What about Granderson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

What about Granderson?

If the Sox can't sign Ells, what about CG(free agent)? Bradley isn't MLB ready and still can't hit an inside slider or curve. His hitting in AAA is average at best. Sox need some power at #5 who can play centerfield. I'd prefer Boeggy at 3B, Drew at SS, and Middy at 1B. Who's better at CF? Chin or CG? I think Chin has 21 HR's. A healthy CG could hit 30 at Fenway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: What about Granderson?

In response to wvwc61's comment:

If the Sox can't sign Ells, what about CG(free agent)? Bradley isn't MLB ready and still can't hit an inside slider or curve. His hitting in AAA is average at best. Sox need some power at #5 who can play centerfield. I'd prefer Boeggy at 3B, Drew at SS, and Middy at 1B. Who's better at CF? Chin or CG? I think Chin has 21 HR's. A healthy CG could hit 30 at Fenway.

Ain't worth it as he'll cost too much.  Unless the market is not there and he'd consider a one year deal like Drew.  Not bloody likely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Similar things were said about Pedroia (too short, can't hit), Iglesias (can't hit) and Salty (took many Ks, bad defense).  Grandy should be okay for another 2-3 seasons, but not quite a CF anymore.

The way I see it, any good-hitting team should be able to stash an up-the-middle glove at the 9-hole without a problem.  Let Vic play CF v tough lefties for a couple of months.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

25-30% K rate, low AVG.  Yes he walks alot and has power but his OPS has been on the decline for 3 straight years and he's going to be 33.  I'd offer him a contract, and bank on him having a bounce back season but I doubt he would accept what I would offer him. If he would take a 2/20 I'd sign him.....but that ain't happening. 

He hasn't been the plus defender he's been as well in recent years. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

25-30% K rate, low AVG.  Yes he walks alot and has power but his OPS has been on the decline for 3 straight years and he's going to be 33.  I'd offer him a contract, and bank on him having a bounce back season but I doubt he would accept what I would offer him. If he would take a 2/20 I'd sign him.....but that ain't happening. 

He hasn't been the plus defender he's been as well in recent years. 

Yup, not my idea of a good leadoff hitter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The way he swing or pull the ball alot, he wont get a half of his 30 homeruns at fenway park.

Stay away from that guy.  He ll be more a busted player than a value player.

Resign Ellsbury, please!!  Boston do not have much choice.  We need a leadoff hitter, and Victorino is a perfect #2 hitter.  Been a long time to find a perfect #1 and #2 hitter in the line up.  If Ellsbury accepts 5 years contract, give it to him!!  Yankees probably do not want to give Cano a 7 years contract anyway.  Yankees know that Cano rather to play for the Yankees other than playing for anyone.  

But if we do lose Ellsbury, I think Boston would look for another CF via free agency or trade as well Boston do hope he can lead off too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No to Granderson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I like CG and think he could do great things at Fenway...but I think at this point and time we may have missed out on his best years.  He's becoming a player in the decline and is not worth the cash that he'll probably get.

I too would like Ells to re-sign but he will be priced out as well.  I agree that JBJ simply is not ready at this point and time.  Who knows whatever happens over the Winter but he has a lot of work to do still.  I think the best would be to bring in a right or left fielder via trade and move Vic to center.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

How many thought it was mistake to sign Vic for three years?? Come on put your hands up... or Nap after his hip diagnosis, or Drew, or Dempster, or Gomes? Guess what look at the FA list---there are more and there are more that want that elusive run for the playoffs. Take a close look at Grande's numbers. These guys are use to being in the lineup every day. I would offer him the same contract Vic got--that Nap was initially offered--3 years $39M. If he doesn't take  it BenC will find someone that will

I could see the Yankees taking Drew, Nap, Salty and Ells for that matter. All four fit Yankee Stadium perfectly.

I say we let all four go:

Sox sign Granderson for RF or CF

Vic stays in RF or CF

Ross and Vazquez or Lava--C

Carp @ 1 B

Xander to SS and

WMB at 3 B

Grande's 30 dingers makes up for the power of Ells & Nap. Not quite the fielder Ells is but he can steal some bags and has a better arm than Ells. Some "Grandesalami's" in the future. Re. the park for HR--if Drew can hit a dozen into the pen---Grande--has hit them out of most big league parks.

Xander will hit at least a dozen homers

Lava will begin to show the ability Bill is confident he has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

If the Sox fail to sign Ells, I just do not see penciling in Victorino to play CF.  His continued back and hamstring problems worry me.  Perhaps over the winter he'll heal up and  his lower body strength will return, but that being said, I'd leave him in RF where he did more than a commendable job this season, in spite of his nagging injuries; a true warrior in my book.

