What about Gomes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: What about Gomes?

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes is a thug and a loser. Hated him in TB and didn't think he helped the A's at all. How is this an upgrade in any way? I'd rather give a roster spot to a young player and let him experience "the bigs".

[/QUOTE]

Please explain how Gomes is a "thug" and a "loser". making empty statements like that gives you no crdibility.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Actually, Jonny Gomes is said to have been a positive cluhouse presence in Oakland last season and has a good reputation among ex teammates.  Perhaps he is referrig to the brawl Gomes involved himself after Coco Crisp charged the mound back in 2008.  Isn't that the kind of teammate you want on your side?  He also got invoved in a brawl with the Yankees during ST that year.  That is a positve, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, Jonny Gomes is said to have been a positive cluhouse presence in Oakland last season and has a good reputation among ex teammates.  Perhaps he is referrig to the brawl Gomes involved himself after Coco Crisp charged the mound back in 2008.  Isn't that the kind of teammate you want on your side?  He also got invoved in a brawl with the Yankees during ST that year.  That is a positve, no?

[/QUOTE]

Thats where I think his disdain for Gomes comes from par. Gomes is basically cody ross with not as good defense. Ross was terrible against RHP, but people here liked him. We got Gomes for less than half the price.

I swear, if its not some big name everyone here complains. D. Ross was a great signing as well. their both platoon/BU players, no need to get all crazy about spending about 15M for these 2 over the next 2 years.

BC is obviously looking for a certain personality that this team was lacking the last year or two. Good clubhouse guys. They already got 2, and they bot have upside on the field as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats where I think his disdain for Gomes comes from par. Gomes is basically cody ross with not as good defense. Ross was terrible against RHP, but people here liked him. We got Gomes for less than half the price.

I swear, if its not some big name everyone here complains. D. Ross was a great signing as well. their both platoon/BU players, no need to get all crazy about spending about 15M for these 2 over the next 2 years.

BC is obviously looking for a certain personality that this team was lacking the last year or two. Good clubhouse guys. They already got 2, and they bot have upside on the field as well.

[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have everyday players than platoon players with a certain personality. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apologies for my last post. Had to. Anyways, I can live w/ a platoon of Nava/GOmes if a) we sign Napoli and b) we trade for either of JUPP / Stanton.

But it better be Gomes / Nava (as opposed to Gomes/Kalish).  I dont want to see Kalish and his sub .600 OPS on this team next year.  Prove you can hit in the minors before you get called up. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I guess Cody Ross is gone and not coming back. i do not like this signing at all. Gomes is not a good defensive outfielder. Two years at 10 million is way too much for him as well.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think 2 at 10 is a bit much, too.  But it is still a considerable savings over Ross, for a very similar skill set.  Remember, Ross was no Yaz out there in LF.  Not even a Rice.  More like Manny, without the hijinks and less of an arm, actually.  So Gomes will substitute quite adequately for what Ross brought to the team last season, IMO.

Besides, Cafardo tweeted that Sox are still talking with Ross.  Apparently this is not either or, necessarily.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In 2010 he was MONEY for he Reds--as clutch as they come, especially in the first half. But, in 2011 the magic abandoned him, and he never could recapture it. He's a high energy guy, wild eyed, crazy as a lune and will run through a wall. The only question is, can get back to where he was two years ago? If this signing means the Sox are not going to sign Ross, Id be concerned because Gomes could be lighting in a bottle, or NOT, and I wouldnt want to be left with no contengency.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Signing Gomes is not the end of the fix to the OF.  It may not be Ross, but there is another OFer coming, I am certain of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

Signing Gomes is not the end of the fix to the OF.  It may not be Ross, but there is another OFer coming, I am certain of it.

[/QUOTE]

Hamilton...he's willing to agree to 3/$60M LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apologies for my last post. Had to. Anyways, I can live w/ a platoon of Nava/GOmes if a) we sign Napoli and b) we trade for either of JUPP / Stanton.

But it better be Gomes / Nava (as opposed to Gomes/Kalish).  I dont want to see Kalish and his sub .600 OPS on this team next year.  Prove you can hit in the minors before you get called up. 

[/QUOTE]

Kalish was actually an outstanding minor league hitter prior to his injuries in 2011.  He never should have been in the majors so soon after coming back last season, but he was the last healthy outfielder on the 40-man roster.  In fact, the Sox even tried using anyone who was remotely healthy even if they were not an outfielder before rushing back Kalish, like Lars Anderson, who never played OF before 2012.

However, if the Sox want the REAL option for left-handed hittong OF, they need to make a deal with Oakland for Seth Smith. 

Smith is one of the best 15 hitters against RHP over the past 3 seasons.  Choose your metric. OPS?  He's in the top 15.  wOBA? Check? Batting average?  There too.

The A's are laoded in the OF and need a catcher.  The Sox have a catcher to spare.  Both Saltalamacchia and Smith made roughly the same cash last year, and are arbitration eligible.  Smith does have any arb year after 2013.

Does a Saltalamacchia-Smith swap make sense?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kalish was actually an outstanding minor league hitter prior to his injuries in 2011.  He never should have been in the majors so soon after coming back last season, but he was the last healthy outfielder on the 40-man roster.  In fact, the Sox even tried using anyone who was remotely healthy even if they were not an outfielder before rushing back Kalish, like Lars Anderson, who never played OF before 2012.

However, if the Sox want the REAL option for left-handed hittong OF, they need to make a deal with Oakland for Seth Smith. 

Smith is one of the best 15 hitters against RHP over the past 3 seasons.  Choose your metric. OPS?  He's in the top 15.  wOBA? Check? Batting average?  There too.

The A's are laoded in the OF and need a catcher.  The Sox have a catcher to spare.  Both Saltalamacchia and Smith made roughly the same cash last year, and are arbitration eligible.  Smith does have any arb year after 2013.

Does a Saltalamacchia-Smith swap make sense?

[/QUOTE]

I think BC might go with internal options. Still, a good trade IMO.

Id like to see him get the SLG up a bit against RHP, but still looks good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

He's got RH power, is just about to turn 32, and takes a walk when needed.  Signed for 1 million for this season.  Oakland has just acquired Chris Young.  What would it take to get Gomes, and is he a good fit for the Sox, rather than paying the price for Ross or Swisher?  Stop gap to Brentz perhaps.

[/QUOTE]Exactly. No need to commit to more than 2 years with anyone with guys like Brentz knocking on the door.

Sections
Shortcuts