What about Bogaerts in the Leadoff Spot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

What about Bogaerts in the Leadoff Spot?

What about putting him in the Leadoff spot? They're obviously not really worried about the speed aspect there with the fact they're putting Nava there, the kid seems very cool calm and collected, I know he's projected to be a middle of the lineup bat in the future but I see him more of a doubles guy, who's gonna have a pretty good OBP right now in the future he will probably be a middle of the order bat. So what about him in the leadoff spot instead of Nava until atleast Victirino comes back?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: What about Bogaerts in the Leadoff Spot?

I like it, I know some people might not but I do.  He knows how to hit, he knows hot to take pitches, he knows how to make pitchers work.  He's young, but he has a skill set that many hitters NEVER obtain in their careers.  He comes to the plate with a plan, and shows a level of patience at the plate that veterans hold. 

He might not be the prototypical leadoff hitter....but he might be one of the best options on this team.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I like this too in the abstract.  I would like to see him get his feet a little wetter in a less critical spot in the order before that though.  The kid is indeed incredibly skilled, poised, and really knows how to work an at bat.  But, I would hate to see any rookie swoon be exacerbated by the pressure of leadoff early in the season.  So, I guess my caveat is - if Boegarts is still knocking the ball in May, LETS DO IT!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What about putting him in the Leadoff spot? They're obviously not really worried about the speed aspect there with the fact they're putting Nava there, the kid seems very cool calm and collected, I know he's projected to be a middle of the lineup bat in the future but I see him more of a doubles guy, who's gonna have a pretty good OBP right now in the future he will probably be a middle of the order bat. So what about him in the leadoff spot instead of Nava until atleast Victirino comes back?

[/QUOTE]

I think you will see him eventually as JF figures out who the spot belongs to

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

He has many similarities to a young version of Jeter. When you watch his approach at the plate; before the pitch he kind of taps the bat for a warm up swing a la Jete. He wears Jeter's #2 and he goes with the pitch. Hopefully he will be half the player Jeter has been and we will have someone to lead us after Ortiz and Pedroia have retired.

Leadoff--2 or 3 would be fine with me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I don't know?  

I think this guy is going to tear it up no matter where he hits in the order.

I see him knocking in a good deal of runs this year in the middle of the order.  I like him better behind NAPS &  

PAPI?

Still, he'd make a hell of a leadoff hitter also!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Why not? I like the idea of moving bats around the line-up. Gives players a chance to face different situations and be more flexible and versatile. I think Bogaerts would benefit from the experience.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

He's a number three hitter. That said I do like the idea of him leading off. It'd be kind of brutal. The very first batter and the pitcher is getting worked and worked hard. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Might not be a bad move for now. As his power develops, would like to see him in more of an RBI spot. Sizemore and Bradley are possibilities along with Nava. Anyway, I don't like Gomes in the leadoff spot.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!! Enough of that nonsense. I do not want restrictions put on this guy; any  expectation, like "I'm supposed to get on base". NO. This guy can HIT. No shckles, please. No looking to get on base, Please! Let him hit! He'll hit for average, and power, if you leave him where he is. You don't put hitters like this in the lead of spot, NEVER. TW, Ruth, etc would be turning over in their grave. (Well, Ruth would)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Bogaerts is our #3 guy.  When Vic comes back, Vic-Pedey-Bogey-Papi-Nap-Size-Nava-AJ-Middy could be the lineup.  Bogey's more of RBI guy than R guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]This KID is/going to be FUN to watch..... The entire team is fun to watch Sizemore  too !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I was saying this a couple of days ago.  Bogy has more speed and a better eye than Nava or Gomes to leadoff every day.  Bogy, Grady and Shane are the obvious choices to lead of, not two platoon guys with no speed.  Maybe Bradley eventually but not yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

No no way. Dumb idea. Why you ask? Let him continue hitting .550 in the 5, 6, 7 spots. Low pressure. He will also have the potential to knock in a lot of runs deeper in the lineup.

This kid is a number #3 in a matter of months. Here's the lineup by end of the year...

Victorino 

Pedey

Boggy

Papi

Napoli

fill in the rest

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The lineup now is nothing like what it will be by midseason or the second half of the season IMO. Bogaerts could end up moving up. Middlebrooks could move up too if he hits like he did the last two months of last year or in 2012.

If Sizemore stays in the lineup, he might end up being leadoff. I think the lineup is a work in progress. Once Farrell sees how Victorino's and Sizemore's health is, how Bogaerts and Middlebrooks hit and whether or not Bradley ends up earning regular playing time, he'll make adjustments to the lineup. That will likely take the first two months of the season. 

Sections
Shortcuts