what a difference a year or two makes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

what a difference a year or two makes

After watching tonight's thrilling 10th inning victory, I couldn't help but think:

September 20011 - collapse

September 2012 - dysfunctional

September 2013 - dedicated

And kudos to Farrell for his brilliant use of Koji in the bottom of the ninth inning with the score tied, as well as his shrewd move to pinch hit Karp for Gomes. 

Gotta give a little love to Drew for the ammazing defensive play at SS to get the 3rd out with three Rays on base and threatening.  Dempster should definitely buy him dinner at the very least.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Re: what a difference a year or two makes

I don't understand why there isn't enough love for this team like other teams. Not likeable? Come on it's a lot role players coming up big. Are we just still cautious because of past heartbreaks? On opening day, I said wouldn't it be great if we reversed 69-93 to 93-69. Looks like it will be more. Have we just become spoiled and expect to be one of the best every year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

I don't understand why there isn't enough love for this team like other teams. Not likeable? Come on it's a lot role players coming up big. Are we just still cautious because of past heartbreaks? On opening day, I said wouldn't it be great if we reversed 69-93 to 93-69. Looks like it will be more. Have we just become spoiled and expect to be one of the best every year?

I'd have thought 2004 and 2007 would've killed the cautiousness.  We're good, and hopefully WS good.

I'm also not sure why we can't just root for the RS like we did when we were kids, and why everything has to be so contentious for some of the posters.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm also not sure why we can't just root for the RS like we did when we were kids, and why everything has to be so contentious for some of the posters.

Heaven forbid someone gets excited about this team, without another poster listing a litany of flaws.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'd have thought 2004 and 2007 would've killed the cautiousness.  We're good, and hopefully WS good.

I have no idea where you two are coming from.  There is a lot of love for this team.  There will always be some people who are negative about the team.  And apparently some people, like you, who will be  negative about the people being negative about the team.  I guess now there's also me being negative about the people being negative about the people being negative about the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I have no idea where you two are coming from.  There is a lot of love for this team.  There will always be some people who are negative about the team.  And apparently some people, like you, who will be  negative about the people being negative about the team.  I guess now there's also me being negative about the people being negative about the people being negative about the team.

LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I guess now there's also me being negative about the people being negative about the people being negative about the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't know about the rest of you, and how can I ?

Here is where my life as a baseball fan begins: 1967, Carl Yastrzemski , Jim Lonborg, Rico Petrocelli and the so- called "Cardiac Kids." ( because we always have nicknames for our winning teams, right?...Don Cherry's Bruins- "Lunchpail Gang...2004 Red Sox -"Idiots"). But along comes Bob Gibson ( probably the best pitcher on earth ) and the Dream is incomplete.....high hopes for 1968, and the Tigers have this guy named McClain who wins 30 games....we don't really get another sniff until 1975 ( we actually have some pitching!!!Tiant, Lee,Wise and Reggie Cleveland) but it's not quite enough to derail the Big Red Machine ( maybe the best team ever) . THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT EVER FOLLOWS IN 1978....NO DETAILS NEEDED. Another shot in 1986 goes south, because , again, uo against a behemoth and unstoppable force , Gary Carter and the NY Mets....forget Bill Buckner, leave the poor guy alone, for cryin' out loud!!!, if ever there was a team of destiny it was the Mets of '86....Dwight Gooden was not good, but Ron Darling was the new Bob Gibson. Then we go into what I like to refer to as the "dark ages" , the 90's...except for Mo Vaughn, nothing too much to be excited about, but quietly before the decade is over , we get this pitcher named Pedro and this SS named nomar, this GM named Duquette pulls highway robbery with Seattle and we get something lost since Fisk went away, an All Star calibre catcher and possibly one of the best sinkerball pitchers ever ( ideal for Fenway). 2004 , THE WAIT IS OVER. But, what happens, soon the negativity creeps back, Damon goes to the YANKEES, Manny becomes media target #1 and we get everyone hating the hand that fed us. Pedro is through...back to square one, almost. We still have Ortiz, Schilillng,Manny and there's this little guy named Pedroia. We get this super pitcher named Beckett , who is Bob Gibson in 2007. But then the negativity begins again....this dynasty that was, isn't...we were tricked into believing this was the beginning of an era, when it was the beginning of the end. The team in 2013 has so many band-aids on it it looks like a kid that fell off his bike too many times....but we want to be positive, because they play like the Big Red Machine. Clay Buchholz is Bob Gibson, but he got hurt....now he's okay ( the drama goes on day to day with ups and downs ...but thankfully no chicken and beer stories!)...this guy Lackey that we were taught to hate ( by the media) is now a hero.

What are we supposed to do ?...love 'em or hate 'em....one day the media is touting them as the best team ever, lose 3 in row and they stink, Cherrington is a flop and we damn better get some pitching!!!

My head spins with all the twist and turns, Shakespeare would love this team....hey maybe that's our new nickname..."The Taming Of The Crew."

I'm going to be positive for a change ( although it's against everything I believe in), because I do like this team, however the memories of 1968, 1978, 1986, the early 90's, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2012 are big clouds on th horizon...do I dare to dream?....hath this baseball fan a chance, to dream perchance to celebrate, Hark I hear the sound of negativity in yonder room....

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment: Sorry if I'm coming off as negative. I guess I was looking at attendence and the usual angst and whining of our fan base. Have we become complacent? Probably not.  I'd love to win it all every year. I agree that most people have been so positive this year. Why not us. I didn't post a lot in July because my mother was in the hospital for a while. (She's OK now). When I got back to posting we had slipped to 2nd. I have been on here for almost 5 years and from my posts I don't consider myself negative or insulting. I also try to be very objective and not a homer. (I'm even nice to Softlaw) I think just about all of us are pleasantly surpised they have 89 wins after 147 games. Win or lose in the playoffs, this has been a fun year. Surprising like 1990 and 1995.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The team in 2013 has so many band-aids on it it looks like a kid that fell off his bike too many times....but we want to be positive, because they play like the Big Red Machine. Clay Buchholz is Bob Gibson, but he got hurt....now he's okay ( the drama goes on day to day with ups and downs ...but thankfully no chicken and beer stories!)...this guy Lackey that we were taught to hate ( by the media) is now a hero.

What are we supposed to do ?...love 'em or hate 'em....one day the media is touting them as the best team ever, lose 3 in row and they stink, Cherrington is a flop and we damn better get some pitching!!!

My head spins with all the twist and turns, 

1-2013 does not have a lot of bandaids.  We have a good team, with a lot of good players.

2-You weren't 'taught' to hate Lackey.  You decided that yourself.

3-Your head should not be spinning.  Don't listen to the media.  Think for yourself.

4-And, in the end, you're probably best off not thinking.  When I see a nice sunset, I'm not filled with thoughts of its imperfections.  I don't look at a Faberge product trying to figure out its flaws.  I don't allow the media to tell me whether or not I should enjoy the Avengers.  I just do.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts