What about Salty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

What about Salty?

I don't know why he has not received the QO yet.  I would rather have him back than signing a punk like McCann that blocks a guy that hits a home run from crossing the plate.  We don't need that arrogance on this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: What about Salty?

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know why he has not received the QO yet.  I would rather have him back than signing a punk like McCann that blocks a guy that hits a home run from crossing the plate.  We don't need that arrogance on this team.

[/QUOTE]

If he did, he would get 14.1 millions dollars QO.  Way too much to offer him.  I know Napoli and Drew got a hefy QO, but they are a good defender while Salty isnt.

That is why Boston rather to pay a guy that can play defense and offense too.  Only guy deserve to make good money as an offense hitter is Big Papi!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id at least offer him a QO. Salty will get a 4 years deal somewhere. I think the security of a 4yr deal will be more important that a 1yr inflated contract. Same with Ells, Drew and Naps.

Some feel Salty was disrespected by playing Ross in the WS. Some wish he would just leave, not realizing there isnt much available on the market. But if the Sox see Vasquez and/or Swihart ready come 2015, then a 1-2 year stop gap is all that will be needed. Me? Im not sure Vasquez and Swihart are going to be here and ready for full time action. Vasquez is at AAA now, but needs to work on his offense more. He made some strides this year in that dept., but nothing consistent. Swihart is at least 2-3 years away.

I see if Salty will take 3 years at 11Mper, but hes earned 4 IMHO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Id at least offer him a QO. Salty will get a 4 years deal somewhere. I think the security of a 4yr deal will be more important that a 1yr inflated contract. Same with Ells, Drew and Naps.

Some feel Salty was disrespected by playing Ross in the WS. Some wish he would just leave, not realizing there isnt much available on the market. But if the Sox see Vasquez and/or Swihart ready come 2015, then a 1-2 year stop gap is all that will be needed. Me? Im not sure Vasquez and Swihart are going to be here and ready for full time action. Vasquez is at AAA now, but needs to work on his offense more. He made some strides this year in that dept., but nothing consistent. Swihart is at least 2-3 years away.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Although $14.1M is an overpay for Salty, it is just for 1 year, and he may decline it and give us a draft pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Salty is/should be GONE !!!   We can upgrade that position from within at less $$$$$$$$$$$$$   !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is/should be GONE !!!   We can upgrade that position from within at less $$$$$$$$$$$$$   !!!!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he needs to be gone.  The guy DID have a very solid season at the plate....one of the best in the majors but yes he lacks behind the plate and was more exposed during the post season.  The thing is though Bill, there really is nobody READY to take the reigns and Ross simply is too old to be the fulltime catcher.  If you don't like Softy's defense then Lava's is no better.  Vasquez simply is not ready but IS an upgrade defensively....but he's not ready at the plate as South said.  So there really is not an upgrade within.....not for at LEAST a year.

I would offer give him a QO and see what happens.  There is NO bad case scenario we have him for a year and he accepts.  A lot of money yes...but off the books in a year and the youts' may be ready by then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox are unlikely to extend a qualifying offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, according to beat reporter Alex Speier at WEEI:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/04/mike-napoli-to-receive-one-year-qualifying-offer-from-red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-likely-wont-receive-one/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I bet that the Red Sox have already made contact with Kurt Suzuki who was released last week by the A's as a possible catcher to use with Ross in 2014

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no we cant. Ross cant play FT

Lavarnway? lol

Vasquez at least one more year away

Swihart 2+ years

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I bet that the Red Sox have already made contact with Kurt Suzuki who was released last week by the A's as a possible catcher to use with Ross in 2014

[/QUOTE]

If they dont go after Salty, then Suzuki could be a nice 2 year deal. Not much offense, but Fenway could help that a bit being a RHH. Solid defender though. 26% career CS%, only 3% higher than Salty at 23%, hmmm. He also made 6.5M last year. Theres no question that position will be mostly defense. There will be a big drop off in offensive production with Salty gone. He is an average defender, but he just looked worn out by the time the WS can around which effected the offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Although $14.1M is an overpay for Salty, it is just for 1 year, and he may decline it and give us a draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

I think thats the best strategy-offering him a QO and paying him for one year. By then Vasquez may be ready. If Salty gets a three year deal he will block Vasquez and Swihart, both of whom probably have a higher upside than Salty. Contrary to what others may think here, I believe that Lavarnway deserves a chance to succeed in the majors. He has succeeded at every level where he was given a chance to play regularly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think thats the best strategy-offering him a QO and paying him for one year. By then Vasquez may be ready. If Salty gets a three year deal he will block Vasquez and Swihart, both of whom probably have a higher upside than Salty. Contrary to what others may think here, I believe that Lavarnway deserves a chance to succeed in the majors. He has succeeded at every level where he was given a chance to play regularly.

