In response to notin's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PASS!

But I would take him if I could flip him for Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke in a Heartbeat - damn Ca$hman is terrible.

Cashman never traded  Scherzer.  He did move Ian Kennedy in that deal...

[/QUOTE]

I know but Kennedy was later flipped for Scherzer.  yankee fans think they stole "the grandy man" from DT but in reality that trade was a big part of what has made the Tigers the powerhouse they are today.  and where are the yankees today?  God I LOOOOVE Ca$hman!!!

[/QUOTE]

Also, the Yankees traded one prospect for a guy who wss a big part of their offense for 3 years. Grsnderson wss no bust.  From 2010 to 2012,  he wss in the top ten in the AL in home runs, RBI, runs, triples and walks.

He lead all AL hitters in home runs from 2011 to 2012.  He did work out for them...

[/QUOTE]

But the main reason he was a good offense hitter is that he took advantage of the Yankee's stadium short right field porch!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: What about Granderson?

Regardless, he worked out for them...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

PASS!

But I would take him if I could flip him for Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke in a Heartbeat - damn Ca$hman is terrible.

I know but Kennedy was later flipped for Scherzer.  yankee fans think they stole "the grandy man" from DT but in reality that trade was a big part of what has made the Tigers the powerhouse they are today.  and where are the yankees today?  God I LOOOOVE Ca$hman!!!

Kennedy wasn't "flipped" for anyone.  The Yankees never had Scherzer.

IIf Scherzer wss traded for anyone, it wss Edwin Jackson who went from Detroit to Arizona in that deal.

It was a deal where 3 teams got together and got whst they wanted simultaneously...

I never said the yankees had Max S.  The Tigers had Ian K and flipped him to DT for Max.  Had the yankees traded Justin C or Phil H instead of Ian K (a 20 game winner) it wouldn't had been such a bad trade for the yankees.

Also, keep in mind that the Grandy Man made more $ than Max S, Austin J, and Phil C COMBINED!

Thank you Mr Ca$hman!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

agreed

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PASS!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also, the Yankees traded one prospect for a guy who wss a big part of their offense for 3 years. Grsnderson wss no bust.  From 2010 to 2012,  he wss in the top ten in the AL in home runs, RBI, runs, triples and walks.

He lead all AL hitters in home runs from 2011 to 2012.  He did work out for them...

[/QUOTE]

But the main reason he was a good offense hitter is that he took advantage of the Yankee's stadium short right field porch!!

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

COCO CRISP !!! Yup, I know he's 33  but I think he's still got 2-3 years in him and I was sorry to see him go but, obviously, Ells was better although I'd kept him to play left or right field and avoided JD Drew & C. Crawford & we'd saved a lot of money too. Heck, he's only gone from us 4 years. Soriano was gone from NY for almost 10 I think. Speaking of Soriano, could he play CF for us for a one year deal...please don't lay into me, I'm partly joking but still asking ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I, once again, drag my long-suffering hands across my key(bored).  How many Effink times does it have to be explained that the main benefit to the Sox' trade FOR AGon was his 2011 value i.e. $6.3m salary vs his $28.2m (Fangraphs) value.....but after 2011 his salary ballooned to circa $21m so his relative value became nominal.  That's why thinkers realise that the Sox raped the Dodgers...that's why no team claimed Manny of irrev waives in the winter 2003.

I'd LOVE to have Granderson for cheap money....but he'll be massively overpaid by stupid teams....

If we could get him on a Beltre deal....or even a Steven Drew deal....Great!  But it seems very unlikely to me.  I'll take a Nava/Gomes combo for a quarter of the salary instead, thank you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

All you can say is that the NYY gave up AJax and Kennedy for Granderson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

All you can say is that the NYY gave up AJax and Kennedy for Granderson.

And Coke who killed them last October

Also, that they chose Kennedy to go and not Justin or Phil - that was costly as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

If we could get him on a Beltre deal....or even a Steven Drew deal....Great!  But it seems very unlikely to me.  I'll take a Nava/Gomes combo for a quarter of the salary instead, thank you.

depends on where that "saved salary" goes to.  to payroll for other talent?  ok.

to Henry's pocket?  not ok.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

PASS!

IIf Scherzer wss traded for anyone, it wss Edwin Jackson who went from Detroit to Arizona in that deal.

It was a deal where 3 teams got together and got whst they wanted simultaneously...

