West Coast trip

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

West Coast trip

A roller coaster ride. Lots of ups and downs. All in all, a 5-5 record is acceptable. In today's finale, Farrell went a little too long with Workman. Understandable, since  he had pitched very well and Farrell wanted to give him a chance. However, the no hitter was gone, he was over a hundred pitches and his velocity was down at least five mph. After that, it was going to be tough. When you blow a lead late on the road, it is difficult to come back. Apparently , Farrell wanted to stay away from Tazawa and save Bailey for a possible save situation. A couple of tough losses in winnable games, but all things considered, we broke even on the trip. I would have taken that from the start. Four days rest. Come back strong. The AL East is ours for the taking. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: West Coast trip

So does this mean your predictiion of a poor trip based upon the "devastating" loss and the long after affects it would have was wrong??????Sealed

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

So does this mean your predictiion of a poor trip based upon the "devastating" loss and the long after affects it would have was wrong??????Sealed

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

I did not predict that. I said , let's see what happens on the rest of the trip. I did not expect long term negative effects. I still think that there were short term effects.  I think they did a good job of snapping out of it. I also think that blowing a four run lead in the ninth is somewhat "devastating ". 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm glad it's the All-Star break because the Rays have been red-hot.  They need to cool off during the break.   LOL

• The Rays won for the 14th time in 16 games.
    • The Rays finished their homestand at 9-1. 
    • The Rays recorded their 15th straight quality start

I'm glad that the west coast trip is over.  The Red Sox still have a 2.5-game lead over the Rays. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'm glad it's the All-Star break because the Rays have been red-hot.  They need to cool off during the break.   LOL

I'm glad that the west coast trip is over.  The Red Sox still have a 2.5-game lead over the Rays. 

Of course the Rays have been playing the Astros, Twins and White Sox.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

All in all, this was a successful if unspectacular trip. We absolutely need another high quality arm for the bullpen. And Breakholtz needs to get back in the rotation. If that happens we stand a good chance of winning the ALE.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A roller coaster ride. Lots of ups and downs. All in all, a 5-5 record is acceptable. In today's finale, Farrell went a little too long with Workman. Understandable, since  he had pitched very well and Farrell wanted to give him a chance. However, the no hitter was gone, he was over a hundred pitches and his velocity was down at least five mph. After that, it was going to be tough. When you blow a lead late on the road, it is difficult to come back. Apparently , Farrell wanted to stay away from Tazawa and save Bailey for a possible save situation. A couple of tough losses in winnable games, but all things considered, we broke even on the trip. I would have taken that from the start. Four days rest. Come back strong. The AL East is ours for the taking. 

Very productive road trip. Workman is no fluke and should be starting on a regular basis. I think Farrell agrees, but will go day-at-a-time with that. Good stretch coming up, because other AL east teams have very tough roads to travel. Was Napoli's "off day" indicatative of;  more to come? I hope so; at least until he shows some signs of snapping out of it. Three strikeouts/every 2 games is hard to compensate for. Iggy is exhausted. We'll see if this stretch of off days will get him back in stride (at the plate). How did the brass get this Holt guy. He's young, has had just enough major League experience to be worthwhile, and is definatley a pro.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

The Rays have a rough stretch ahead. The road trip got us a new starter; all is well!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course the Rays have been playing the Astros, Twins and White Sox.

[/QUOTE]

You're right fizsh  Laughing

But at least the Rays did what they're suppose to do--beat up the weak teams and take advantage of the easy schedule. 

The Yankees lost two out of three to the lowly Twins at home.  If the Yankees had swept the Twins then they would have gained two games on the Red Sox in the past three days. 

The Rays' pitchers are getting healthy and better.  So I hope they cool off during the All-Star break.   LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Rays have a rough stretch ahead. The road trip got us a new starter; all is well!

[/QUOTE]

Hello bosoxmal   Laughing

After the All-Star break, I think the Rays begin a ten-game road trip vs. AL East opponents. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

5-5 was exactly what I predicted before this roller coaster started, but honestly it could have easily been 7-3 or 8-2. I'll take it, but the bad thing was TB played a totally hapless Astros team at the break. We were very lucky they snuck one in Friday night, or else we'd be 1.5 instead of 2.5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

5-5 was exactly what I predicted before this roller coaster started, but honestly it could have easily been 7-3 or 8-2. I'll take it, but the bad thing was TB played a totally hapless Astros team at the break. We were very lucky they snuck one in Friday night, or else we'd be 1.5 instead of 2.5.

The road trip could have easily have gone 3-7 in light of the fact that the Red Sox twice had to come back from 5-1 deficits to win games.

I am impressed with the Red Sox and their 5-5 West Coast road trip.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]5-5 was exactly what I predicted before this roller coaster started, but honestly it could have easily been 7-3 or 8-2. I'll take it, but the bad thing was TB played a totally hapless Astros team at the break. We were very lucky they snuck one in Friday night, or else we'd be 1.5 instead of 2.5.

The road trip could have easily have gone 3-7 in light of the fact that the Red Sox twice had to come back from 5-1 deficits to win games.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I was a bit worried at a couple points on this trip, but this team bounced back nicely. They showed real character, something I am not usually that concerned about.

It would have been great to win today for the kid, but we hung tough and showed we will fight to the last out of the last game.

I'm very happy with where we are at the break.

7 teams are definitely out of it: 

Houston

Miami

Milwaukee

Chicago Cubs

Chicago WS

Minnesota

Seattle (sorry hill)

Others may soon be out of it:

NY Mets

LA Angels

Toronto

San Diego

That's maybe 11  "sellars" come deadline time- maybe more (Philly? Colo? KC?).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]5-5 was exactly what I predicted before this roller coaster started, but honestly it could have easily been 7-3 or 8-2. I'll take it, but the bad thing was TB played a totally hapless Astros team at the break. We were very lucky they snuck one in Friday night, or else we'd be 1.5 instead of 2.5.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I was a bit worried at a couple points on this trip, but this team bounced back nicely. They showed real character, something I am not usually that concerned about.

It would have been great to win today for the kid, but we hung tough and showed we will fight to the last out of the last game.

I'm very happy with where we are at the break.

7 teams are definitely out of it: 

Houston

Miami

Milwaukee

Chicago Cubs

Chicago WS

Minnesota

Seattle (sorry hill)

Others may soon be out of it:

NY Mets

LA Angels

Toronto

San Diego

That's maybe 11  "sellars" come deadline time- maybe more (Philly? Colo? KC?).

[/QUOTE]

Don't apologize to Hill, he is a troll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

[QUOTE]

Very productive road trip. Workman is no fluke and should be starting on a regular basis. I think Farrell agrees, but will go day-at-a-time with that. Good stretch coming up, because other AL east teams have very tough roads to travel. Was Napoli's "off day" indicatative of;  more to come? I hope so; at least until he shows some signs of snapping out of it. Three strikeouts/every 2 games is hard to compensate for. Iggy is exhausted. We'll see if this stretch of off days will get him back in stride (at the plate). How did the brass get this Holt guy. He's young, has had just enough major League experience to be worthwhile, and is definatley a pro.

[/QUOTE]

Hey bosox,

They got Holt in the Hanrahan deal.

Joel Hanrahan/Brock Holt for Stolmy Pimental, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus and Mark Melancon

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'd have been much happier with the road trip if we could have pulled of that last game.

Out hit them nine to fire, 12 to 18 for total bases, RISP 2-11, 18 LOB.

We missed some opportunities. We had many more chances against Colon than I would have guessed.

The other guys erased a great outing by Workman just by following a single with a dinger.

A home run goes a long way .... in more ways than one.

We're tops in so many offensive categories that it strikes me as odd that we're tied for 12th overall in HR.

Still happy to be here!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was a fraid this road trip could end up being a test we failed. I'm happy with the results after a couple shaky moments.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm not at all disappointed with 5-5.

I think the Sox have played the West Coast teams 13  more times than the Rays. So it won't be long before they have to face The King and their improving offense and the Angels and their potent offense along with a couple of tough starters. The A's are not an easy touch--I like Donaldson and a couple of their relievers. 

In addition the Rays play 19 of their last 30 games of the season on the road including a west coast trip. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

I'd have been much happier with the road trip if we could have pulled of that last game.

We missed some opportunities. We had many more chances against Colon than I would have guessed.

The other guys erased a great outing by Workman just by following a single with a dinger.