From what he showed in Spring Training and his exposure on the big club this season, I still have big hopes for Bradley Jr.  I think we will all see a more mature and MLB-ready player in the person of JBJ come 2014.

And trade acquisitions over the winter aside, I do like the previous mentioned idea of Bogaerts at 3B, Drew at SS, and Middlebrooks at 1B.

However another alternative, which I've been pushing for right along, would be to acquire a true right-handed power hitter to play LF, with either Ells or JBJ in CF, and Victorino in RF. (perhaps Stanton or Abreu).  And then go with Middlebrooks at 3B, Bogaerts at SS, and Nava at 1B.  (I truly believe Nava as the regular, everyday 1B would have an outstanding season in 2014, both offensively and defensively.) The power-hitting LFer would make up for the loss of Napoli (and his record-breaking strikeouts). *=)) rolling on the floor

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

How many thought it was mistake to sign Vic for three years?? Come on put your hands up... or Nap after his hip diagnosis, or Drew, or Dempster, or Gomes? Guess what look at the FA list---there are more and there are more that want that elusive run for the playoffs. Take a close look at Grande's numbers. These guys are use to being in the lineup every day. I would offer him the same contract Vic got--that Nap was initially offered--3 years $39M. If he doesn't take  it BenC will find someone that will

I could see the Yankees taking Drew, Nap, Salty and Ells for that matter. All four fit Yankee Stadium perfectly.

Vic stays in RF or CF

Carp @ 1 B

Xander to SS and

WMB at 3 B

Grande's 30 dingers makes up for the power of Ells & Nap. Not quite the fielder Ells is but he can steal some bags and has a better arm than Ells. Some "Grandesalami's" in the future. Re. the park for HR--if Drew can hit a dozen into the pen---Grande--has hit them out of most big league parks.

Brilliant idea......let's break up the team and let 4 KEY pieces go that will get over 95 wins this year.

Thank goodness you're not in charge.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Vic stays in RF or CF

Carp @ 1 B

Xander to SS and

WMB at 3 B

This team is going to be a non-post season team.

Also this line up have way too many lefties.  Reminded me of 2010 to 2011 teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

If the Sox fail to sign Ells, I just do not see penciling in Victorino to play CF.  His continued back and hamstring problems worry me.  Perhaps over the winter he'll heal up and  his lower body strength will return, but that being said, I'd leave him in RF where he did more than a commendable job this season, in spite of his nagging injuries; a true warrior in my book.

From what he showed in Spring Training and his exposure on the big club this season, I still have big hopes for Bradley Jr.  I think we will all see a more mature and MLB-ready player in the person of JBJ come 2014.

And trade acquisitions over the winter aside, I do like the previous mentioned idea of Bogaerts at 3B, Drew at SS, and Middlebrooks at 1B.

However another alternative, which I've been pushing for right along, would be to acquire a true right-handed power hitter to play LF, with either Ells or JBJ in CF, and Victorino in RF. (perhaps Stanton or Abreu).  And then go with Middlebrooks at 3B, Bogaerts at SS, and Nava at 1B.  (I truly believe Nava as the regular, everyday 1B would have an outstanding season in 2014, both offensively and defensively.) The power-hitting LFer would make up for the loss of Napoli (and his record-breaking strikeouts). *=)) rolling on the floor

So you want to buy an MLB unproven Cuban superstar who plays first base and put him in LF, then take a left fielder who's defense has a sharp drop off at first base and put him on first base?

If you want to advocate Abreu being signed then why move him off position to left field when his defense at first base is already questionable???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

the FA 1B pool is a bit spotty....First Basemen
    Lance Berkman *
    Jason Giambi
    Travis Hafner
    Todd Helton(excluded-hanging em up)
    Eric Hinske
    Paul Konerko
    Casey Kotchman
    Adam Lind *
    James Loney
    Kendrys Morales
    Justin Morneau
    Mike Morse
    Mike Napoli
    Lyle Overbay
    Carlos Pena
    Mark Reynolds
    Juan Rivera
    Kevin Youkilis

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

So you want to buy an MLB unproven Cuban superstar who plays first base and put him in LF, then take a left fielder who's defense has a sharp drop off at first base and put him on first base?

If you want to advocate Abreu being signed then why move him off position to left field when his defense at first base is already questionable???

Good pickup CT, my bad.  What I really meant or should have clariifed was Stanton or another established right-handed-power-hitter in LF and Nava at 1B.  In the case of Abreu, and thanks for pointing this out to me, the Sox should and obvioulsy would play Abreu at 1B and leave Nava in LF. 

