What are You Reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

What are You Reading?

With no games to watch, I find extra time to get into a few books. Currently I'm delving into Norman Mailer's "Oswald's Tale", an account of the Life of Lee Harvey Oswald, and "A Salty Piece of Land", Singer Jimmy Buffet's foray into literature which provides the light reading for me. Also, is anyone going digital, Kindle or Nook? How do you like it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: What are You Reading?

I am currently reading Game Six by Mark Frost, about y'know, THAT game six. As a supplement, I am also watching the DVD of the same game and World Series. The 1975 Red Sox are still one of my all-time favorite teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Most of the books I read are non-fiction books about sports or music.  There is a near-endless supply of them available for free at the library.  But my wife bought me Steve King's new novel about the JFK assassination for Christmas and I'll be reading that soon.  I've always had somewhat of an obsession with 11/22/63 so that kind of ties in with your Oswald bio, YOUK.  No digital reading for me though, I'm staying hard copy.  I spend enough time staring at computer & TV screens already. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: What are You Reading?:
    [QUOTE]Most of the books I read are non-fiction books about sports or music.  There is a near-endless supply of them available for free at the library.  But my wife bought me Steve King's new novel about the JFK assassination for Christmas and I'll be reading that soon.  I've always had somewhat of an obsession with 11/22/63 so that kind of ties in with your Oswald bio, YOUK.  No digital reading for me though, I'm staying hard copy.  I spend enough time staring at computer & TV screens already. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hey, me too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

nothing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I read fiction that no one will believe, like The Big Short, about the housing debacle.  On guy loses $9,000,000,000 for his firm in one trade.  30 years ago, you could've bought a decent chunk of the S&P 500 for that type of scratch.

Fortunately, it's fiction, since I know no sane company would give one person that type of money.

FWIW, the book is a pretty good primer on what went wrong, if not a little preachy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I bought Kindles for my two sisters a few years back and borrowed them to see how they compare to hardcover. I was so impressed that I bought the Kindle DX ( 9 " screen). It is easy on the eyes inside and outside. It is a cinch to find and order books through the Amazon Kindle store. There are many free books available and most are less expensive than hardcover. You can read numerous reviews at the Amazon website.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i shouldve put a disclaimer that im inbetween classes and shortly will be reading the page turner, A TEACHER'S GUIDE TO SCHOOL LAW...

uggghhhh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]i shouldve put a disclaimer that im inbetween classes and shortly will be reading the page turner, A TEACHER'S GUIDE TO SCHOOL LAW... uggghhhh
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Since I'm an avid cyclist and collector of vintage cycles I'm reading the latest COG Magazine that's actually published here in Milwaukee. Since I'm also an archeology buff I'm reading an ancient publication called Mystery Hill published in 1977 about America's version of Stone Henge in Salem New Hampshire, a site I visited many times in my younger days and now just getting back to after 30+ years of collecting dust. 

Hetchinspete. 

P.S. If anyone else shares the interest in fancy British cycles see the bikes on www.hetchins.org on the Gallery of Completed Bikes.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I am currently reading "Obama: A New Communist Manifesto from the Grass Roots Down: A Fair Share to Each According to His/Her/It Needs, From Each According to His Means".

For baseball reading, I am currently reading "Softlaw's 2012 Baseball Bible on Value and Performance & How to Construct a Championship Roster from Modern Big Labor Union Pool".

For comical reading, I am currently reading the comments of Mooncheeks.

I do not like the digital device reading because it is very straining on my eyes, but I do expect Obama to, during a do nothing House time out labeled out of session, outalw paper books to reduce the impact of global warming. Obama is left with no choice but to unilaterally act and decree to fix our problems.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ted Williams, by Leigh Montville. His Babe Ruth book is good too. Ruth made Mantle and Chamberlain look like Mother Theresa.

I'm also in the middle of:

When Pride Still Mattered, the Vince Lombardi story; - well done. Even back in the 20s and 30s, football was a game of detailed strategy and tremendous toughness, maybe even moreso.

Veeck as in Wreck- his scathing criticism of that scoundrel George Weiss (Yankee FO & GM, 20s-60s) is remarkable (Mantles' nickname for Weiss was De Fuhrer)

Life, by Keith Richards- Ah, to be a member of the Rolling Stones; his two favorite things to do to relax? Reading Books, and listening to Mozart!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Backlit e-readers indeed are straining on your eyes but Kindles use something called e-ink which is easy on the eyes even in direct sunlight.

Amazon.com recently stated that their electronic books are now outselling their paper books. That is definitely good news for the environment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Oddly enough, a (sort of) baseball book:  The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach.

