What about Matt Joyce???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from K_Hood. Show K_Hood's posts

What about Matt Joyce???

Hey guys, been following here for awhile reading some of the discussions throughout the days.  I decided to finally sign up and start posting.

Reading through the potential players the Red Sox may eye before trade deadline.  Am I missing something or should maybe Tampa Bays Matt Joyce be mentioned?

So far this season, he's been pretty hot.  Batting .295 with a .354 OBP and 13 Homeruns with 43 RBI's.  Not to mention he was a selected All Star this year.  If I am not mistaken he's a free agent at the close of this season and Tampa doesn't have much money to compete with big names and is currently only paying Joyce about 420k this year. 

In my opinion I think he could be a pretty solid fill for the constant right fielder debate issue.  Only downfall I think is he's another left handed hitter. 

Am I the only one who thinks he should be considered?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: What about Matt Joyce???

Don't see the Rays sending him out way, friend.  Madden wouldn't do that to help the Sox while the Rays are still in it, which they are.

He's dropped off from over .370 to .289 in the last 5 weeks or so.  Lifetime he was never above .252 ... but he is young and if this first half is more of what he is developing into ...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K_Hood. Show K_Hood's posts

In Response to Re: What about Matt Joyce???:
    [QUOTE]Don't see the Rays sending him out way, friend.  Madden wouldn't do that to help the Sox while the Rays are still in it, which they are.Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can imagine they wouldn't let him go now.  However come end of season, if he's the unrestricted free agent like I believe he is, would he be something to consider?  Especially if Boston starts trying to deal some of these young guys out for other major moves. 

I was just wondering what you guys thought about him.  I know he loves playing for Tampa since he's from that area, but I just wonder if Tampa is willing to start throwing money at him to re-sign him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Inter-division trading is so uncommon. I cannot see it happening either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Inter-division trading is so uncommon. I cannot see it happening either.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I assume Burrito means "intra-division" trades.

This realy isn'ttrue, despite it being a common rationalization among fans.

Intra-division trades are less common than inter-division trades, because there are more teams outside the division.  But teams that have given up are less obsessed with rivals than fans are, and don't care who wins if it is not them.  However, it makes sense to trade within the division once you become a seller.  It's one thing to make your team better by getting prospects; it's another to improve your team and weaken a rival's future at the same time.

The most recent intra-division trade was last year's Cliff Lee deal that netted the Mariners Justin Smoak, Blake Beaven, Josh Luebke and Matt Lawson from AL West rival Texas....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What about Matt Joyce??? : Yeah I can imagine they wouldn't let him go now. 

However come end of season, if he's the unrestricted free agent like I believe he is, would he be something to consider?  Especially if Boston starts trying to deal some of these young guys out for other major moves.  I was just wondering what you guys thought about him.  I know he loves playing for Tampa since he's from that area, but I just wonder if Tampa is willing to start throwing money at him to re-sign him.
    Posted by K_Hood[/QUOTE]

K,

Since you mentioned the trade deadline I went specifically that way.  I actually edited out the after season lines I had written, which are close to what you are asking.  I didn't know he was a local kid.  That's almost always a nice connection.  Almost.  

I don't know how much money it would take to pry him away from that connection, but the reality is the Sox have more of a budget for that with Drew's $14 million coming off the boards.  If they don't pick up an expensive option before the trade deadline, or just before the playoffs, that keeps that money more available.

Again, the other issue is if the upside for Joyce is high.  I don't know about that.

If he played out at the half season numbers for the whole season, say .290 BA; 25 HR; 85 RBIs  .... would not be bad at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

It's one thing to make a trade within your division but totally different when both teams are still in contention or perennial rivals like the Sox and Rays or Yankees.

Lets look at last yr's Cliff Lee trade as mentioned by notin.  It happened on July 10 and at that time Texas was in 1st with Seattle being 15 games back, in last place.

Totally different scenario than the Sox and Rays making a trade right now.