What are You Reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: What are You Reading?

When I'm in bed, I'm reading "The Cold Winter: American in the Korean War" by David Halberstam. I have about 100 pages left.

When I'm in the family room, I just started reading "Fenway, 1912" by Glenn Stout.

When I finish the Halberstam book, I'm going to read, "From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations since 1776" by George Herring.

As far as the Kindle or such. My sister has an Kindle and it's OK. I want an iPad but not for books. When it comes to books, I like a real book -- hardback, not paperback. I like the feel of it. I like turning pages. I tend to read books in the 700 to 800 page range -- sometimes more -- so it's I like watching the bookmark get further and further into the book. You get a sense of achievement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I love biographies. Real stories about real people. My last was Goldie Hawn. I went to see my dad once in a VFW he loved to hang out in, and a guy came up to me and said "you're Goldie Hawn", I took that as a compliment, knowing a little abut her and her views on life and people in general. Probably why I read her book in the first place. An honorable mention to Suzanne Sommers, although not a biography, more a book about dealing with cancer, which has recently affected my family. But I especially love rock biographies. It's amazing when you read them and find how closely their lives intersect with each other.  Especially bands from the 60s. Watched "This might get loud" with Jack White, Jimmy Page and the Edge. Three amazing musicians who got together to share their knowledge. Every fan's dream if they ever thought of putting people together just to see what they had to say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Roy, just before Christmas I bought myself a Kindle Fire ($199) which is $300 less than an IPad. I will hold your Kindle books, Magazines, Newspapers, Music library, surfs the Web, and applications. It does almost everything that the Ipad does but is limited to WiFi ( your home network ). It will work also at WiFi hotspots in your neighborhood. It can also stream Netflix or Amazon movies ( free if you have Amazon Prime service). With that you can also "borrow" popular Kindle books for free for one month. For reviews, go to Amazon.com or magazines such as Consumer Reports, PCWorld, CNET.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: What are You Reading?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Since I'm an avid cyclist and collector of vintage cycles I'm reading the latest COG Magazine that's actually published here in Milwaukee. Since I'm also an archeology buff I'm reading an ancient publication called Mystery Hill published in 1977 about America's version of Stone Henge in Salem New Hampshire, a site I visited many times in my younger days and now just getting back to after 30+ years of collecting dust.  Hetchinspete.  P.S. If anyone else shares the interest in fancy British cycles see the bikes on www.hetchins.org on the Gallery of Completed Bikes.  
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]
     Thank you, the web site was interesting, before this I had never heard of the Hetchins cycle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I am currently reading "Obama: A New Communist Manifesto from the Grass Roots Down: A Fair Share to Each According to His/Her/It Needs, From Each According to His Means". For baseball reading, I am currently reading "Softlaw's 2012 Baseball Bible on Value and Performance & How to Construct a Championship Roster from Modern Big Labor Union Pool". For comical reading, I am currently reading the comments of Mooncheeks. I do not like the digital device reading because it is very straining on my eyes, but I do expect Obama to, during a do nothing House time out labeled out of session, outalw paper books to reduce the impact of global warming. Obama is left with no choice but to unilaterally act and decree to fix our problems.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

That was great! Obama's power grab; The Audacity of Hope, So that's what that means.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I love biographies. Real stories about real people. My last was Goldie Hawn. I went to see my dad once in a VFW he loved to hang out in, and a guy came up to me and said "you're Goldie Hawn", I took that as a compliment, knowing a little abut her and her views on life and people in general. Probably why I read her book in the first place. An honorable mention to Suzanne Sommers, although not a biography, more a book about dealing with cancer, which has recently affected my family. But I especially love rock biographies. It's amazing when you read them and find how closely their lives intersect with each other.  Especially bands from the 60s. Watched "This might get loud" with Jack White, Jimmy Page and the Edge. Three amazing musicians who got together to share their knowledge. Every fan's dream if they ever thought of putting people together just to see what they had to say.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
     Love to read biographies, especially political. It's fascinating how some end up being in the right place at the right time, or persevere until getting the breaks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Roy, just before Christmas I bought myself a Kindle Fire ($199) which is $300 less than an IPad. I will hold your Kindle books, Magazines, Newspapers, Music library, surfs the Web, and applications. It does almost everything that the Ipad does but is limited to WiFi ( your home network ). It will work also at WiFi hotspots in your neighborhood. It can also stream Netflix or Amazon movies ( free if you have Amazon Prime service). With that you can also "borrow" popular Kindle books for free for one month. For reviews, go to Amazon.com or magazines such as Consumer Reports, PCWorld, CNET.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