I never said the yankees had Max S.  The Tigers had Ian K and flipped him to DT for Max.  Had the yankees traded Justin C or Phil H instead of Ian K (a 20 game winner) it wouldn't had been such a bad trade for the yankees.

Also, keep in mind that the Grandy Man made more $ than Max S, Austin J, and Phil C COMBINED!

Thank you Mr Ca$hman!!

[/QUOTE]

Not true.

The Tigers did not “flip” Ian Kennedy.  He was sent directly to the Diamondbacks.  This was a case of 3 GMs sitting in a room saying “OK want Player A, you can have players B and C and he gets D, E and F . This might work out.”  And it did for all 3 teams.  The deal is even recorded that way in B-R.com, which says “Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Detroit Tigers to the New York Yankees. The Detroit Tigers sent Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers. The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.”

“Flipping” is when you trade for a player and then move him in a separate deal, like when the Blue Jays acquired the aforementioned Edwin Jackson from the White Sox for Jason Frasor and then sent him to St. Louis is the large deal for Colby Rasmus, with both these trades occurring on the same day.  Or like when the same Blue Jays acquired Michael Taylor from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade, and then dealt him for Brett Wallace.  Again, these were two separate trades that occurred within a few hours off each other, not that that is necessarily the required timeframe for flipping.  Both of those deals are listed as two separate trades, because both Jackson and Taylor were actually considered Blue Jays for a very brief period.

And Granderson did cost more, which is always the case when veterans are dealt for minor leaguers or low service time players.  The money really did not matter to the Yankees.  Even this year, at his highest salary, he is the seventh highest paid player on their roster (though Wells and Soriano are receiving some of their cash from former teams).

And if any team deserves credit besides the Tigers for building that team, I would say the Marlins have been a much bigger factor, trading them both Miguel Cabrera and AL ERA leader Anibal Sanchez (although Sanchez did reach free agency before re-signing).  Those two are really a much bigger combination than Scherzer and Austin Jackson, whose most notable achievement has been defying all BABIP logic.

To conclude:

The Granderson trade was actually a good trade for all 3 teams, and NOT the largest factor in building the Tigers.  And the Sox should avoid Granderson unless he is willing to take an extremely reasonable short term deal.  He is really not a bad player, just not one anyone should overcommit to for short term production…

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PASS!

Thank you Mr Ca$hman!!

[/QUOTE]

Not true.

The Tigers did not “flip” Ian Kennedy.  He was sent directly to the Diamondbacks.  This was a case of 3 GMs sitting in a room saying “OK want Player A, you can have players B and C and he gets D, E and F . This might work out.”  And it did for all 3 teams.  The deal is even recorded that way in B-R.com, which says “Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Detroit Tigers to the New York Yankees. The Detroit Tigers sent Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers. The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.”

“Flipping” is when you trade for a player and then move him in a separate deal, like when the Blue Jays acquired the aforementioned Edwin Jackson from the White Sox for Jason Frasor and then sent him to St. Louis is the large deal for Colby Rasmus, with both these trades occurring on the same day.  Or like when the same Blue Jays acquired Michael Taylor from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade, and then dealt him for Brett Wallace.  Again, these were two separate trades that occurred within a few hours off each other, not that that is necessarily the required timeframe for flipping.  Both of those deals are listed as two separate trades, because both Jackson and Taylor were actually considered Blue Jays for a very brief period.

And Granderson did cost more, which is always the case when veterans are dealt for minor leaguers or low service time players.  The money really did not matter to the Yankees.  Even this year, at his highest salary, he is the seventh highest paid player on their roster (though Wells and Soriano are receiving some of their cash from former teams).

And if any team deserves credit besides the Tigers for building that team, I would say the Marlins have been a much bigger factor, trading them both Miguel Cabrera and AL ERA leader Anibal Sanchez (although Sanchez did reach free agency before re-signing).  Those two are really a much bigger combination than Scherzer and Austin Jackson, whose most notable achievement has been defying all BABIP logic.

To conclude:

The Granderson trade was actually a good trade for all 3 teams, and NOT the largest factor in building the Tigers.  And the Sox should avoid Granderson unless he is willing to take an extremely reasonable short term deal.  He is really not a bad player, just not one anyone should overcommit to for short term production…

[/QUOTE]

I disagree - trading Granderson away is a huge part of what makes the Tigers the team they have been recently, are today, and will be after this year too.  The yankees had plenty of power without Granderson and could had benefited by having AJax, a lefty reliever and a top of the rotation starter - all while saving some $$$$$$$........

Sections
Shortcuts