What advice would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: What advise would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?

Most logical answer would be "Joe Saunders" at this point.  But I'm gonna go with "Roy Oswalt".  A dependable proven solid starter who can be a year-rental.  His asking price would be even more steep now that he's willing to accept 1 yr contract.  If Ben somehow signs Oswalt, he woould slide right into #3 spot in the rotation and take some pressure off of Bucholz after missing most of last season with injury.  And Bard can start every 5th day.  I would say Aceves will remain in the BP and be given some spot starts here and there and give Bard some rest.  If Bard struggles, Aceves and Bard switch their spot IMO.  Signing Oswalt give instant boost in the rotation and probably the best 1-4 rotation in the league. (Letser, Beckett, Oswalt, and Bucholz)  Sources are saying Oswalt will be asking around $11-13MM but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up to $15MM.  My only concern is his health.  But what the heck... He's willing to accept one year deal and prove himself he's healthy and effective, I wouldn't mind give him a chance. (Of course he has to pass the physical)    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

With the "short porch" in Yankee stadium, I would think they would need to look at another Lefty to go with Lester. Not sure who is available via trade or FA but adding another left-handed starter would be a plus.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: What advise would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?:
    [QUOTE]Most logical answer would be "Joe Saunders" at this point.  But I'm gonna go with "Roy Oswalt".  A dependable proven solid starter who can be a year-rental.  His asking price would be even more steep now that he's willing to accept 1 yr contract.  If Ben somehow signs Oswalt, he woould slide right into #3 spot in the rotation and take some pressure off of Bucholz after missing most of last season with injury.  And Bard can start every 5th day.  I would say Aceves will remain in the BP and be given some spot starts here and there and give Bard some rest.  If Bard struggles, Aceves and Bard switch their spot IMO.  Signing Oswalt give instant boost in the rotation and probably the best 1-4 rotation in the league. (Letser, Beckett, Oswalt, and Bucholz)  Sources are saying Oswalt will be asking around $11-13MM but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up to $15MM.  My only concern is his health.  But what the heck... He's willing to accept one year deal and prove himself he's healthy and effective, I wouldn't mind give him a chance. (Of course he has to pass the physical)    
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    Sean....your analysis seems spot on. I would probably prefer the Aceves/Bard flip rigt away, but I can live with the experiment in the spring.  I love the Oswalt move....yes he seems to be a guy who slwasy spends time on the DL, but before last years 139 innings(some of that due to personal time he took off because of the Tornados in his home area), he has almost always pitch 200 innings or near it.....so he seems to recover well. He is certainly worth a shot on a 1 year deal and I agree he would probably want close to 15mm since he made 16mm last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

John Garland, #4 starter and inning eater

Give Doubrant the #5 slot

See if you could get Scott Kazmir on a minor league deal, if not let the kids battle it for starting depth and a 2nd lefty out of the pen

and of course, keep Bard and Aceves in the pen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bard may be a starter, he might be a closer--he is definitly a set-up guy.
    Buchholz is a fine pitcher and Ranaudo is a prospect and CC could have a breakout year.

Proposed trade:

Bard, Buchholz, Ranaudo, Salty and Carl Crawford to Seattle for 
    Pineda, Carp and their best catching or pitching prospect.
    This is just the start of a discussion--hopefully not the end of a discussion.

On a fan site in Seattle there has been a push to trade Pineda to the Angels for Morales,Trumbo and a pitcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY........"SON, TELL BEN TO STAY TUNED TO THIS BOARD, HE WILL LEARN EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO LEARN" !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]  AS DAD WOULD SAY........"SON, TELL BEN TO STAY TUNED TO THIS BOARD, HE WILL LEARN EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO LEARN" !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

HaHaHa Bill, are we bordering April Fools Day or New Years Day? This comment definitely indicates an April Fools joke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

We just re-signed Rich Hill didn't we? Maybe he can be a starter too.....at least until his elbow falls off.
    Either the RS have terrible scouting or BC doesn't know anything about putting a team together. I am gussing the latter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]We just re-signed Rich Hill didn't we? Maybe he can be a starter too.....at least until his elbow falls off. Either the RS have terrible scouting or BC doesn't know anything about putting a team together. I am gussing the latter.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

RICH HILL, DIRT CHEAP, LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD TO PAWSOX

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Promote Bard and sign Oswalt to 1 year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

First of all the word is ADVICE not ADVISE. One is a noun, the other a verb.
    Secondly, I would give Ben none, since he appears to be too full of himself to take any.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why would a Dodger fan care about the Boston rotation?Why would he care if Ben is full of himself? Why are you wasting your time here instead of being on a Dodger forum. Do you have an ulterior motive for being here such as the enjoyment of trolling ( annoying, irritating, and upsetting others)? Only a depraved person would enjoy acting that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Re: What advice would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?

Keep doing what your doing Ben, you're doing great. Adding No high priced guys, and adding great high value players. Think you. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tim Wastefield has had zero offers, so fill out the rotation by offering Wakefield a year's supply of beer and potato salad and a minor league contract for 1 Obama Dollar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Why would a Dodger fan care about the Boston rotation?Why would he care if Ben is full of himself? Why are you wasting your time here instead of being on a Dodger forum. Do you have an ulterior motive for being here such as the enjoyment of trolling ( annoying, irritating, and upsetting others)? Only a depraved person would enjoy acting that way.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    Do you read the responses to your posts?

Here's hoping that you'll direct your energies toward substantive posts in the new year.

Best regards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Looks like the only advice he needs has already been delivered by ownership:  STAY UNDER THE LUXURY TAX LEVEL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Advice for Ben:

If you and Bobby are intent on taking the best Set-up guy out of that role get a guy that can get guys out  and put him in that role and get a #4 starter that can pitch innings. 
    Matt Thornton to set-up and Gavin Floyd to start. Perhaps it will cost Ranaudo, Doubrount, Albers and Brentz.