I heard they were pretty good. My sister got a Kindle when they first came out and likes it. My other sister has an iPad, which suits her needs at work. I really don't have a need for either right now. My laptop and desktops fill my computer needs (and iPhone) for now. And I have enough books in my library that I haven't read to get me through the year. A tablet would be a luxory item rnoght now.

When I finally get a tablet, I'll give it a look. However, I've been an Apple guy for more than 20 years now -- my laptop and desktop at home are Macs -- so we'll see. It might not be smart financially, but I can't see myself not buying the iPad or getting away from Macs anytime soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I love biographies. Real stories about real people. My last was Goldie Hawn. I went to see my dad once in a VFW he loved to hang out in, and a guy came up to me and said "you're Goldie Hawn", I took that as a compliment, knowing a little abut her and her views on life and people in general. Probably why I read her book in the first place. An honorable mention to Suzanne Sommers, although not a biography, more a book about dealing with cancer, which has recently affected my family. But I especially love rock biographies. It's amazing when you read them and find how closely their lives intersect with each other.  Especially bands from the 60s. Watched "This might get loud" with Jack White, Jimmy Page and the Edge. Three amazing musicians who got together to share their knowledge. Every fan's dream if they ever thought of putting people together just to see what they had to say.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I like rock bios too. I've read bios on Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who and Eric Clapton from some of the top rock 'n' roll writers and they were all very good.

Beside political and historical figures, I also like bios of old-time movie stars. A new biography of Spencer Tracy just came out that I want to get. I also got Walter Issacson's bio of Steve Jobs for Christmas that I'll read sometime this year. It will probably be my family room reading when I finish the Fenway book.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? :  Love to read biographies, especially political. It's fascinating how some end up being in the right place at the right time, or persevere until getting the breaks.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

I like political bios when they're done well -- not hatchet jobs on a conservative written by a liberal or vice-versa or political P.R. jobs.

One of the best bios I have read was the first volume of Nixon by Stephen Ambrose. He's up front about not being a Nixon guy, but he's very fair in the writing. I read the first volume years ago and kept putting off getting subsequet volumes. I need to go to Amazon to find the other two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I like political bios when they're done well -- not hatchet jobs on a conservative written by a liberal or vice-versa or political P.R. jobs. One of the best bios I have read was the first volume of Nixon by Stephen Ambrose. He's up front about not being a Nixon guy, but he's very fair in the writing. I read the first volume years ago and kept putting off getting subsequet volumes. I need to go to Amazon to find the other two.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Nixon parlaying his war time poker winnings into a grub stake for Law School is really something, especially with his Quaker upbringing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Just discovered a new (to me) manga called Major - which is about - what else - baseball. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? :  Nixon parlaying his war time poker winnings into a grub stake for Law School is really something, especially with his Quaker upbringing.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Regardless if you like him or hate him, I've always felt he was one of the most brilliant (intellectually) and fascinating men we've had in the White House.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Exactly. Regardless if you like him or hate him, I've always felt he was one of the most brilliant (intellectually) and fascinating men we've had in the White House.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Major baseball fan, a thinking man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Nice change of pace, Youk.  For relaxation after a day of pounding the therapy pavement, I am reading a delicious collection of short stories by Grace Paley ("Enormous Changes at the Last Minute").  I have also been working hard for the past year on my hoped-for theological magnum opus "Perchance to Dream" (string theory meets dream phenomenology meets evolutionary cosmology/theology meets Swedenborg and Teilhard de Chardin) and, in that regard, am re-reading one of my all-time philosophical faves on the Kindle, Wlliam James' "A Pluralistic Universe".  I am also reading the free "How To" pamphlet, "Sounding As Pretentious and As Pseudo-Intellectual As Possible on Internet Chat Forums: A Life Guide to Winning Friends and Influencing Uncles".
        BTW, I do love the Kindle (the William James upload was free) because I can make the font larger than a conventional book, and I find I am able to read a lot faster as a result.

