What about Jim Thome?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

What about Jim Thome?

Jim Thome is currently a free agent, what if we signed him to fill in for Ortiz while hes out and give Napoli some rest when he needs it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Re: What about Jim Thome?

Problem is you need to drop someone from 40 man roster for a rental of Thome.  Once Ortiz can play there's no way both can be on the team.  Unless they see a long term DL trip for Papi, better to go with someone like Gomes or Gomez at DH sort term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

it's not like Papi ruptured his tendon and is going to be out for months.. he's just sore. worst case at this point he will miss the first few weeks of the season. not really worth bringing in someone else. We can fill the position from within until Papi is back. If he takes a turn for the worst and is going to be out for an extended period of time then we should look for a replacement. As long as he is out i would just put Naps there and sub someone else at first base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I honestly think this injury is going to bother him for a while. I'm obviously not a doctor or anything but the guy is 37 years old (we think) and is overweight. That is 2 things that doesn't work in his favor. Also how do we know that even when he does come back that he's not going to be in a slump from not being able to play? I just think we need an offensive upgrade over Gomez, or Nava, or whoever else we put in DH or 1st Base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

I honestly think this injury is going to bother him for a while. I'm obviously not a doctor or anything but the guy is 37 years old (we think) and is overweight. That is 2 things that doesn't work in his favor. Also how do we know that even when he does come back that he's not going to be in a slump from not being able to play? I just think we need an offensive upgrade over Gomez, or Nava, or whoever else we put in DH or 1st Base.

but at what cost? like it was mentioned, bringing anyone else in would mean clearing room on the 40.. Thome is not a bad option but i don't know if i would take a flier on him.. i'm not sure he would do any better than what we have in house. If Papi goes on the DL for months then we would have the room to bring someone in but like i said, i'm not sure i'd want it to be Thome.. at that point i would tkae my chances with Gomez/Lava at DH or Naps @ DH and nava/Carp playing 1B. But at least your proposing a solution as opposed to just crying about his contract. thanks :) and keep the ideas coming.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

but at what cost? like it was mentioned, bringing anyone else in would mean clearing room on the 40.. Thome is not a bad option but i don't know if i would take a flier on him.. i'm not sure he would do any better than what we have in house. If Papi goes on the DL for months then we would have the room to bring someone in but like i said, i'm not sure i'd want it to be Thome.. at that point i would tkae my chances with Gomez/Lava at DH or Naps @ DH and nava/Carp playing 1B. But at least your proposing a solution as opposed to just crying about his contract. thanks :) and keep the ideas coming.

If the 40 man roster was an issue I think they could afford to cut lose ends with Dan Butler. He's a 26 year old catcher who is good defensively but can't really hit his own weight.  He's not very high on the depth chart and maybe they could trade him for cash or maybe another area of need for the Sox.

Oh, and the only reason I'm not considering Lavarnway in this is because I really think the Sox want him to start the season in triple A and maybe get his confidence up after last season. Also can we really expect Napoli to play more than 130 games anyways?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

thome is not a bad idea theoretically, but as someone mentioned, we dont have room on the 40 man roster for him, so either trading for someone good or going in house would be the ways to go. I would say if ortiz starts on the DL, start jackie bradley in LF and DH johnny gomes. helps in two ways, one, gomes sucks at fielding, so we gain huge on D, and second, it gives bradley the chance to play everyday. once ortiz returns, if bradley did well, he starts, gomes comes off the bench. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

thome is not a bad idea theoretically, but as someone mentioned, we dont have room on the 40 man roster for him, so either trading for someone good or going in house would be the ways to go. I would say if ortiz starts on the DL, start jackie bradley in LF and DH johnny gomes. helps in two ways, one, gomes sucks at fielding, so we gain huge on D, and second, it gives bradley the chance to play everyday. once ortiz returns, if bradley did well, he starts, gomes comes off the bench. 

a few problems with that, Gomes bad defense means very little in fenways small LF so the dramatic increase in defense is minimalized by the small area JBJ would have to cover. Also it is not a perminent situation unless Papi ruptures the tendon so we would be wasting a year of service time for a few weeks of improved defense in a position where defense matters little (in comparison to the rest of the OF). If you really want to go for improved defense look to do it in a spot where the defensive shift can be maximized (say SS). We can have Drew DH or even play first (then Naps would DH) and start Iggy. Since Iggy doesn't have a FA clock that would get set into motion we don't have to worry about that and he can finally get that shot everyone wants him to. If Iggy thrives offensively (in relation to SS production) when Papi is ready we keep him on and start Drew in LF as the RHH part of the platoon with Gomes. I know Drew doesn't play the OF (neither did A-gon) but like i mentioned, the need for defense in LF is minimalized because it's so small and Drew already plays on the left side of the field so he will see the ball coming off of the bat at the same angle he would playing SS. Much like A-gon, Drew is great at positioning himself so he could make up for his shortcomings.

@lefty IRT:

"Oh, and the only reason I'm not considering Lavarnway in this is because I really think the Sox want him to start the season in triple A and maybe get his confidence up after last season. Also can we really expect Napoli to play more than 130 games anyways?"

I agree that under normal circumstances he should be starting in AAA. Especially considering he is still a catcher at this point and he had a poor year last season. But I think if he is a DH and doesn't have to worry about preparing for catching day in and day out his offense will improve. in 2012 he was a full time catcher and his offense suffered because he was spending so much time prepping and refining his defensive game. If you look to the last season he WASN'T a FT catcher (2011) where he spent half his time catching and half his time DHing you will see his offensive numbers were excellent (.290/.376/.563). So i'm thinking if you take the physical labors and the mental stress of catching out of the picture we will see an improved Lavarnway. That's just my opinion.. which is why i think he should be a 1Bman this year but that's a conversation for a different thread.

and yes, i think your right about Napoli starting 130 games... that's just about how many games i predicted him to be in. missing 20ish games in a season is NBD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Check Thome's stats for the last two seasons.

He's finished.

The reason he is a free agent is mainly because nobody wants him. 2010 was his last decent season. He's like Rickey Henderson was back a few years ago, won't officially retire, but he really can't contribute much anymore. I'd rather give a young guy a shot at filling in until Ortiz is ready....Perhaps a good role for Lavarnway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Jim Thome is currently a free agent, what if we signed him to fill in for Ortiz while hes out and give Napoli some rest when he needs it?

No Thanks......   Now if BILL-806 said that, this board would think that he had a screw loose  !!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He has a .355OBP and a .819 OPS since 2010 playing full season worth of gsmes for four teams. The Sox could do worse.

And there are a few expendablele names on the 40 man roster...