What are the chances Billy Butler becomes available this winter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

What are the chances Billy Butler becomes available this winter?

Good season for Butler.  .300 guy with good OBP.  He's mostly DHing since Hosmer is at 1B and he's not too terrible when at 1B fulltime.  He's relatively young and signed thru 2014 and 15 option at relatively cheap price tag.  He could be expensve to land but is there any chance Sox might kick the tires on him this winter?  Would Sox go with Loney and Gomez duo for 2013?  Who would you like to see at 1B in 2013?

Thanks for reading.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: What are the chances Billy Butler becomes available this winter?

If your willing to part ways with a few prospects I imagine the 26yr old who is signed thru 2014 with an option for 2015 could possibly be available...But it will cost you...With that said, can you imagine his bat in Fenway?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Royals will definitely want pitching prospects.  We probably have to give up either Barnes or Webster + one more young pitcher (Owens  or Workman) and some position players as well right (Swihart and Cecchini)?  Webster, OWens, Swihart and Cecchini for Butler and Tim Collins maybe? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They would def want one of Barnes, Webster, De La Rosa or Owens...Not sure what their needs are, but i know they got one heck of a farm system...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Any combo of Gomez, Sands and Salty.

Definitely not Loney.

The O's have two RHP throwing the first two games meaning we will see Loney(.252) and Iggy(.118); two definite outs in the lineup. Throw Lava into that mix @ .168 and Salty(.226 with 133 K's in 389 at bats).

I'd like to see Gomez at 1 B for the next 6 games to see if he can hit RH pitchers. Try Ciriaco at SS and Aviles at 3 B. I'd also like to see if the catcher they picked up from Seattle can  hit and catch.

I like Billy Butler if we don't have to give up any good prospects. If we have to give up prospects I'd rather trade for Rizzo to play 1 B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Barnes And Loney For Billy, Seal The Deal BIG BEN.....

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Definitely not Loney.

The O's have two RHP throwing the first two games meaning we will see Loney(.252) and Iggy(.118); two definite outs in the lineup. Throw Lava into that mix @ .168 and Salty(.226 with 133 K's in 389 at bats).

I'd like to see Gomez at 1 B for the next 6 games to see if he can hit RH pitchers. Try Ciriaco at SS and Aviles at 3 B. I'd also like to see if the catcher they picked up from Seattle can  hit and catch.

I like Billy Butler if we don't have to give up any good prospects. If we have to give up prospects I'd rather trade for Rizzo to play 1 B.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think Theo and Co. will let go of Rizzo without fleecing the Sox if they even entertain the thought...And Butler WILL cost you top prospects...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Loney is a FA, cant rade him...Besides, they have Hosmer at 1b already.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Definitely not Loney.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Butler would cost a lot in prospects as he's young, controlled for 3 more years and seems to be improving.  But I'm opposed to spending heavily in prospects or salary for a firstbaseman...it's too easy to find a decent one leaving budget for skill position players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Most definitely not Loney.  Gomez is short in many departments as well.  Not as much power as he should have and a very average to below average first baseman.  We need to be careful here. If Butler could be had you wouldn't hear a peep of criticism from me but I wonder what the price for him would be.  Swisher? LaRoche? Trumbo of the Angels?  Much better than what we have right now, and let me tell you something about Trumbo.  He is slumping now but he has the tools and he would tear Fenway apart.   This is the main guy I would go after if we could get him, then Swisher and La Roche and Butler.......BUT NO LONEY!!!!!!  NO MORE DA@N DODGERS ON OUR TEAM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Butler would cost a lot in prospects as he's young, controlled for 3 more years and seems to be improving.  But I'm opposed to spending heavily in prospects or salary for a firstbaseman...it's too easy to find a decent one leaving budget for skill position players.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Plus he rates out very badly at 1B.  Guys like VMart, Youk, Ike Davis, Morneau, Smoak, could be available.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good season for Butler.  .300 guy with good OBP.  He's mostly DHing since Hosmer is at 1B and he's not too terrible when at 1B fulltime.  He's relatively young and signed thru 2014 and 15 option at relatively cheap price tag.  He could be expensve to land but is there any chance Sox might kick the tires on him this winter?  Would Sox go with Loney and Gomez duo for 2013?  Who would you like to see at 1B in 2013?

Thanks for reading.

[/QUOTE]

He will cost, for certain.  Are you prepared to give up at least one from Bogaerts, Bradlry, Barnes and Webster?  KC isnt trading him for Kalish and Britton...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Plus he rates out very badly at 1B.  Guys like VMart, Youk, Ike Davis, Morneau, Smoak, could be available.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in the minority on this board, Joe, but I don't think the Sox will treat next season as a "bridge year."  I think they'll take some some shots on guys who are "high dollars, yet short term."  Morneau would seem to be a perfect fit.  I think Tori Hunter would also be a perfect short term fit.  I never do the "predict the line-up thing" but too many people think this team is in full rebuild mode.

Off the top of my head and not unreasonable...

Ells

Pedroia

Ortiz

Morneau

Middlebrooks

Hunter

Ross/Kalish

Salty/Lava

Iglesias

Buchholz

Lester

200 innings eater type (Kuroda for Yanks this year for example)

Lackey

Doubront

Bullpen crap shoot as always, but solid foundation

A team like that could compete.  I'm a little skeptical that all of a sudden in 2014 that we will have 5 prospects all ready to go.  Some will regress, get injured, be traded, etc....