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

A good Novel:

Waiting for Teddy Williams by Howard Frank Mosher.

Recommended by:

Ken Burns
    Dan Shaughnessy
    Bill Spaceman Lee
    Glenn Stout
    Jodi Picoult
    Chris Bohjalian
    Richard Russo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone looking for a decent baseball read might like If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock.  Cool story about a man who bangs his head and comes to on a Gilded Age train, travelling with an early ball club.  Mostly fiction, but filled with non fiction facts about the early days of the game. 

Also loved When Pride Still Mattered.  I'm currently rereading A Sense of Where You Are (Bill Bradley).  Great read.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Most of the books I read are non-fiction books about sports or music.  There is a near-endless supply of them available for free at the library.  But my wife bought me Steve King's new novel about the JFK assassination for Christmas and I'll be reading that soon.  I've always had somewhat of an obsession with 11/22/63 so that kind of ties in with your Oswald bio, YOUK.  No digital reading for me though, I'm staying hard copy.  I spend enough time staring at computer & TV screens already. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
     Saw that King tome at Wally World, that is one large book! Have always had an interst in the JFK tragedy. Have multiple LP's of Vaughan Meader's Kenedy Comedy skits, classic. Lenny Bruce said two people died that day in Dallas, JFK and Vaughan Meader.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I have that Vaughan Meader record. I also have some old Shelley Bermam and Allen sherman comic routines. We are dating ourselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I have that Vaughan Meader record. I also have some old Shelley Bermam and Allen sherman comic routines. We are dating ourselves.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqw_cvgrz0s&feature=related

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I just finished reading "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound", about Phil Spector rise and fall to costing the taxpayers. For those who know little about the nasty side of the music business, as well as the enjoyable music personality stories, this is a must read. Spector's Christmas album is the gold standard for Christmas music. He was a non-practicing Juden, as of publishing date, but loved the pomp and circumstance of the Christmas season. This book should teach all utopiasts that mankind will not create utopia.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I just finished reading "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound", about Phil Spector rise and fall to costing the taxpayers. For those who know little about the nasty side of the music business, as well as the enjoyable music personality stories, this is a must read. Spector's Christmas album is the gold standard for Christmas music. He was a non-practicing Juden, as of publishing date, but loved the pomp and circumstance of the Christmas season. This book should teach all utopiasts that mankind will not create utopia.   
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Hank, met a lawyer yesterday, he was in town for the Clarence Clemmons tribute, He works for some of the guys appearing, Southside Johnny, and members of the E Street Band, he was from NJ, knows the Boss, wish I would have had more time, the stories...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918 (Modern Wars)

Holger Herwig (Author)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The above is the book that is on its way from Amazon.com right now, a few months ago I finished The Silmarillion by Tolkien and Unfinished Tales by Tolkien.

I admit I may read one entire book per year, not a lot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918 (Modern Wars) Holger Herwig  (Author)
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting. I've found WWI somewhat boring to read about, at least compared to the political happenings that led up to the war and the post-war dealings.

Western European politics from around the 1850s through 1917, dealing with the unification of Italy and Germany and problems with the Austria-Hungarian Empire, rising nationalism and the troubles monarchies were having down to all the treaties that were created that led to WW I is good stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Wish that I had time / discipline to tune into the History Channels and the Military Channel more often. In high school I hated history but find it much more interesting now. It makes you feel how extremely fortunate you are that you were born into the present generation.