It's fiction.

Got it for Christmas and I recommend it highly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]Ted Williams , by Leigh Montville. His Babe Ruth book is good too. I'm also in the middle of: When Pride Still Mattered, the Vince Lombardi story;  - well done. Even back in the 20s and 30s, football was a game of detailed strategy. Veeck as in Wreck - his scathing criticism of that scoundrel George Weiss (Yankee FO & GM, 30s-50s) is remarkable (Mantles' nickname for Weiss was De Fuhrer ) Life, by Keith Richards- Ah, to be a member of the Rolling Stones; his two favorite things to do to relax? Reading Books, and listening to Mozart!
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

i recommend Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat New York's Big Three and the Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953  by Sol Gittleman. There are some good insights on George Weiss, a very successful, but very stingy GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : i recommend Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat New York's Big Three and the Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953  by Sol Gittleman. There are some good insights on George Weiss, a very successful, but very stingy GM.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Thanks, another supposedly good but odd book (I didnt read it), was about Moe Berg, the baseball player/Spy. It was briefly mentioned in the Ruth book; after Ruth's Japan tour in '34 (which included quite an entourage of players), Berg mysteriously travelled to Russia. Also, Japanese authorities ransacked his hotel room an detained him (Japan was a pre-enemy then)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : i recommend Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat New York's Big Three and the Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953  by Sol Gittleman. There are some good insights on George Weiss, a very successful, but very stingy GM.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Mantle won the Triple Crown in '56; in '57, he ONLY hit .365 with a .512 OBP. Weiss wanted to cut his salary!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Recently I read Tom Clancy's 'Net Force.' I am now reading John Grisham's 'An Innocent Man.' The Grisham book does have a baseball related theme, it is a true story of a crackerjack high school baseball player who was wrongly accused of murder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver ( I read her "Prodigal Summer" earlier...excellent writer!)

Finished King Leopold's Ghost not long ago. Wonderful presentation of history of the exploitation and worse of the Congo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

In Response to What are You Reading?:
    I'd like to point out that between my occasional rants as theredstain on Boston message boards, I have written a Kindle ebook which I feel warns families of the danger of "free babysitters" and sheds light on the mysterious ailment called Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personality Disorder).
     Miranda's Shadow tells the true story of "perhaps the most abused girl in America" and how  Sexual Sadism and brainwashing caused this adorable 5- yr. old child to develop multiple personalities, OCD, low self-esteem, suicidal tendencies, cutting, and a lifetime of shame and guilt plus emotional and physical damage.
     Despite 15 years of therapy it was this author who discovered the four "others" who all co-operate in the 18-months of interviews. The star of the book is the alternate personality "Little Miranda" - the actual child victim - who believes she's still in kindergarden - and still in danger - and "worthless" for "not stopping it" "but I couldn't" she confided.
    While the story is brutally frank at times, and not for the overly squeamish, it can be an important look at the worst-case scenerio of abusive relatives taking advantage of a family's trust.
    The victim, now 39, and presently recovering from operations to correct internal damage from her days as a victim, receives 50% of all royalties. Reviews are displayed at the Kindle Store page. Simply Google "Miranda's Shadow" to locate the link.
     Thanks "sports fans" for enduring my blatent self-promotion - but all 50 literary agents who bothered to reply declined to even request a sample chapter of any book about "child abuse", so I must beat the bushes myself to save the children.
    Meanwhile, "go Saux and Celts!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

a--holes finish first by tucker max cant wait to read Hilarity insues and sloppy seconds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Wonderful presentation of history of the exploitation and worse of the Congo

No question that exploitation in Africa should be at the forefront of world politics. We need more people who do not exploit other people. For those who read about exploitation, it is very important to end your personal exploitation of other people. Refusing entitlements is a good start.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I am trying to get into Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.  I am also reading Montmorency:  Thief, Liar, Gentleman?.  And, as always, The Week is there for when I need some quick reading materials.

I am biding my time until the next Bernard Cornwell historical fiction book comes in the mail on the 17th.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]I bought Kindles for my two sisters a few years back and borrowed them to see how they compare to hardcover. I was so impressed that I bought the Kindle DX ( 9 " screen). It is easy on the eyes inside and outside. It is a cinch to find and order books through the Amazon Kindle store. There are many free books available and most are less expensive than hardcover. You can read numerous reviews at the Amazon website.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Utica-I am finding that some public libraries also have Kindle items that can be "checked out" like regular books!  That seems really cool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Getting Stoned with Savages" by Maarten Troost.  Not as good as the first book.

"All the Devils Are Here"   by Joe Nocera and Bethany McLean.  And yeah I am taking my time to get around to that one...