What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball

HI!

Apparently Bud Selig needs to step down as BC, he
    is messing up with our National pastime.... Today was supposed
    to be a great day  in America, but Selig ruined the day. Most
    of the people in America didn't even know that today was the
    opening day in baseball. In fact, I don't even know who won
    the lackluster game this morning between the Lowly A'S and
    the terribles Seattle Mariners.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball

Montero was 0-4. chopper to third, looper to right center with a runner on second, caught by the right fielder, grounder to short with two on, two out, and fly ball to pretty deep right center, caught by Cespedes.  Montero hit it well but got under the ball far too much.  Montero is 0-11 in Japan, counting the two exhibitions games, and 4 for his last 29, counting preseason.  What a bust! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball:
    [QUOTE]Montero was 0-4. chopper to third, looper to right center with a runner on second, caught by the right fielder, grounder to short with two on, two out, and fly ball to pretty deep right center, caught by Cespedes.  Montero hit it well but got under the ball far too much.  Montero is 0-11 in Japan, counting the two exhibitions games, and 4 for his last 29, counting preseason.  What a bust! 
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

So was Pedroia  in his first 2 months in MLB. Give it time before categorizing anyone PLEASE.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]
    Thanks calzone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball:
    [QUOTE]HI! Apparently Bud Selig needs to step down as BC, he is messing up with our National pastime.... Today was supposed to be a great day  in America, but Selig ruined the day. Most of the people in America didn't even know that today was the opening day in baseball. In fact, I don't even know who won the lackluster game this morning between the Lowly A'S and the terribles Seattle Mariners.
    Posted by BenitoMyHero[/QUOTE]

I too thought it was an exhibition game. I think the Mariners won 3-1 in 11 innings. I know the different sports play overseas to create new money streams, but I wonder if it really is worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball :   I too thought it was an exhibition game. I think the Mariners won 3-1 in 11 innings. I know the different sports play overseas to create new money streams, but I wonder if it really is worth it.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

What about the rating ? ESPN is asking for a refund.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball : What about the rating ? ESPN is asking for a refund.

I think the game was on MLB network, ESPN probably had higher ratings re-running their sports-center for the tenth time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball :    I think the game was on MLB network, ESPN probably had higher ratings re-running their sports-center for the tenth time.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Well, I am glad for ESPN.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball:
    [QUOTE]HI! Apparently Bud Selig needs to step down as BC, he is messing up with our National pastime.... Today was supposed to be a great day  in America, but Selig ruined the day. Most of the people in America didn't even know that today was the opening day in baseball. In fact, I don't even know who won the lackluster game this morning between the Lowly A'S and the terribles Seattle Mariners.
    History has shown that teams that open in Japan tend to have slow starts in the ensuing MLB games, which is probably why MLB played it safe this year by sending two clubs that are not expected to contend this year.

After Seattle and Oakland play again in Toyko on Thursday, the Mariners return to Arizona for five more Cactus League games before resuming regular-season play against the A's on April 6.

I slept through my alarm at 3 am PDT this morning, but caught the last five innings of Seattle's 3-1 win on radio.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Ichiro with 4 hits today.Between Japan and the MLB Ichiro has around 3700 hits and should be floating around 3900 by the end of this season. Obviously it can not be measured the same way but give him until 40, while combining here and Japan, and he should eclipse Rose's 4256 hits.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball : but I wonder if it really is worth it. I'm not sure whose POV you are refering to granted it's a very strange schedule 4 the players but I do believe most enjoy the trip if 4 no other reason than to get out of some ST the OP appears not to realize   that this is the 4th time mlb has done this inc yanks vs TB 04 and sox vs A's in 08 but this yr a  case could be made that's it's worth a tad more MLB and the players' association said the series also will aim to assist rebuilding in Japan following last year's earthquake. On Tuesday, a group of players will travel to Ishinomaki in the disaster-hit northeast region to conduct a baseball clinic.
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    The players made the visit to Ishinomaki on Tuesday:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2017852180_tsunami28.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball : History has shown that teams that open in Japan tend to have slow starts in the ensuing MLB games, which is probably why MLB played it safe this year by sending two clubs that are not expected to contend this year. After Seattle and Oakland play again in Toyko on Thursday, the Mariners return to Arizona for five more Cactus League games before resuming regular-season play against the A's on April 6. I slept through my alarm at 3 am PDT this morning, but caught the last five innings of Seattle's 3-1 win on radio.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

wait wait wait. so not only did the MLB season start today in japan, but the teams who played in it are going back and playing more spring training games? that makes no sense at all.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball : wait wait wait. so not only did the MLB season start today in japan, but the teams who played in it are going back and playing more spring training games? that makes no sense at all.....
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]

I agree, this is very stupid... completely nonsense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

seriously!? selig must be going crazy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's crazy ... an isolated upside for the Seattle Mariners is that Felix Hernandez gets to start Game 1 and Game 3 of the regular season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]It's crazy ... an isolated upside for the Seattle Mariners is that Felix Hernandez gets to start Game 1 and Game 3 of the regular season.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

That's another Selig's blunder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Agree with everybody here; I could see playing exhibition games there now, but startin the season like this, a week before everyone else, is a marketing joke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Does anyone know why Selig and MLB did this? What is their side of the issue?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with everybody here; I could see playing exhibition games there now, but startin the season like this, a week before everyone else, is a marketing joke.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    Red Sox fans should recall the precedent.

In 2008 the defending World Series champion Red Sox opened the regular season on March 25-26 with two games against the Athletics at the Tokyo Dome, then played three exhibition games against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on March 28-30 before resuming regular-season play at Oakland on April 1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard?d=2008-03-25

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a Lackluster opening day in Baseball : Red Sox fans should recall the precedent. In 2008 the Red Sox opened the regular season on March 25-26 with two games against the Athletics at the Tokyo Dome, then played three exhibition games against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on March 28-30 before resuming regular-season play at Oakland on April 1. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard?d=2008-03-25 Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] It was stupid then too! Although atleast now they can fly nonstop from Logan!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Are you serious?

America doesn't even win the World Baseball Championships and people in a Red Sox forum are questioning MLB's decision to be in Japan?
    Y'all speak as though America has the sport of baseball "cornered" and "captured"...y'all need to realize the impact Hideki Matsui had on Yankee baseball in Japan. The impact Hideo Nomo had on Dodger baseball in Japan. The impact Junichi Tazawa had in Japan on August 17, 2009 when he faced Matsui at Yankee Stadium.

I can only shake my head as your short-sightedness disguises itself as a form of elite, entitled racism. I lived in the Northwest. Ichisan is a legend in Japan. The following he has of his countrymen in both his homeland AND in the Pacific Northwest is remarkable.

Someone here said this is a "marketing joke"...that's almost ridiculous. When considering the size of the fan base along the Asian rim I'd say the marketing initiative is spot-on.
    ...an MLB store in Tokyo.
    73 million fans attended baseball in the USA in 2011, where 312 million people live. In 2011, 20 million attended baseball games in Japan, where 126 million people live. do the math people.

Mazda Stadium in Hiroshima.

How does Daisuke Matsuzaka say "America runs on Dunkin'?"