We're tops in so many offensive categories that it strikes me as odd that we're tied for 12th overall in HR.

Still happy to be here!

By the same token, the Red Sox won Game 7 of the road trip despite being outhit 12 to 10, trailing in total bases 16 to 14, by going 7 of 12 with runners in scoring position (compared to their opponents' 5 of 12). I was there.

It all evens out.

Homeruns don't always translate into wins ... the Seattle Mariners are tied for second among the 30 MLB teams in homeruns, but enter the All Star break nine games below .500.

Still, an impressive road trip by the Red Sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the Red Sox going 5-5 on a West Coast trip is a huge positive.  how many times have we seen 2 win trips out there? 

really we should have been 6-4 but for angels 9th inning slaughter and every Red Sox fan on the planet knew that Workman should have been yanked the second he gave up that single to Crisp.  who knows...maybe we would have won that one too.

but i will take 5-5 West Coast trip every single time.

5 days off to catch our breaths, rest our arms, enjoy the family....then back at it for a surprisingly fun 2nd half. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boy, have you changed your tune.  After the Angels 9th inning comeback, you almost promised a disastrous road trip.  Your thinking at the time was the players would not be able to put that loss behind them because it was so catastrophic.  Nice call. 

And, course, you can't help but get in some digs at Farrell, who is only a key architect in the Sox winning ways this year. 

Still, it's good to see you semi-happy with the road trip given how little you seem to like this team--or should I say the manager? 

As for me, ignorant soul that I am, I couldn't be happier with this season.  Gone, for the most part, are the marquee players, and in their stead are guys who just want to win games. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Boy, have you changed your tune.  After the Angels 9th inning comeback, you almost promised a disastrous road trip.  Your thinking at the time was the players would not be able to put that loss behind them because it was so catastrophic.  Nice call. 

And, course, you can't help but get in some digs at Farrell, who is only a key architect in the Sox winning ways this year. 

Still, it's good to see you semi-happy with the road trip given how little you seem to like this team--or should I say the manager? 

As for me, ignorant soul that I am, I couldn't be happier with this season.  Gone, for the most part, are the marquee players, and in their stead are guys who just want to win games. 

[/QUOTE]

Max, I think thats why he started this thread. He knows we all think that. ;-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]I'd have been much happier with the road trip if we could have pulled of that last game.

Still happy to be here!

By the same token, the Red Sox won Game 7 of the road trip despite being outhit 12 to 10, trailing in total bases 16 to 14, by going 7 of 12 with runners in scoring position (compared to their opponents' 5 of 12). I was there.

It all evens out.

Homeruns don't always translate into wins ... the Seattle Mariners are tied for second among the 30 MLB teams in homeruns, but enter the All Star break nine games below .500.

Still, an impressive road trip by the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

hey Hill, i was going to talk to you in the chat during game 7 but it turns out you were actually there!

anyways, i was going to say how impressed i was with the M's. For a "poor offensive" team they really swung the bat well and grinded. it was one of my favorite series of the season. Let the "experts" say what they want but the M's are in a good spot. Going into the 2013 season they were in the same boat as the sox. Great farm with plenty of rising stars to bolster their team over the next few seasons and in rebuilding mode The only difference between the 2 teams besides their existing core was the willingness to spend money going into the season.. the Mariners are 1 hot streak away from being considered "in it". The Dodgers and Blue Jays were in similar situations being several games back and just played good baseball for a few weeks and went from sellers into buyers (the Jays have faded recently). Anyways, the point i am trying to make is that the M's are not nearly as bad as the baseball guys make them out to be. Great talent at the TOR but absolute bums (no offense) at the back end. Even the offense isn't bad. Pretty good mix of vets and young guys which will only help your team going forward (pending your vets set good examples Laughing). The moving of the fences also means that prominent FA sluggers won't run in terror of playing 88 games at SafeCo. Hopefully, as your prospects arive and the M's get better your owner will open the pocketbook for some FA talent to solidify their standing. Regardless of how this year ends, the M's have a bright future IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have always been the same. You don't have to like it. It is too bad that you have to use exaggerations to try and discredit me. For a life long Sox fan to be accused of hoping they lose and being happy if they do, it  is a reckless statement and totally uncalled for. If that is your style, so be it. I don't need it.  

Sections
Shortcuts