What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    I'd like to have seen you include Oswalt as an option.  The longer this goes on, the better it is for us, imo.  TX and StL likely won't sign him unless they move someone else, and that becomes more compliated as time winds down. Posted by Joebreidey

It is rumored that Oswalt does not really want to come to Boston. If that is true, then we are better off not signing him. I would rather see how Bard or Aceves do as starters. At least we know that they can handle pitching in the AL East.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

I could see Bowden being dealt also, but I'm not thinking we'll get much for him. I'm wondering if a two for one deal would make the decision easier, such as Doubront & Bowden for a better lefty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

padilla
    cook
    maine

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : The ALE is tougher, but he's performed at a very high level. IRT Wake, the problem is his name.  If you compared him to others, based on last year's stats, but didn't put up the names, he'd compare favorably.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Wakefield had a 1.358WHIP and a 1.98K/BB.

Pitcher B had a 1.425WHIP and a 1.79K/BB.

Yet if Ben had acquired Pitcher B, who put up these numbers in the AL West in a very expansive park in  Oakland, we'd all be ecstatic.

After all, who doesn't like Arizona's chances after picking up Trevor Cahill this off-season?

Or should the Sox try to replace Wakefield (5.12ERA / 1.358WHIP / 1.98K/BB) with Pitcher C (5.07ERA / 1.37WHIP / 2.4K/BB)?  Even though Pitcher C (Bronson Arroyo) put up those numbers in the National League?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : Wakefield had a 1.358WHIP and a 1.98K/BB. Pitcher B had a 1.425WHIP and a 1.79K/BB. Yet if Ben had acquired Pitcher B, who put up these numbers in the AL West in a very expansive park in  Oakland, we'd all be ecstatic. After all, who doesn't like Arizona's chances after picking up Trevor Cahill this off-season? Or should the Sox try to replace Wakefield (5.12ERA / 1.358WHIP / 1.98K/BB) with Pitcher C (5.07ERA / 1.37WHIP / 2.4K/BB)?  Even though Pitcher C (Bronson Arroyo) put up those numbers in the National League?
    Posted by notin

Don't forget Pitcher D (5.54 ERA/ 1.815/ 1.22 K/BB).
    The guy we are paying over $1M after putting up those numbers last year

(His 3 previous season total: 5.89/1.732/1.34)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Not considering, injuries, trades, and my uncertainty as to contracts allowing for out clauses. I think Doubront, Bowden and Cook will go north with the Club. Padilla could make it in the bullpen. I don’t believe Silva or Miller will be around after spring training.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not considering, injuries, trades, and my uncertainty as to contracts allowing for out clauses. I think Doubront, Bowden and Cook will go north with the Club. Padilla could make it in the bullpen. I don’t believe Silva or Miller will be around after spring training.
    Posted by Thomasmtom

Miller will have to really shine to make it. His $1.04M deal is not guaranteed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : Miller will have to really shine to make it. His $1.04M deal is not guaranteed.
    Posted by moonslav59

He might not have to be anything much more than a LOOGY.  $1M is not much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : He might not have to be anything much more than a LOOGY.  $1M is not much.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Yeah, it's only about a $500-600K savings if we replace him with a minor leaguer on the 40 man roster, but unless he turns things aroung (not likely), he shouldn't make the team.

As I have pointed out several times before, most of our RH'd relievers have excellent records vs LHBs, so the need to let a poor pitcher make the big club just because he is a lefty makes little sense to me. Also, I think Morales & Doubront will do fine this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : The thought of both Bard and Aceves moving to the rotation makes me very uneasy.  It's quite possible that both do very well, but IMO, it involves too much risk, similar to trying to fill 2 rotation spots with rookies.  I  really hope at least one them remains in the pen.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Kind of reminds one of Colon and Garcia for the Yankees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If the decision had already been made, then the question wouldn't have been raised

Opinion is not mindless speculation, dimwit. The decision isn't going to be made until a competition is held. 

Nice to see you specify in detail the answer to a solicitation for speculation. Needless to say, those who waste time speculating on who will be the last 3 slots for opending day staff will be wrong. And even if someone guesses correctly, who cares!