I hope you continue to explore trades for Beckett and Crawford. Those two might make for a great trade to the Rangers or the Nationals for what we and they each need.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to What advice would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?:
    [QUOTE]How can the Red Sox fill out the rotation?
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]SpacemanEphus and Promise4You(El Tiante) as 4 & 5 .....

More seriously, I think the option of Jackson is not nearly as appealing as Kuroda or Saunders, IMO.  Cliff Corcoran (
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/cliff_corcoran/12/20/beset.pitchers.available/index.html
    ) suggests Kuroda and Oswalt are best fits for Boston.

The budget may well exclude both or all three options.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

My advice would be three fold.

1) It makes more sense to explore trading Bard for a starter than to try him as a starter.   The heavily overrated Will Middlebrooks might be the necessary enticement to get a really good one with some control left.

2) Get lots and lots of minor league pitching depth.  Guys like Garland, Cook, Mitre.  If the players already in Pawtucket outpitch them, all the better.

3) It is much, much, much smarter to try Doubront in the rotation than Bard or Aceves, let alone leaving him behind BOTH...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Bard may be a starter, he might be a closer--he is definitly a set-up guy. Buchholz is a fine pitcher and Ranaudo is a prospect and CC could have a breakout year. Proposed trade: Bard, Buchholz, Ranaudo, Salty and Carl Crawford to Seattle for  Pineda, Carp and their best catching or pitching prospect. This is just the start of a discussion--hopefully not the end of a discussion. On a fan site in Seattle there has been a push to trade Pineda to the Angels for Morales,Trumbo and a pitcher. http://moremariners.com/67-the-trade-market-for-michael-pineda/
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Mac ... you'd gut - or at least severely disable - the staff, solve nothing, IMO with this trade.  You'd trade four starters including position players, open two more spots than fill ...

Morales is available, but Trumbo is not, in the Seattle scenario mentioned.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

notin, I agree with you---Bard may be the right chip to move although the pen is so stocked right now I hate to see him traded. If you need a reliable #3 he may get you that?? Doug Fister or Max Scherzer for Bard and a Prospect. It would have to be someone that could be slotted in #2 or #3 to give up Bard--then I don't know if I would do it...

Bailey, Bard, Aceves, Jenks, Morales, Melancon, Albers, Atch, Bowden--that's 9, only 6 maybe 7 can be kept--who goes?? 

Aceves can do more than Bard can do --Bard would be my choice to get us the top level starter we need. He won't bring us the best but he would bring us a good one.

Starters:
    Lester, Buch, Beckett, Doubrount, (Wilson, Wandy Rodriguez, Gavin Floyd, Paul Maholm, Ross Ohlendorf, Saunders). Keep 5 maybe 6--who goes?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The answer depends on budget.  If they are aiming to stay under the luxury tax, then write off Oswalt, et al immediately.  It also limits the reasonable option of trading Bard for a starter because any decent, cheap starter is unlikely to be traded by the team that owns him.

I'd advise Ben to:
    • Let Bard have a shot at starting, though there will be collateral damage even if he succeeds (bullpen loses him, innings limit);
    • Give Wakefield a shot - he was fine in the first half of 2012 and overall during 2012 better and cheaper than most nbr 5s, not to mention 6 or 7s;
    • Sweep up a few cheap veteran options, maybe one will come good;
    • Look for (other) short term options while we wait (with baited breath) to see if Matsuzaka can return to his 2007/2008 form;

I don't see many/any options better than these that would keep us under the tax.

If the tax is not a concern there are any number of options, but that does not appear to be the case so I'm not wasting my time listing them e.g. Oswalt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: What advice would you give Ben to fill out the rotation?:
    [QUOTE]notin, I agree with you---Bard may be the right chip to move although the pen is so stocked right now I hate to see him traded. If you need a reliable #3 he may get you that?? Doug Fister or Max Scherzer for Bard and a Prospect. It would have to be someone that could be slotted in #2 or #3 to give up Bard--then I don't know if I would do it... Bailey, Bard, Aceves, Jenks, Morales, Melancon, Albers, Atch, Bowden--that's 9, only 6 maybe 7 can be kept--who goes??  Aceves can do more than Bard can do --Bard would be my choice to get us the top level starter we need. He won't bring us the best but he would bring us a good one. Starters: Lester, Buch, Beckett, Doubrount, (Wilson, Wandy Rodriguez, Gavin Floyd, Paul Maholm, Ross Ohlendorf, Saunders). Keep 5 maybe 6--who goes?
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see the Sox go after the extremely underated Gavin Floyd, and I would go as high as Bard.  If necessary, I'd include a reasonable prospect, maybe start with an offer of someone like Workman or Britton....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I'm going to sound like a broken record. IMO RS should look into Paul Maholm. He's a 29 yr old LH, former 1st round draft pick who just finished a 3yr/13.75 mil contract w/ Pirates whose agent is Bo Mckinnis and has pitched almost 200 innings every year. If you looking for someone cheap who might have a lot of upside this might be the guy. He's played on some of the worst teams in baseball over his career and as Pirates were a decent team last year his numbers weren't bad. Put him on a good team and might live up to the potential of a No.1 pick.
    Compare to Lester stats last yr:
                              IP     ERA   Whip    H/9  HR/9 BB/9
    Jon Lester      191.2   3.47  1.257   7.8   .9       3.5
    Paul Maholm  162      3.66  1.294   8.9   .6       2.8

Another LH starter can't hurt when going into Yankee Stadium on regular basis. I would definately give this guy 5-6 mil per for 2-3 yrs might get great return for the money.

Sections
Shortcuts