What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off?

In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off?:
    [QUOTE]Well, first Brett Myers would probably start crying. On his last trip to Boston, he was arrested for beating his wife on a public street. And as much distaste Myers has for Boston from that incident (really!!), the fans would undoubtedly be all over the 6’4” 270lbs pitcher who tossed around his 110lb wife all over Beacon Street. The Sox have been more devoted to character issues with most of their acquisitions, and Myers would be about as big of a PR nightmare as they could have. A simpler deal of Youkilis (1yr / $12.2mill) and Beckett (4 yrs / $68mill) for Lee (1yr / $16mill) and Rodriguez (2 yrs / $25mill) might make more sense. For the Astros, they get a younger local pitcher with AL experience as they prepare to switch leagues next season, and a 1B/DH player who (if they pick up his option) could hold the fort for Jonathan Singleton. Lee was a perfect fit for their DH slot next season, but there is no reason for them to extend the 36yo player with rapidly declining offensive skills. The AL jump has the potential to generate considerable baseball interest in Houston in 2013, and the Astros should take this chance to capitalize on that by acquiring some higher profile, expensive players to give a public show to the fanbase that they will be trying to win. And if they can do it without the foolish commitments involved in free agency, all the smarter. Of course, this operates on the assumption that the Astros think Youkilis can still hit.  (Of course, Beckett's shoulder inury really prohibts any deal.) For Boston, they get a tolerable SP and a big RHH bat with zero defensive skills and a much larger pre-game buffet budget. When I refer to Lee as a big bat, I am not referring to his hitting, if you get my drift. Lee covers a lot of ground in the outfield, but moreso in the same way on office building covers a lot of ground...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I can understand the reluctance to put Carlos Lee in the outfield, but leftfield at Fenway Park might be the kindest landing spot for El Caballo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Trades how about a good old fashioned struggling pitcher swap - we can sell it as a "change of scenery"?   Clay Buchholz for Jair Jurrjens? Buchholz has a longer deal, but also a slightly better track record.  Jurrjens makes more money this year, ut has arbitration eligibilite
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I agree completely notin, breaking up our current rotation is key in my opinion and thats the best way to do it.  Too many Texans with less talent than they think and little respect for anyone elses opinion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't like Delmon Young, but he helped even up the money and will be gone after this year.

I live near Houston, Cliff Lee does not want to be traded, but the idea is good to help offset the money. Brandon Lyons has a $5.5M deal that ends this year, but they have no other salary dumps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off?:
    [QUOTE]I would like to know some insight on some players mabye we can bring in, and the players we can dump out for potential trades thanks.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx[/QUOTE]

I would inquire about our boy Anibal Sanchez again even with his history of injury and Brandon McCarthy.  I believe both could be FA's next season who may be better than some of our current pitching.  Both affordable and probably available before the deadline who may help.  Marcum is another guy we could probably trade for Clay.  He had a rough PS last year but is as good or better than Clay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : I would inquire about our boy Anibal Sanchez again even with his history of injury and Brandon McCarthy.  I believe both could be FA's next season who may be better than some of our current pitching.  Both affordable and probably available before the deadline who may help.  Marcum is another guy we could probably trade for Clay.  He had a rough PS last year but is as good or better than Clay.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

These would be moves designed to win now. I think any move we make at this point should be for at least one player under team control for 2+ years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : These would be moves designed to win now. I think any move we make at this point should be for at least one player under team control for 2+ years.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Any of these moves could include signing an extension moon.  I wouldn't trade Clay for a rental.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. These guys with extensions would be nice gets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. These guys with extensions would be nice gets.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

We both know this isn't a bad ball club offensively "if healthy" but one or two creative changes in the staff could make a huge difference.  I just hope we don't fall so far back we need to wait until next season for any real chance at the PS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : Any of these moves could include signing an extension moon.  I wouldn't trade Clay for a rental.
    The Red Sox can't expect a great return for Clay Buchholz, a nearly 28-year-old pitcher whose one breakout season was accompanied by concerning peripherals.

A targeted player might insist on testing the free agent market instead of signing an extension with a troubled franchise.

The Red Sox might pay a surcharge of up to 50 percent on an extension for a worthwhile player if the Sox exceed the luxury tax threshold two years in a row. The team's contribution to any shipped-out big contract will count against the Red Sox for luxury tax purposes.