The most important issue is whether it is a true competition for those slots. And if Wastefield is not welfared a contract, it will be the first pure competition for lower end pitching roster spots in many years!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Nice to see the usual cast of drones is making the case to offer Tim Wastefield, Player X, a contract. Remember, Player X was that fiasco mid 40's fat guy with the bald head, who was chasing some cumaltive record and virtually guranteeing the team losses in the 2nd half of the season. But, sure, let's let him have his squat roster entitlement spot back when no other team wants anything to do with this loser.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Nice to see the usual cast of drones is making the case to offer Tim Wastefield, Player X, a contract. Remember, Player X was that fiasco mid 40's fat guy with the bald head, who was chasing some cumaltive record and virtually guranteeing the team losses in the 2nd half of the season. But, sure, let's let him have his squat roster entitlement spot back when no other team wants anything to do with this loser.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Have you considered medical attention?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Cook, if healthy through ST, is leading candidate for #5 starter. 

Tazawa and Doubrant in the pen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cook, if healthy through ST, is leading candidate for #5 starter.  Tazawa and Doubrant in the pen.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

I think you may be right. I like Tazawa, but I think he may start in AAA, because he has options left. I'd rather see Doubront win a starting slot, so Bard and Aceves will end up in the pen, but I think one of Bard or Aceves makes the rotation.

I'm torn between 3 factors:

My hope    Tweener   Most likely (practical)
    SP1  Beckett   Beckett  Beckett
    SP2  Lester     Lester     Lester
    SP3  Buch       Buch        Buch
    SP4  Cook*     Bard        Bard
    SP5  Doub       Cook       Doub
    SP6  Aceves   Aceves   Aceves

Clsr  Bailey     Bailey    Bailey
    R2    Bard        Melan     Melan
    R3    Melan      Morales Morales
    R4   Morales    Doub      Albers
    R5   Albers       Albers    Tazawa
    R6   Tazawa    Bowden  Bowden
      (Bowden traded)

*Cook could be beaten out by Padilla, Miller or Mortensen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I like the "tweener" rotation.  I really believe that if Bard can make the transition to SP, that is where he can provide this team the most value, and with Bailey, Melancon and Aceves the Red Sox still have a formidable back end of the bullpen.  If the Red Sox decide Aceves is a better fit than Bard in the rotation, neither area suffers with Bard/Aceves swapping spots.

Now, if somehow the Red Sox can fill the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation with combination of Cook, Padilla, Miller, Mortenson, Doubrant, being able to have a bullpen with Bailey, Melancon, Aceves and Bard would be, at least in theory, a serious strength. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like the "tweener" rotation.  I really believe that if Bard can make the transition to SP, that is where he can provide this team the most value, and with Bailey, Melancon and Aceves the Red Sox still have a formidable back end of the bullpen.  

"My hope" rotation was based on Cook or someone else shining in ST enough to force Bard and Aceves to the pen. I put the * next to Cook's name, but forgot to add the conditions. I agree that if Bard works as a starter, his value would be much better than as a set-up man, but he really has a strong history of being an excellent reliever, and our pen would be awesome like this:
    Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers & one of: Tazawa, Bowden or Doubront/Miller.

If the Red Sox decide Aceves is a better fit than Bard in the rotation, neither area suffers with Bard/Aceves swapping spots.

I think using Bard for about half a year as a starter and Aceves the other half might work out best for both of them. I seriously doubt either will excel with 30 starts and 180 IP.

Now, if somehow the Red Sox can fill the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation with combination of Cook, Padilla, Miller, Mortenson, Doubrant, being able to have a bullpen with Bailey, Melancon, Aceves and Bard would be, at least in theory, a serious strength. 

Exactly, but it's a big if, I know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So no one thinks Wilson has a shot at the fifth starter spot?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Have you considered medical attention?

No, but you certainly need mental health attention. Pretending that Tim Wakefield, a fat and bald 45 year old man with a 5 plus ERA for years and a loser's aura is worthy of a rotation spot is truly disturbed. Why not bring Koufax back out of retirement, as he would be far superior to Tim Wastefield. Excpet that Koufax respects MLB enough not to play beyond his best baseball. Wastefield is playing so that "people deserve to see me break an individual team record". Wastefield's carees is all about disasters not seen in the box score, and years of poor quality and high quantity for a cost of over 50 million dollars! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Bard has extra insentive as their is a huge opening in the #1 slot.... we have no Ace.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Competition is nice to have---it's been a couple of years since that has been the case. The problem is most of the pitching competition may be off the diamond as there just aren't enough innings to see all of what's there.

Ross and Sweeney
    Aviles, Punto and Iggy
    Salty, Shop and Lavarnway

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So no one thinks Wilson has a shot at the fifth starter spot?
    Posted by notin

I do. I have mentioned his name several times and included him in my lists for those competing for the 5th slot (and maybe 4th as well, if Bard stays in the pen).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts