last year and one this year.  We owe him some victories.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: We're in some trouble here : I'm with you RW.  All things are relative.  No, I don't feel supreme confidence with Wake taking the hill, but certainly more confident than Lackey getting the ball.  Wake at least has the potential to twirl ... no, flutter a gem on any given night.  I'm not sure Lackey has any plus pitches anymore.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

What's mystifying about Lackey is that after he had those first two horrible starts, he had three consecutive starts where he combined for 20 IP and 3 ER (1.35 ERA) before falling apart again.

So I think he has the stuff if healthy. The question is -- how healthy is he physically or mentally?

We'll see in 15 days, I guess.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: We're in some trouble here : What's mystifying about Lackey is that after he had those first two horrible starts, he had three consecutive starts where he combined for 20 IP and 3 ER (1.35 ERA) before falling apart again. So I think he has the stuff if healthy. The question is -- how healthy is he physically or mentally? We'll see in 15 days, I guess.

Posted by royf19

I don't think anyone can be mystified by lackey. He is what he was before he came to the sawx. A pitcher who only won more than 14 games once in his career despite pitching for a team that dominated their division, a division which has some pretty pitcher friendly parks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: We're in some trouble here : What's mystifying about Lackey is that after he had those first two horrible starts, he had three consecutive starts where he combined for 20 IP and 3 ER (1.35 ERA) before falling apart again. So I think he has the stuff if healthy. The question is -- how healthy is he physically or mentally? We'll see in 15 days, I guess.
    Posted by royf19

I think that the problem is loss of velocity.  Without serious cheese, and without any nasty breaking stuff or change-up (which i don't think he has ever really had), he has to rely on pinpoint control.  And that comes and goes for John.  I am not convinced he has much stuff.  But, I do think, at his best, he is a smart, experienced pitcher who knows what to do.  But he is not Maddoxian in his control.  he has to have it.  maybe his wife's health is affecting his focus, which surely would be affecting his control.  i don't know.  I just think his whole enchilada is his ability to paint now.  And he is inconsistent with his ability to do this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Tazawa getting his first rehab start tonight at Salem.  Without a setback, he could be ready in 3 to 4 weeks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from orlostguy. Show orlostguy's posts

Ok so Lackey is down and possibly Dice.  So now we move forward for a while with other pitchers and get a good look. Hitting is coming around it seems and the team seems to be gelling a bit (What a great comeback last night!!!)

Not sure about Wakefield.  I've enjoyed what he has brought to the team but also have been in agony watching him pitch. Sometimes that ball looks like a beachball up there to hitters.

I know it seemed like it was all about "Off with their heads!" a few weeks ago but the reality is baseball is the LONG SEASON. A lot of things will happen in between. Sure it's fun to speculate and question moves but c'mon it's like this every season. Enjoy the ride!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The source for this speculation is Peter Abraham who is a unique beat writer in that he tends to want to often create drama whether it really exists or not. Usually reserved for opinion columnists but here is the section from his latest musings...

Then there is Daisuke Matsuzaka, who last night seemed unwilling to throw his fastball or "let it go," as Terry Francona described it.

Since he tweaked his elbow on April 29, Matsuzaka has been awful (11.1 IP, 13 H, 11 ER, 10 BB, 6 K) in three appearances. Said Francona: “We’re going to sit and talk to him a little bit to try and figure out more what’s going on because it didn’t look completely right."

According to my Francona translation dictionary that means, "There's a fairly good chance he could be going on the DL soon, too."

So there you have it, it couldn't be that they want to sit down and talk about approach or check and see if the line drive off of his chest from the first batter hampered him, sitting down and talking a bit translates into going on the DL.

Thank goodness for Peter's dictionary, I would have thought they wanted to talk to Dice-K about his approach in the last three starts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Correct FiveKatz,  perfect example of "He didn't not say that, so it must be that." rear view mirror speak.

Sections
Shortcuts