The Sox face serious challenges.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : The Red Sox can't expect a great return for Clay Buchholz, a nearly 28-year-old pitcher whose one breakout season was accompanied by concerning peripherals. A targeted player might insist on testing the free agent market instead of signing an extension with a troubled franchise. The Red Sox might pay a surcharge of up to 50 percent on an extension for a worthwhile player if the Sox exceed the luxury tax threshold two years in a row. The team's contribution to any shipped-out big contract will count against the Red Sox for luxury tax purposes. The Sox face serious challenges.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

In the case of Marcum, if he has another good year I can see him getting a nice contract but McCarthy and Anibal probably average/affordable ones even if they do test the market.  People talk about Clay as if hes completely washed up which I seriously doubt at 27.  My reasoning for trading Clay and/or Beckett is because I don't feel either "like Lackey" help our team chemistry at all.  These guys need less attitude and more focus on their issues. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see Clay regain his confidence and do very well.  Yes we have challenges because of very poor decisions in the past but its not hopeless with a little luck and creativity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The team's contribution to any shipped-out big contract will count against the Red Sox for luxury tax purposes. -Hill55

Yes, but if we trade CC and pay $8M of his $20M deal per year, we still saved $12M off the luxury tax threshhold.

Ob Buch, I agree that he has never proven that he is great, but if you take his 58 consecutive start strecth from when he was called up in 2009 to his injury in 2011, he compares pretty well to most AL starters in other categories besides ERA. His BB/9 rate is too high, but his H/9 has been pretty nice.

Out of 66 AL starters with 250+ IP from '09-'11, Buch placed:

tied for 4th in ERA at 3.10
    tied for 22nd in WHIP at 1.27
    (just behins Shileds ay 1.26 and Garza at 1.25 and ahead of Danks, Nieman, Jackson, Guthrie, and Vargas) 
    33rd in WAR with a value of $25.9M over 3 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : In the case of Marcum, if he has another good year I can see him getting a nice contract but McCarthy and Anibal probably average/affordable ones even if they do test the market.  People talk about Clay as if hes completely washed up which I seriously doubt at 27.  My reasoning for trading Clay and/or Beckett is because I don't feel either "like Lackey" help our team chemistry at all.  These guys need less attitude and more focus on their issues.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Clay regain his confidence and do very well.  Yes we have challenges because of very poor decisions in the past but its not hopeless with a little luck and creativity.
    If Clay Buchholz and Josh Beckett have attitude issues, that reduces their trade value. If the Red Sox, a team in dire need for good starting pitching, wants to trade Buchholz and Beckett, that sends a message to other teams.

For that reason, the Red Sox probably need to keep Buchholz and Beckett and work out the issues. The Texas duo will become more appealing to the fans (and their teammates) if the righthanders start pitching well and the club starts winning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It is too early to discuss trades.  When the trading deadline comes and the Red Sox are out of the race, then they will need to get prospects in return for their players. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]It is too early to discuss trades.  When the trading deadline comes and the Red Sox are out of the race, then they will need to get prospects in return for their players. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

I do agree it's too early.  But we're a message board, not the Front Office.  Talking about "watiing until July", or a team "going nowhere" is premature and quite boring.

This is just silly message board talk...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]It is too early to discuss trades.  When the trading deadline comes and the Red Sox are out of the race, then they will need to get prospects in return for their players. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]
    It's probably too early to execute a trade, but it's not too early to be exploring the market. Most trades don't happen overnight but instead are the fruits of weeks of negotiations.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are some real "Realistic" Trades we can pull off? : If Clay Buchholz and Josh Beckett have attitude issues, that reduces their trade value. If the Red Sox, a team in dire need for good starting pitching, wants to trade Buchholz and Beckett, that sends a message to other teams. For that reason, the Red Sox probably need to keep Buchholz and Beckett and work out the issues. The Texas duo will become more appealing to the fans (and their teammates) if the righthanders start pitching well and the club starts winning.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Good points hill but the keyword is "if" I agree our chances of trading anyone but a few key starters or prospects is slim to none because of their issues. Unfortunately we have little choice but to ride out the waves but it certainly never hurts to make inquires.   There are a lot of guys out there who I feel could help this club that could be available at an affordable price.

I also feel Posednik could be one of those key players down the stretch who would play hard and produce if he still has some left in the tank.