What about Gomes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

What about Gomes?

He's got RH power, is just about to turn 32, and takes a walk when needed.  Signed for 1 million for this season.  Oakland has just acquired Chris Young.  What would it take to get Gomes, and is he a good fit for the Sox, rather than paying the price for Ross or Swisher?  Stop gap to Brentz perhaps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: What about Gomes?

hunter and victorino for corner OF....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

He's got RH power, is just about to turn 32, and takes a walk when needed.  Signed for 1 million for this season.  Oakland has just acquired Chris Young.  What would it take to get Gomes, and is he a good fit for the Sox, rather than paying the price for Ross or Swisher?  Stop gap to Brentz perhaps.

He's absolutely out of his t*ts, so he'd be fun to have around, but he's about as brutal defensively as an outfielder can get.  Being a big believer in good defense, I'd say no thanks...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

No

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Didn't know about his defense.  But if he is inexpensive enough, could he be a DH/OF/PH guy?  Ortiz isn't getting younger, he may get injured again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Didn't know about his defense.  But if he is inexpensive enough, could he be a DH/OF/PH guy?  Ortiz isn't getting younger, he may get injured again.

My guess is Gomes isn't going to consider signing with a team that has the best DH in the game.  There has to be better opportunities out there for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Perhaps, but Billy Beane didn't think he was worth keeping.  Just saying.  Maybe he and his agent should take stock of that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Perhaps, but Billy Beane didn't think he was worth keeping.  Just saying.  Maybe he and his agent should take stock of that.

Actually, the A's sent his agent a contract offer as soon as the season ended.  They couldn't agree on a deal, so they then acquired Chris Young.  It looks like Baltimore is looking into Gomes...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Sure, sign another bench player. I'd take Sizemore over Gomes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And I woudl take Gomes over Sizemore.  At least Gomes plays baseball for his paychecks.  If both were healthy, yeah...Sizemore has a lot more talent than Gomes.  But Sizemore is NEVER healthy.  Besides, Sizemore is ANOTHER LHH OFer.  The Sox have enough of those, from Ells, Sweeney and Kalish, to several in the minors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Gomes wanted more money and or years than the A's were offering. A guy with his skillset should not be too picky

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Bump.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

BS calling time, for a puveyor of blathering bilge.

Tell the Board, right now, what you budget for the Gomes FA negotiations? 

I don't like Gomes except on the budget I just provided in detail. Gomes is coming off a near career high season in a part-time role. He's 32 years old and his median OPS average is nothing but career platoon material. Base 3 x 2 is my budget for the Gomes negotiations, who is likely to find a bug eyed incompetent GM who'll bid as high as base 8 to 10 x 2.

Gomes is just an example of how sorry big labor is during nearly every FA class market. Almost without exception, if a player is worth long and big base costs, he never makes it to the FA auction block.

I've detailed my flow chart on the platoon OF role for 2013, on the other Gomes thread.

I'm still trying to figure out what a "puveyor" is. 

I think I have a hit on my "pu" meter.

Who should I report it to?

btw, I suggested what I would offer on the more pertinent thread.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomes will only make 2-4M per and be a platoon player. BC has a bigger move/trade to go along with this...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

"Gomes suffered a heart attack on Christmas Eve 2002, the result of a clogged artery, despite being in playing condition (he reported having 8% body fat at the time). He ignored the symptoms for 27 hours, even sleeping through it one night, before going to the hospital after he briefly blacked out and stopped breathing. His doctors said he would not have survived a second night. As a result of the heart attack, the Rays' team doctor had to keep nitroglycerin pills on-hand in case Gomes suffered a second heart attack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Gomes

Now, I know you can get on with life after a heart attack but, isn't this a legit concern? I can see Ross/Gomes as a good tandem but, this medical issue, from what've read here, hasn't even been mentioned. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrbungle's comment:

"Gomes suffered a heart attack on Christmas Eve 2002, the result of a clogged artery, despite being in playing condition (he reported having 8% body fat at the time). He ignored the symptoms for 27 hours, even sleeping through it one night, before going to the hospital after he briefly blacked out and stopped breathing. His doctors said he would not have survived a second night. As a result of the heart attack, the Rays' team doctor had to keep nitroglycerin pills on-hand in case Gomes suffered a second heart attack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Gomes

Now, I know you can get on with life after a heart attack but, isn't this a legit concern? I can see Ross/Gomes as a good tandem but, this medical issue, from what've read here, hasn't even been mentioned. 

I remember that, as i lived in St Pete at the time.

Its been over 10 years. I dont think theres anything to worry about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Par, there are a few stories today suggesting Gomes will sign with the Sox soon.  Hes another one side of the plate only offensive player and would definately need to be platooned.  Must mean they don't want to pay Cody's asking price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Gomes is a thug and a loser. Hated him in TB and didn't think he helped the A's at all. How is this an upgrade in any way? I'd rather give a roster spot to a young player and let him experience "the bigs".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Is Cherrington out of his ever loving mind. He is brutal defensively and strikes out a ton plus he has a heart condition. This team is rediculous with the garbage they are picking up. They plan to charge people money to see this team with the management acting like paupers and a small market team ? Come on already, this is the best we can do. If you gave this clown 3-4 million a year, you wasted your money, no one was going to give him this type of money. Lets bring back Jeremy Giambi too after all he is a high on base guy plus he is a has been as well.

If this is the way they are going about it I will at least save the money on the FIOS package (169.00 dollars last year) to watch this garbage. Grow up Ben, the Red Sox are a major market team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Gomes will only make 2-4M per and be a platoon player. BC has a bigger move/trade to go along with this...

Yeah okay we are not Kansas City but Boston. Hell, even Kansas City has out spent us so far on Guthrie for 25 million. Ben Cherrington should have been canned when Theo left for Chicago. He had to have been in on some of Theo's deals as ell, plus the garbage he picked up in 2012. I guess Henry needs the cash this year. The writing is on the wall people, this is a low budget team.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Jonny Gomes is the Wily Mo Pena we never quite saw.  If he gets 400 plate appearances, he ought to hit 20-25 HRs.  If he is used primarily as a platoon player he will have an OBP over .400 and an OPS over .900.  And if Manny can play LF, so can Gomes.  Though he will not likely hit for the average that Manny had, he could well be part of a productive L/R tandem with Ortiz.  At least that is what I suspect BC is hoping. 

A good, low-cost gamble, IMO.  Better bat than Ross, much less money, and not that much of a downgrade on defense over Ross, either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yeah okay we are not Kansas City but Boston. Hell, even Kansas City has out spent us so far on Guthrie for 25 million. Ben Cherrington should have been canned when Theo left for Chicago. He had to have been in on some of Theo's deals as ell, plus the garbage he picked up in 2012. I guess Henry needs the cash this year. The writing is on the wall people, this is a low budget team.

He rakes against LHP and will be in a platoon. The last 2 years hes had an OBP north of 400 vs LHP and ranked 15th in walk %. Hes also, by all reports, a solid presence in the clubhouse. For the $$, I like the signing.

Sections
Shortcuts