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that lavs success has come offensively, defensively salty is actually much better the lav particularly when it comes to blocking balls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Either the Sox are banking on Vasquez being ready if a platoon of Lavarnway/Ross doesn't work out (or there is an injury) OR they have someone in FA they plan on going after. 

Because Salty is definitely going to be overpaid in free agency with no draft pick compensation attached to him.  I do not want to overpay for multiple years of Salty.  I had no problem with overpaying him for 1 year, but 3-4????? no way. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that lavs success has come offensively, defensively salty is actually much better the lav particularly when it comes to blocking balls.

[/QUOTE]

Salty is certainly not a top defensive catcher by any means. While Lavarnway may be somewhat worse at it, he can still improve, possibly, and whatever defensive difference exists between the two would be made up by Lavarnway being a better hitter. I do not know if Lavarnway could succeed in the ML, but he certainly deserves a chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox to follow Braves footstep?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20131104-declining-to-qualify-saltalamacchia-means-mccann-a-likely-free-agent-target.ece

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20131104-declining-to-qualify-saltalamacchia-means-mccann-a-likely-free-agent-target.ece

[/QUOTE]

While the Red Sox appear likely to tender $14.1 million qualifying offers to Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Napoli, they will not tender such an offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, their fourth potentially major free-agent departure;

This just begs to ask:  do you think he is salty about not getting a QO?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While the Red Sox appear likely to tender $14.1 million qualifying offers to Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Napoli, they will not tender such an offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, their fourth potentially major free-agent departure;

This just begs to ask:  do you think he is salty about not getting a QO?

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarilly.

Ask Michael Bourne or Kyle Lohse how having a draft pick attached to them affected their free agency.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Upgrade?

Lava will not have a better year than Salty's 2013 season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty is certainly not a top defensive catcher by any means

Top 10 at...

He is at pitch framing.

He is at blocking bad pitches.

Certainly top 10 on offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Boston gives Salty a QO.  

I like Salty more than McCann.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Considering Salty is probably the only one who might accept it...it would not kill the Sox budget to have a one year overpay to Salty while young guys mature and gaurantee the draft pick if he turns it down.....seems like a win win

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We can all agree that McCann is an upgrade over Salty, right?  I see why Ben could go after McCann for multiple yrs rather than QO Salty and bring him back one more yr.  McCann will certainly be DHing when Papi leaves.  It's not too early to seek for Papi's replacement especially one became available at relatively young age.  Plus McCann probably would take little less from the Sox than the other teams with the presence of Ross.  I don't see Ben breaks bank on McCann but he sure will go hard after him.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I think that the Sox will offer Salty something like 3/27 or 3/30. He will probably get something better elsewhere. I would imagine that the Yankees will overpay for McCann. If Salty bails, our next catcher may be gotten via trade from the Angels, as others have suggested. I like Salty despite his inability to throw out runners.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Another thing is that Boston can resign Salty for a short term contract such as two years for 10 millions.  But if Salty can find a hefty nice long term contract elsewhere, let him go.

Then Boston can possibility sign McCann.  If they do, Lavarnway is more likely going to be traded!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Id like McCann.  Would be a nice fit in the middle of the lineup.  Is also very close with Ross.  He has done a great job with atlantas staff.  

Victorino/Pedey/Papi/McCann/Naps/Nava(Gomes)/Bogey/Middlebrooks/JBJ

having so many young pitchers i want someone back there who can lead them.  Ross n McCann being friends will make the transition easier.  The above noted lineup still brings speed, quality defense, offense, youth and vets.  

Sections
Shortcuts