And as you, and many others could reasonably point out, Abreu is unproven at the MLB level.  However, after looking at Abreu's numbers in Cuban baseball and given the recent success of Cuban players such as Yuniesky Betancourt, Yoenis Céspedes, Aroldis Chapman, Yunel Escobar, José Iglesias, Kendry Morales, and especially Yasiel Puig, I would certainly be willing to take a flyer on this young talent if he is available, and naturally for the right price.  Particularly, with a Plan B of Nava or Carp at 1B if things don't work out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

PASS!

But I would take him if I could flip him for Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke in a Heartbeat - damn Ca$hman is terrible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pass on Grandy...Not a good fit here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who da XXXX is Chin?  I'm guessing you're talking about Choo.  

Choo would be the best replacement for Ellsbury.  We already have two CFs in the house andChoo has his best value at RF.  If Sox ever think about leaving JBJ at AAA at the start of next season, then FO will look outside to fill in for Ellsbury.  But with JBJ impressive ability to get on base, speed, and his amazing glove will prevent him from demotion.  

Choo will be almost the perfect guy for Sox.  He will provide above average defense from our wicked RF, high OBP with pops and speed from left side.  But he will command good amount of money.  Something like 4-5 yrs $50-60M.  It's not something that Sox can't afford but we have pretty solid OF depth even after Ells departure.  If FO feels comfortable with what we already have, they won't spend big money during offseason but rather wait and see if something comes up during the regular season.  

2014 OF without Ellsbury:

We have Victorino, Bradley Jr., Nava, Carp, Brentz could get callup after decent season.  Brentz would be right handed platoon with Nava or Carp and can produce some pops from the right side of plate.  IMO, Sox will start the season with Nava, JBJ, and Shane in the OF and Carp and Brentz in the bench.  That's pretty good OFs if you think about it.  Nava and JBJ will produce high OBP, solid defense in JBJ and Shane, some pops from Nava, Carp, and Brentz.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

PASS!

But I would take him if I could flip him for Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke in a Heartbeat - damn Ca$hman is terrible.

Cashman never traded  Scherzer.  He did move Ian Kennedy in that deal...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

PASS!

[/QUOTE]

I know but Kennedy was later flipped for Scherzer.  yankee fans think they stole "the grandy man" from DT but in reality that trade was a big part of what has made the Tigers the powerhouse they are today.  and where are the yankees today?  God I LOOOOVE Ca$hman!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Southy---CG doesn't fit?

I'm missing something---a 3 year deal for same money as Vic. 

Pedroia 2B, Vic RF, Nava LF, Ortiz DH, Nap 1 B (resigns)/Morneau/Reynolds, Grande CF, WMB 3B, Salty C (resigns) and Xander SS.

I could see the Sox signing Morneau for the 3 and $39 instead of Nap. Morneau pretty good glove and would set a record for doubles. Or  Mark Reynolds at age 30; 3 @ $27. Could also serve as a backup for WMB. We've put up with Nap's K's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Southy---CG doesn't fit?

I'm missing something---a 3 year deal for same money as Vic. 

Pedroia 2B, Vic RF, Nava LF, Ortiz DH, Nap 1 B (resigns)/Morneau/Reynolds, Grande CF, WMB 3B, Salty C (resigns) and Xander SS.

I could see the Sox signing Morneau for the 3 and $39 instead of Nap. Morneau pretty good glove and would set a record for doubles. Or  Mark Reynolds at age 30; 3 @ $27. Could also serve as a backup for WMB. We've put up with Nap's K's.

Naps and Reynold will reach 300 Ks combined and you don't want that in the middle of our lineup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

PASS!

I know but Kennedy was later flipped for Scherzer.  yankee fans think they stole "the grandy man" from DT but in reality that trade was a big part of what has made the Tigers the powerhouse they are today.  and where are the yankees today?  God I LOOOOVE Ca$hman!!!

Kennedy wasn't "flipped" for anyone.  The Yankees never had Scherzer.

IIf Scherzer wss traded for anyone, it wss Edwin Jackson who went from Detroit to Arizona in that deal.

It was a deal where 3 teams got together and got whst they wanted simultaneously...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PASS!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also, the Yankees traded one prospect for a guy who wss a big part of their offense for 3 years. Grsnderson wss no bust.  From 2010 to 2012,  he wss in the top ten in the AL in home runs, RBI, runs, triples and walks.

He lead all AL hitters in home runs from 2011 to 2012.  He did work out for them...

Sections
Shortcuts